Diblasi folding bike w/weird Peugeot. How fast do I dare?

Terbo Speghetti /

So I'm trying to decide how far I can go with a build on one of these folding diblasi bikes.

image12.jpeg

They're real weird, instead of the engine moving like a normal French bike, the rear pulley moves on a whole sprung arm. That assembly is probably gonna be the first thing I try and make a stiffer one of, maybe a foot launch-lever type apparatus. That much I know I want.

But where to go from there? How fast would you even ride one of these? The rims are two-piece, 5" diameter. Supposedly it's good for 32-35 as-is, but my money is on 28 even after a good carb clean.

So what are people's thoughts? Would you go 50mph on 5" 2-piece rims if it was an option?

Re: Diblasi folding bike w/weird Peugeot. How fast do I dare?

I'd start with 35mph and see if it feels like you are gonna die or not.

Is it a Peugeot or a motobecane. The one I had was basicly a motobecane engine. Almost identical

Terbo Speghetti /

You're probably right. I dunno dick about a French bike

Def a Moby, the few I've fixed were all single speed AV7's with Tomos ignitions, super wild

Id like to see how it variates!

We 70cc av10 swapped one and it was a total nightmare machine. They’re crazy sketchy in stock form, especially the first generation.

jessie stephenson knows a lot about these, we have had rambling drunken conversations about them, maybe he'll chime in.

Terbo Speghetti /

This is def one of the later ones with the toothed drive belt.

That's the rear pulley ass'y in motion like Andy wanted to see. I can't really start it rn, no gas available and I'm not supposed to be driving after my concussion. But I swear I've seen it variate and I'm not hallucinating lol. Ryan cranks has one too, we bought em together in Florida and I remember having my mind blown when I figured out it was variated without moving the engine

> Terbo Speghetti wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> This is def one of the later ones with the toothed drive belt.

>

>

>

> That's the rear pulley ass'y in motion like Andy wanted to see. I can't

> really start it rn, no gas available and I'm not supposed to be driving

> after my concussion. But I swear I've seen it variate and I'm not

> hallucinating lol. Ryan cranks has one too, we bought em together in

> Florida and I remember having my mind blown when I figured out it was

> variated without moving the engine

Thats freakin cool! but it could just move to keep engine tension? If the cheeks of the variator move, then its variated for sure, you should be able to slide em together if you take the belt off

Terbo Speghetti /

The cheeks most definitely move, I should have included that in the video but the belt is a bitch to get on/off

Yea Ryan and I rode minis around Milwaukee a while back and he was on his. It went 35mph iirc. Maybe 38?

It definitely variates and is a totally cool goofy single variated system.

> Terbo Speghetti wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> The cheeks most definitely move, I should have included that in the

> video but the belt is a bitch to get on/off

Ghaaaa this is awesome!

Dirty30 Dillon /

The big sketch factor on these was always frame rigidity. Figuring out a good solution for that would be my first start.

I agree with him ^

the wheels might be alright for 50+, I did 60 on a mini bike with cast 2 piece wheels but yours are stamped (at least it looks like they are) so maybe they'd bend easier?

Terbo Speghetti /

Yeah, that's gonna be fun on a folding bike. But maybe I can come up with some pieces to add after unfolding it...

MID-HIGH 30'S YOU COULD KEEP UP WITH A RALLY - ULTIMATE RALLYBIKE.

Terbo Speghetti /

Oh it can scrotally do that, I'm just deciding how far I can push it. A rally on a bike with a max speed of 36 is no fun, gotta have some amount of head room to pass someone or whatever

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account