Forged Carbon Fibre Parts Using Compression Moulding

Has anyone done this? Seem like it would be a fun project for something moped related.

Re: Forged Carbon Fibre Parts Using Compression Moulding

So I've got the equipment to do this and I will get to it but the first issue what would I make first? The example is a clear choice but to make it work needs a lot of post processing like machining. Like most things I can think of.

CORN PED /

I was thinking about making a headlight bucket or front fender.

Seems like parts like that would be better to just do with a conventional mat layup

I was actually gonna see if you wanted to mess with the oil tank covers for the mag, since I'm getting that frame from that guy and it doesn't have them.

CORN PED /

you know what else I would like to do but didnt want to say it because that guy in the video did it already. . . Leavers.

I have bought these like 3 times forgetting that they are plastic. . . I always get bummed when I open the package and remember that they are plastic.

magura-control-party-vBLK-2.jpg

Yeah I've never broke one but they feel sketchy when you're giving it the beans.

CORN PED /

^ yeah I have not either. Same with those plastic tomos ones. . . but I still dont love it.

I should just powder coat all my chrome ones.

campeona del mundo /

funny, i watched that exact video like 6 months ago and was wondering when/if moped people would try it out.

Holy shit finally had a chance to watch this, yeah wow that's cool. Can't think of anything I need right now but a clutch cover guard for my KTM would be rad, the boyesen one is like $200 bucks

I have for work, we tried to do it ourselves and it was just too much time for work. We 3D printed some molds, waxed and pressed it in a vise with epoxy/chopped tow. We wound up sending it to Axiom, by San Diego.

I dunno, how much fiberglass have you done? I also suck at fiberglass so I'm not convinced I could do this well...

Still, it's pretty cool. It's not cheap tho.

CORN PED /

> Born to be WillD wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I have for work, we tried to do it ourselves and it was just too much

> time for work. We 3D printed some molds, waxed and pressed it in a vise

> with epoxy/chopped tow. We wound up sending it to Axiom, by San Diego.

>

> I dunno, how much fiberglass have you done? I also suck at fiberglass so

> I'm not convinced I could do this well...

>

> Still, it's pretty cool. It's not cheap tho.

I have done a lot of simple fiberglass. I made about 50 fiberglass Onyx seat pans last year. but it was just overlaying fiberglass. Seat pans didnt need to be perfect. Easy to clean up and then cover in foam.

I think it might be easier/cheaper to get them made.

Like if someone made Magura leavers and sold them I would totally buy a set if there were not $100

all the parts I can think of would be decorative parts and not functional ones that would be better served with layups and vaccuum bags. Like headlight fairings and such. But I still want to try it on something.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account