The Puch Austro-Daimler (AD) was designed by Porsche in the 1980's. The bike came out the same year as the Puch Cobra and Puch Dart.
It was available in both a 1 speed or 2 speed automatic.
1 Speed E50
- The 1 speed AD engine was slightly modernized version of a normal E50. It has a needle bearing piston pin, three shoe clutch, and the pedal sprocket goes through the engine as opposed to the back wheel.
2 Speed ZA50
- The 2 speed uses a ZA50, with many differences from a standard engine. Some of the more noticeable differences are in the cylinder/head, (which has a different fin cut, an angled exhaust port, and a 3 stud intake mount), and the transmission cover, (which has a slightly different shape.)
- In addition, the primary drive shaft is extended further out of the left hand side of the engine, and contains not only the drive sprocket but a 1 way ratcheting worm gear and pedal sprocket, which allows for pedaling by way of a short chain to the pedals shaft/sprocket. This mechanism transfers power to the drive chain which allows pedaling, and starting the motor.
- Both engines use a 12mm Bing Type 15-16-17-18 carburator
- Because of the shape of the subframe and the way the chain fits in it, these bikes can only be minimally regeared. Getting to the front drive sprocket requires getting a thick, weird circlip off. (I had to cut mine).
- A stock Puch Maxi exhaust header makes a perfect intake, putting your carb directly in the center of the frame, (much like a Derbi.)
1 speed Components
The insides of an Austro-Daimler 1 speed E50 Engine
The top of the Puch AD Engine Case
Drive side of the AD Engine
Clutch side of the AD Engine
The view from behind the Puch AD Clutch Cover. The component on the left of the image is where the Pedal Sprocket installs.
The Clutch and Clutch Cover for the Puch Austro-Daimler Engine
The Interior AD Clutch Cover. The Sprocket on the right is the Pedal Gear.
The drive gear, clutch, and crank of the Puch AD Engine
The Pedal (left) and Drive (right) chains for the Puch AD
A manual for the Puch Austro-Daimler is available on VintageMopeds.net(direct link)
|Austro-Daimler • Cobra • Dart • Korado • JCPenney Pinto |
Magnum • Magnum X • Maxi • Newport