Motobecane variator disassembly
Here it is the best way I know of to crack open a variator without dealer tools:
Reasons to crack a variator:
- to grease the balls
- Removing a variator ball
- Shaving the back plate
- Installing a performance variating plate
- Using an AV7 variator on an AV10 motor
--Elldawg99 22:37, 11 December 2007 (EST)
- you can just drill a couple screws into your workbench to line up with these holes here or use 2 x 3/8in upside down drill bits mounted in vertically in a vice, set those holes onto it, thus immobilizing the assembly.
- Then use some heat to loosen up the nut on the back plate and break it free with a long wrench (or use a spare set of handlebars for a lever).
- Once you break the nut free, use some big channel lock pliers to break free the back plate.
- also, I noticed that these screws here:
Had been locked in place with little dabs of weld. I had to clear out the slots with a flathead screwdriver and some firm but gentle hammer taps.
- I like this way better because there is much less chance of warping the variator with the vise.