Jawa Motors is a Czech producer of motorcycles that also produced mopeds.
Founded in 1929 by Janecek, the company name is a combination of the first letters of the founder's name and the first two letters of their motorcycle product, the Wanderer.
Jawa made a variety of two-stroke mopeds and was one of the first companies to include electronic ignition on their mopeds. Unfortunately, the stock thyristor unit was prone to failure. Jawa mopeds now have a fairly poor reputation due to the difficulty of getting replacement parts and the high failure rate of the thyristor unit.
Babetta was a moped built in Czechoslovakia and marketed under the Jawa name in other countries. Originally the Babetta was conceived as lightweight moped to compete with the Solex moped, a brand which was popular during the 1960s. The first Babetta mopeds in 1970 featured very large 23-inch wheels, but these were soon swapped out in favor of smaller 16-inch wheels. The Babetta was notable for its electronic ignition — the first time a transistorized contact-less ignition had been used in a moped.
The original Babetta 206 was joined by the 207 in 1975. The difference between the two models is that the 207 featured full suspension front and rear, whereas the 206 had a rigid frame. In 1983 the original models were replaced by the new 210 model, which featured a new engine and a one or two speed transmission. 
- Jawa ignition testing - Diagnose your erratic or absent spark
- Jawa Thyristor - No spark? Build your own Thyristor for fun and profit!
- Jawa Tuning - Want to go faster? Or perhaps dabble in the Dark Arts?
- Repairing a Jawa Petcock - Fix that leaky petcock!
- Moped Riders Association - Service manual for Jawa 210
- Jawa-Power - A great site that sells Jawa parts. It is available in English as well.
- JawaMoped - History and overview of Jawa, some good technical data and manuals, especially for the 210 models
- Jawa.nl - A Jawa community site complete with forum hosted in the Netherlands. There doesn't seem to be an English language version.