Talk:Moped Laws: West

There are no discussions on this page.

California requires an M2 license to operate a moped. Here's a quick-reference guide from the DMV:

Specifically, (unmodified) gas powered mopeds meet the definition of CVC ss406(a) seen here:

And are subject to the licensing requirements laid out in ss12804.9:


(5) (A) Class M2 includes the following:

(i) A motorized bicycle or moped, or a bicycle with an attached motor, except a motorized bicycle described in subdivision (b) of Section 406.

(ii) A motorized scooter.

(B) Authority to operate vehicles included in class M2 may be granted by endorsement on a class A, B, or C license upon completion of an appropriate examination, except that no endorsement is required for a motorized scooter. Persons holding a class M1 license or endorsement may operate vehicles included in class M2 without further examination.

You can also review the requirements of a class "C" license in that section and see that it does not include mopeds.

Before editing, please link to your sources for why this is not correct.

Return to "Moped Laws: West" page.