The Maxi is a model of moped manufactured by the Puch Corporation. They were imported into Canada under the name Bombardier. Some call it "The Volkswagen of Mopeds" due to the ease of maintenance and their similarity through the years, just like a VW.
- Maxi S - The typical, full suspension commuter version with an E50 (one speed) engine
- Maxi D or LS- Same as the S, but with a double seat (factory long seat) for a passenger
- Maxi N - A rigid frame, with no speedometer. It was cheaper than other models, and dubbed the "Poor man's maxi"
- Maxi Sport MKII - Full suspension, mag wheels, ZA50 (two speed) engine, longer seat (but not enough for a passenger)
- Newport - Same as a Maxi S, but with different decals and hand pinstriping and sometimes a brown saddle. They also came with reflective whitewalls
- Newport L - Updated Newport with swoop decals instead of pinstriping, black transmission cover and flywheel cover, and a puffy saddle
- Newport Auto-start/Oil Inject - Newport featuring metallic paint, oil injection, and no clutch lever
- Newport II - Newport featuring a ZA50 (two speed) engine
The Maxi's engine came in three different horsepower ratings: 1, 1.5, and 2 HP, which correspond to mopeds limited to 20, 25, and 30 m.p.h., respectively. The differences in Puch horsepower between the 1.5 HP and 2 HP versions are small, and it is believed that the 1.5 HP version can be altered to effectively become a 2 HP version by derestricting the airbox and exhaust pipe.
Maxis were produced in both E50 (one speed) and ZA50 (two speed) versions. The two versions can be identified by the shape of their gearbox covers; one-speeds have circular gearboxes while two-speeds have rectangular gearboxes. Both types are automatic transmissions, operated by a centrifugal clutch, which engages once the engine reaches sufficient RPMs.
- Bosch W8AC
- Bosch Platinum 4214
- NGK B6HS
- Champion L86
The Maxi's fuel tank is contained within the moped's frame. It cannot be removed. Fuel tank capacity is .85 gallons.
The following are internal links to wiring diagrams for various Puch Maxi models:
- Puch Maxi Owners Manual
- Puch Service Manual 1980 - 1981
- Puch Service Manual 1980 -1981 PDF (printable)
- Puch Spare Parts Manual 1978 - 1980
- Derestricting a Puch Maxi
|Austro-Daimler • Cobra • Dart • Korado • JCPenney Pinto |
Magnum • Magnum X • Maxi • Newport