What throttle cable on your hobbit with vm20?

I have a hobbit with upgraded pieces and now the carb stick out the back just below the seat. My first time having a carb in this position and I had a few throttle cables be too short and have to dangle between my legs which seemed super sketch in so many ways. So I got a long one to route below the tank like it should be, only making the cable go so low and the carb being up so high, I had to wrap the cable around the back of the seat post and come back to the carb. This seems less than ideal just for practical means, but it totally works and I have no concerns of it getting pulled on by accident.

I'm just curious what other folks have done to solve this issue when using these types of upgrades.

This is the cable I grabbed.

https://www.treatland.tv/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=throttle-cable-universal-2050

16525472471886827402224051187834.jpg

Re: What throttle cable on your hobbit with vm20?

Jay Rivett /

For reference this is what the shorter cables required me to do. You can see the cable cross over the center of the frame.

IMG_20220501_204511_021.jpg

I know that the housing can be trimmed down on the new longer cable but with how the cable enters the carb on top that would cause the same issue as the shorter cable with it coming up so high right where my legs are.

Having it wrapped around back of the seat allows it to be out of my legs way.

Could you not get a 90* cable adjuster like found on bings and Sha’s to allow you to route the cable along the frame till you need to shoot up for the carb?

Dirty30 Dillon /

Yeah, 90* on the carb, and shorten the cable to the right length.

Jay Rivett /

The vm20 uses a larger thread, so far I have not found a 90 that is the correct size.

Jay Rivett /

Also, looking to see solutions not theories. Maybe supply me with a helpful link. I can keep throwing money on things that might work. And to be honest I'm not sure a 90 bend will do me any favors due to height position and location of the carb. Stock carbs for these fit inside the subframe so there is no issue with a cable coming up and between your legs. I'm interested in seeing what others have done to route their cable safely.

Aaron Ward /

Search Bendy on Treats. Pick your flavor. The ones that say they fit del, mikuni, Bing work.

IMG_20180311_171057.jpg

Jay Rivett /

Thanks for the heads up on the Bendys. Really do not think that is solving any problems with a carb that is under your legs tho. Man if the cab was placed where it is for an e50 like shown then any thing would work fine. Even just having it go straight in like it does now.

Perhaps someone with a big carb outside of the sub frame on a Honda hobbit would be able to chime in on this one...

Dirty30 Dillon /

If it were me, I would just buy one of these and route the cable under the covers/tank like it's supposed to be.

I have used that exact bendy to fit carbs in WEIRD places on scoots before and it's sick. I am sure you could order it from Treats or DOS (maybe actually a good chance DOS and the bois have one sitting on a shelf, I know this adjuster came with the Malossi PHBL kit for Smallframes).

EDIT: I also have to admit that I have no idea why this intake setup keeps getting put on bikes. The design basically goes against every feature you would want from a high rpm, CVT, reed-valved motor, just so you can change jets, etc. easier.

I had the '77 VM20 intake, and while I had to timesert the shitty cast aluminum and reflatten every surface, the design was in the right direction.

No more long-dong intakes that plop your carb out the side of the bike. Let's get some short, flow-tested intakes that let us use real airboxes. (edited)

Jay Rivett /

So currently I have the cable routed under the tank and it would be beneath the left side "floorboard" only I don't have that one on due to the carb position. The issue still remains that once it comes from under the floor board it will still need to make it up to the carb in a way that does not kink the cable nor puts it in the way of my legs.

I am not too concerned with the longevity of the current cable routing I have for it, just want to know what others have done on their bikes with this specific setup. I know I'm not the only one out here with the vm20 sticking out on the side.

Definitely gonna look at grabbing one of the Bendys. They will only help the situation for sure.

I guess I’m just confused how this will shorten the cables life and or get in the way of your feet. It will route right up under the floor boards and shoot out right at the 90* bendy.

58CE441E-1964-4C48-A7C6-DA5F864F9528.jpeg

Dirty30 Dillon /

^^^ Yeah, I don't understand how this routing is not an answer. Your legs should not be anywhere near this.

bendy.jpg

With the 180* bendy I linked, you could solve this situation immediately

Jay Rivett /

I think the 180 will be the one. The 90 from under the floor boards will put it with a kink. If you had this setup to know what I mean you would know what I mean.

If I was the only person that would ever ride the bike I would be less concerned. But friends and family will be put on it as a loaner. Need it to be buttoned up tight.

Thanks for the ideas folks. Keep them coming. (edited)

Brian Kin_duh_mo /

This is definitely how mine runs. i cut a little groove out of my floorboard like 6 inches up from the carb so it would stay (mostly) hidden, though i don't remember off the top of my head which cable i used. let me look through my treats orders and see if i can figure it out

> Garrett The Kid wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I guess I’m just confused how this will shorten the cables life and or

> get in the way of your feet. It will route right up under the floor

> boards and shoot out right at the 90* bendy.

Brian Kin_duh_mo /

Here’s how mine runs but I cannot for the life of me figure out which cable I used. Most of the ones in my orders near the time I built this bike are e50 cables. Can’t remember if I rigged this somehow or not. It doesn’t look like it though. Nothing cut or knarp’d. I don’t have a stock throttle control so maybe. Sorry…. I wish it was more helpful

image.jpg

I agree with Dillon, you can get squarely into the low 50s with the stock carb, and 55+ with the phbg tucked in the stock location. How much faster do you really want a loaner bike to go?

These out the side index seem totally stupid unless you're building a wackadoo monster bike at which point you're going to run the deal intake anyway with a TM 24.

> Dirty30 Dillon wrote:

> If it were me, I would just buy one of these and route the cable under

> the covers/tank like it's supposed to be.

>

> I have used that exact bendy to fit carbs in WEIRD places on scoots

> before and it's sick. I am sure you could order it from Treats or DOS

> (maybe actually a good chance DOS and the bois have one sitting on a

> shelf, I know this adjuster came with the Malossi PHBL kit for

> Smallframes).

>

> EDIT: I also have to admit that I have no idea why this intake setup

> keeps getting put on bikes. The design basically goes against every

> feature you would want from a high rpm, CVT, reed-valved motor, just so

> you can change jets, etc. easier.

>

> I had the '77 VM20 intake, and while I had to timesert the shitty cast

> aluminum and reflatten every surface, the design was in the right

> direction.

>

> No more long-dong intakes that plop your carb out the side of the bike.

> Let's get some short, flow-tested intakes that let us use real airboxes.

I have one of these and am excited to try it out: https://www.treatland.tv/honda-hobbit-mikuni-vm20-intake-for-hackerzzzzz-p/cnc-hobbit-vm20-intake.htm

Dirty30 Dillon /

> b to the eff wrote:

> > Dirty30 Dillon wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > If it were me, I would just buy one of these and route the cable under

>

> > the covers/tank like it's supposed to be.

>

> >

>

> > I have used that exact bendy to fit carbs in WEIRD places on scoots

>

> > before and it's sick. I am sure you could order it from Treats or DOS

>

> > (maybe actually a good chance DOS and the bois have one sitting on a

>

> > shelf, I know this adjuster came with the Malossi PHBL kit for

>

> > Smallframes).

>

> >

>

> > EDIT: I also have to admit that I have no idea why this intake setup

>

> > keeps getting put on bikes. The design basically goes against every

>

> > feature you would want from a high rpm, CVT, reed-valved motor, just

> so

>

> > you can change jets, etc. easier.

>

> >

>

> > I had the '77 VM20 intake, and while I had to timesert the shitty cast

>

> > aluminum and reflatten every surface, the design was in the right

>

> > direction.

>

> >

>

> > No more long-dong intakes that plop your carb out the side of the

> bike.

>

> > Let's get some short, flow-tested intakes that let us use real

> airboxes.

>

> I have one of these and am excited to try it out:

> https://www.treatland.tv/honda-hobbit-mikuni-vm20-intake-for-hackerzzzzz-p/cnc-hobbit-vm20-intake.htm

WHOA, neato. Yeah, the 77 intake rotated the VM slightly to avoid impacting the frame, but this is a good starting point.

I'm going to try the short bendy hack mentioned in the one review; should be fun!

Jay Rivett /

I guess I could totally go back to the og setup. It was just setup this way when I got the bike.

And I'm not trying to do anything more than the 45 the bike goes right now. I do have a new variator coming for it which can allow the bike to be faster.

As for a fast loaner. You better believe I want a loaner to be reliable and also quick. Quickness can save yourself as much as good brakes can.

> b to the eff wrote:

> I'm going to try the short bendy hack mentioned in the one review;

> should be fun!

I made that suggestion based on the design of Amal carb, which probably have the best screw-top design. But I have not tried it. I suspect that you may still need to hack the frame engine mounts and weld them 1.25" to 1.5" further back to get the VM20 to fit

> Mike Boyd wrote:

> > b to the eff wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I'm going to try the short bendy hack mentioned in the one review;

>

> > should be fun!

>

> I made that suggestion based on the design of Amal carb, which probably

> have the best screw-top design. But I have not tried it. I suspect that

> you may still need to hack the frame engine mounts and weld them 1.25"

> to 1.5" further back to get the VM20 to fit

Cool, thanks for the info! We'll see how it fits when I eventually get to that project hah.

DR, proma, stock carb and notched Vario is 50+ all day, dummy reliable. Weld the hood shut perfect loaner.

i make all my throttle cables. get some gnarps and some hologram jacket from treats.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account