1 simple trick to improve stock Puch Maxi forks

This is so simple. . . but makes an incredible difference.

Pull out your stock puch maxi fork lowers. Just unbolt them and pull em out.

CLEAN THEM.

Then unscrew the upper spring and cut off the excess upper tube above the slider.

Then screw the spring back in, grease em up, and put them back together.

This increases your travel just enough to make them ride so much better than stock.

Its just so stupid that it works.

IMG_20190325_214001.jpg
IMG_20190327_210118.jpg
IMG_20190518_121330.jpg

Re: 1 simple trick to improve stock Puch Maxi forks

Yes!

Maize told me about this about 4 years ago and it's a fuckin game changer. Totally rebuilt maxi forks with new bushings and good grease, they ride great and never bottom out. It's crazy why didn't they do this from the factory! Doesn't seem like much but 5/8" extra travel when you only have 2" of travel is a pretty big improvement.

Another pro tip: clean all the grease off the threads of the pot metal top nuts that screw into the springs, clean the bolts and blue loctite them shits. Don't over torque them, the nuts strip way easy.

I'm 100% gonna try this. the potholes around here are brutal and now that I go 45mph I've been bottoming out with my forks like crazy. I don't want to dent my super sick treatland cnc'd spoke front wheel and more fork travel should help with this problem!

great post, will update with results.

You talking just removing the rubber core/stem??

Read the op again, you are cutting the chrome tube off above the bushing

campeona del mundo /

very interesting....

EH 📣FCC of the QCB /

Ohhh I interesting. I stripped a set and taped some fabric nut that fit in there. Wish I ket that information because they strip way too easy. Wish I did this to my first maxi I owned but I put stockish EBRs on it. This would have been better.

I see now. Hmm is it the same on the Murray forks? (edited)

The Magnum/free spirit sized forks don't really bottom out, I've never rode a Murray but I'm guessing they are the same.

hey nice, i wonder what else this could work with.

roots to wings /

Ya couldn't ha posted this before the treats sale?! I just grabbed a set of the inverted ebr's for my bike that was bottoming out that i'm swapping frames on. It would have been cheaper to paint those forks to match the new color than getting new forks, but I have a few others I can do this to. Excited to try.

i’ve done it. it was like a 15 minute project in total, much easier then replacing forks.

35AE369D-37C3-4B40-AAD5-62CD2C0B3DEC.jpeg

results soon

question, are y’all filling the springs like FULL with grease? or just like greasing them?

i’m back. it’s night and day how much better the forks are just from removing that small amount of metal.

seriously crazy. my mind is blown, this mod gets my certified seal of approval

Haha right!

I dunno why we never posted it before, we were taking about 4 years ago and Maize was like 'what would happen if...' he tired it and it worked great. I've been rocking it on my green maxi for 3+ years and probably 2k miles and I don't think there are any drawbacks.

did ya'll just learn about cleaning parts?

i had already cleaned the rebuilt these when i got the bike last year. replaced the plastic bushing and everything with some NOS ones we had.

i didn’t see any drawbacks on the ride home, and i 100% know of places i’d hit and bottomed out on that route which i no longer bottomed out on.

it’s great, 10/10 will do again

CORN PED /

Graham and I were talking about bottoming out, and how your hands have muscle memory of when you should bottom out. But then it just doesn't happen.

> CORN PED wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Graham and I were talking about bottoming out, and how your hands have

> muscle memory of when you should bottom out. But then it just doesn't

> happen.

i just made this maxi faster so i haven’t ever really learned the “uh oh” bottom out spot.

and now i don’t think i’ll ever have to.

thanks again! super killer tip and super easy mod!!

roots to wings /

what was the deal on the greasing of the springs? lot or little?

Sean Hennessey /

Any thoughts on the ol rubber tube inside the spring move? Did that on my maxi build, but ive yet to bottom anything out cause im really light and roads are decent here.

> roots to wings wrote:

> what was the deal on the greasing of the springs? lot or little?

I think it’s the idea of fill it up with grease but don’t FILL it up. Never done It though

Nah just wipe it down like the only reason the grease is there to keep the springs from rubbing the tubes.

If you put too much it will just spooge out the bottom and make a mess.

🎨🏆 Duncan /

Now I want to do this. Thanks for the tutorial, good content

oh also worth mentioning

while reassembling my forks yesterday, i noticed that if you errantly tighten the fork legs and don’t align them properly, you could end up either winding or unwinding the spring when you twist the fork legs into alignment to bolt on your fender or to accept the axle if you don’t run a fender.

i dunno, but i’m stoked on this mod, it’s insanely worth it

Totally normal JBOT /

Simple problem solving modifications are the best modifications. Do any other stock forks benefit from something like this?

CORN PED /

I have not tried it on other forks. I typically just replace them with better forks. I figured this out when I was doing a full rebuild for a friend and he wanted stock forks.

no joke this mod is gonna keep me from putting a whole tapered headset bearing/hydro fork legs until i make this a 50mph+ bike

roots to wings /

Please forgive my stupidity but i am missing something on this mod. i had an old set of forks off a bike and when i compress them with all my weight, the the outside black dust cover goes almost all the way to the axle nut (within an inch or so), so if i did the mod, wouldn't that make me bottom out on the axel nut? Maybe i'm not understanding how the fork mechanism actually works. The jolting clunk I occasionally feel from stock maxi forks doesn't seem like it's happening when the forks are fully compressed...

Dirty30 Dillon /

> roots to wings wrote:

> Please forgive my stupidity but i am missing something on this mod. i

> had an old set of forks off a bike and when i compress them with all my

> weight, the the outside black dust cover goes almost all the way to the

> axle nut (within an inch or so), so if i did the mod, wouldn't that make

> me bottom out on the axel nut? Maybe i'm not understanding how the fork

> mechanism actually works. The jolting clunk I occasionally feel from

> stock maxi forks doesn't seem like it's happening when the forks are

> fully compressed...

Yeah, they are not supposed to compress that far. Sounds like you have some clapped/snapped springs.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account