Cady intake mod

Been working on a Cady M1PR 1974.

I’ve modified the original 10mm intake to accept a larger intake pipe onto the flange by cutting off the original and then grinding smooth with my dremel.

I then proceeded to enlarge the intake hole on the flange to increase flow. My hope is to weld on 3/4” o.d. pipe as the carb I’ve ordered is .76” clamp style attaching.

Hoping in increasing the power from 33kph to hopefully 50kph if I’m dreaming.

0E12A6CD-9416-4913-9C1C-655196980EE1.jpeg

Re: Cady intake mod

Ian MacKenzie /

The other plan for the pipe is to have a rather quick 90° bend coming off the intake and have it go to the right and up ever so slightly so the flow naturally gets pulled into the engine by gravity.

Looks like a Solex intake/exhaust combo from down here.

I've found that light porting cylinder/piston w a dremel to be the most rewarding and productive enterprise. That said ive gotten a solex to slightly faster to 21 or so.

Sadly gravity on atomized fuel has little to do with increased performance. Looks badass though including the stock carb, down draft. We all wanna go faster by removing restrictions but a 10mm intake can do 30mph easy.

Problem is the carb throat i think its 8mm. If u switch carbs how r you gonna control the overflow like the og carb?

The cady has a conventional float type carb, it's just mounted on a silly little intake that wraps around the whole motor.

(edited)

^^thats funny, didnt know those cadys share the same mount intake/exhaust. Winder what the cylinder porting looks like.

Well cant you bolt a av7 top end on?

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

> pat splat wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> ^^thats funny, didnt know those cadys share the same mount

> intake/exhaust. Winder what the cylinder porting looks like.

>

> Well cant you bolt a av7 top end on?

Nope, the cylinder studs have a diamond pattern, not the usual square pattern.

Ian MacKenzie /

I don’t have a photo of it completely done. But the intake system works!

Definitely getting more power out of the bike with a larger intake and carb. Will get new tires and tubes and a more fat person friendly seat. Then I should be good to go do a top speed test.

022CDF74-6AF5-44E4-9E79-E5188071B59D.jpeg

Keegan Wilhelm /

> Ian MacKenzie wrote:

> I don’t have a photo of it completely done. But the intake system works!

>

> Definitely getting more power out of the bike with a larger intake and

> carb. Will get new tires and tubes and a more fat person friendly seat.

> Then I should be good to go do a top speed test.

have you checked it for leaks with compressed air and soapy water? from personal experience, everywhere that has poor wetting--dips and divets in the solder--is a leak as the solder has not properly adhered to the base material.

Ian MacKenzie /

I did fill it with water before mounting it. Along with put the air gun to it for leaks and didn’t find it with either.

Keegan Wilhelm /

> Ian MacKenzie wrote:

> I did fill it with water before mounting it. Along with put the air gun

> to it for leaks and didn’t find it with either.

did you use soapy water or just water? its way harder to see a microscopic leak with plain water vs soapy water and air

Ian MacKenzie /

Soapy water. I’ve tested for air leaks before in tires. I sprayed soapy water on the welded/soldered area and then put a air hose to it. And also built some pressure in it by blocking off both ends and have air blown and held in it

Keegan Wilhelm /

> Ian MacKenzie wrote:

> Soapy water. I’ve tested for air leaks before in tires. I sprayed soapy

> water on the welded/soldered area and then put a air hose to it. And

> also built some pressure in it by blocking off both ends and have air

> blown and held in it

cool. make sure to give it a solid bath in solvent and test it again before putting it on. i had sealed my gas tank with solder, and it held fine with water and a bit of pressure, but as soon as i put gas in it, it started leaking again as the gas had dissolved the residual flux left over from the soldering process.

Nice! This is the first I've seen someone do a custom intake on a Cady, would love to see pics on the bike.

I'm sure porting it will be huge, whatever porting they used to make it run with that tiny carb most have some room to gain.

Hold on, is this solder like for copper pipe? Sketchy no?

Dirty30 Dillon /

That's probably one of the top tier jibby-jo intakes I have seen. Kudos

EH 📣FCC of the QCB /

> Graham Motzing wrote:

> Nice! This is the first I've seen someone do a custom intake on a Cady,

> would love to see pics on the bike.

>

> I'm sure porting it will be huge, whatever porting they used to make it

> run with that tiny carb most have some room to gain.

Now I want to build a Caddy….seriously wanted to do it for years but this is motivation.

Ian MacKenzie /

If you are planning to do this mod. I def recommend putting the bolt for the intake side of the flange in before welding it in place. Won’t be able to get the bolt in afterwards if you do

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account