Re: 1999 tomos targa LX rebuild

Austin Dovel /

> Jackerz ! wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Also I got a new 45mm ring on its way to you! Best of luck with the

> rebuild!

I don't have any private messages, how did you get my address? Im not sure if I posted it here.

Austin Dovel /

> Austin Dovel wrote:

> Okay so I put my engine back together, I used 2 stroke oil on the

> gaskets just as told and blue thread locker on all the bolts. I started

> tightening down the clutch and it pulled my piston down and broke off a

> piece of my piston ring so, I have ordered that. :(

>

> I found a 99 a35 kick start tomos manual and it was somewhat helpful,

> although it didn't break down where every washer went so I pieced it

> together like a puzzle and am hoping that it's right.

>

> I put the fender washer in between my case and the clutch so it doesn't

> grind, but it is 1-2 mm bigger than the shaft and all the others are

> perfect fit. This washer is actually a perfect fit on the kick starter

> shaft but then the case doesn't fit right due to thickness.

>

> I'm 73% sure I'm right where it's at.

I was 100% wrong it goes in my case as a spacer on the kick start/pedal shaft. I have found what I think is the proper shim for my clutch bell shaft, but treatland calls it a clutch drum shim. I'm hoping it's just another name, but even I search clutch bell I get that part and "clutch drum" only comes up for that shim. I would post the link but I don't have it right now I will come back later and post the link below this.

Austin Dovel /

What are people using to manage wiring on these builds? The tubes they put the wires though I mean. Where do I get them, and how do I keep them from binding when I steer?

https://www.reddit.com/r/moped/comments/i7ykjj/zipping_around_brooklyn_ny_with_my_94_tomos_targa/

Dirty30 Dillon /

Are you looking to route wiring or cables? I don't specifically see what you're talking about in either Jake's or Johnny's build on Reddit, but general wire coverings/shielding can be grabbed at AutoZone/etc.

As for binding, just leave enough slack to allow it to move and don't route it through a pinch point.

Austin Dovel /

> Dirty30 Dillon wrote:

> Are you looking to route wiring or cables? I don't specifically see what

> you're talking about in either Jake's or Johnny's build on Reddit, but

> general wire coverings/shielding can be grabbed at AutoZone/etc.

>

> As for binding, just leave enough slack to allow it to move and don't

> route it through a pinch point.

This

Screenshot_20220506-123356_Gallery.jpg

Looks like copper tubes, which it might be. I don't want that cheap flexible black tube with the corrugated walls and a cut down the middle. I had that before and in my opinion it always looks like trash.

There are mount tabs on the bottom of my frame, what are they for? Can I use them?

On the build that's on Reddit it looks like he's using some type of black tube like vacuum line or gas line or something like that something with a solid flat OD and some zip ties.

In both pictures it looks like they are going straight from the handlebars to the engine it doesn't look like they have any room to turn right.

What I want to do it's fine some type of tube to hide all of my wires in and have them screw mounted to the mount tabs on the bottom of my frame. (edited)

Screenshot_20220506-122542_Reddit.jpg

Dirty30 Dillon /

Fairly certain Johnny's TTLX is just the factory black sheathing, it's nothing hard.

In fact, I can't think of an instance where I would ever want conduit on a bike. Far better to have a pliable rubber/plastic sheathing like factory and retain that with the factory cover that goes under there or even just some neatly tucked zipties.

In order to run conduit, you'd have to consider that any terminations you make in the ends are going to have to be redone any time you want to disassemble, and/or change layout. Then there is obvious jacket chaffing which needs to be addressed with strain relief, etc.

As far as Jake's build, I would consider that a master class on wire/cable management. And if he has a particular method for getting around chaffing and connectorizing, you'd have to hit him up and ask.

It's far easier just to buy the factory part and be spend the effort/time/resources on a more rewarding part of the build

That tubing is really hard to come by, it's cheap cheap in 600' rolls but everyone selling small chunks marks it up like crazy

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BLACK-PVC-Sleeve-Wiring-Harness-Loom-FLEXABLE-Wire-Cover-TUBE-CORD-PROTECT-LOT-Diameter-for-1-4-1-2-3-4-Size-nbsp-Choose-nbsp/456840121

Austin Dovel /

> Dirty30 Dillon wrote:

> Fairly certain Johnny's TTLX is just the factory black sheathing, it's

> nothing hard.

>

> In fact, I can't think of an instance where I would ever want conduit on

> a bike. Far better to have a pliable rubber/plastic sheathing like

> factory and retain that with the factory cover that goes under there or

> even just some neatly tucked zipties.

>

> In order to run conduit, you'd have to consider that any terminations

> you make in the ends are going to have to be redone any time you want to

> disassemble, and/or change layout. Then there is obvious jacket chaffing

> which needs to be addressed with strain relief, etc.

>

> As far as Jake's build, I would consider that a master class on

> wire/cable management. And if he has a particular method for getting

> around chaffing and connectorizing, you'd have to hit him up and ask.

>

> It's far easier just to buy the factory part and be spend the

> effort/time/resources on a more rewarding part of the build

this part states its for 07-08 LX and ST would that work for my 99 because this is exactly what i want. When I google "Tomos Targa lx" I don't find this part on any moped, all of them wither have zip ties like here, or its hanging down looking tattered and faded.

> Graham Motzing wrote:

> That tubing is really hard to come by, it's cheap cheap in 600' rolls but everyone

> selling small chunks marks it up like crazy

>

> https://www.walmart.com/ip/BLACK-PVC-Sleeve-Wiring-Harness-Loom-FLEXABLE-

> Wire-Cover-TUBE-CORD-PROTECT-LOT-Diameter-for-1-4-1-2-3-4-Size-nbsp-

> Choose-nbsp/456840121

The black tube is something Id like to use either by itself, or under the cover that Dirty30 Dillon wrote about.

one more thing, "As far as Jake's build, I would consider that a master class on

> wire/cable management."

^Im not sure if that's an expression, or a statement. I would not consider taking any classes for this. Im sure If I had a tube that was big enough for the wires, and covered the wires in that black plastic tube, then copped the ends to allow for movement, and added a rubber seal/edge to it That would be fine, I was just trying to find out if something was already available in the community.

I'm confused on what exactly you were talking about, the tubing I listed is a very thin flexible PVC that is used on factory wiring harnesses for motorcycles extensively. On old bikes sometimes it has hardened and become rigid but when it's new it feels like unshrunk heat shrink tubing. You can just use heat shrink tubing as well and not shrink it, it's not as durable as the real thing but it does a pretty good job.

Dirty30 Dillon /

That part states it fits A35 Targas, and certain A55 models from 07-08. It will fit your bike.

And "master class" is a phrase implying that it is exemplary in it's application of the craft/technique. Not that you should take a class, because said class is not a thing.

Austin Dovel /

> Graham Motzing wrote:

> I'm confused on what exactly you were talking about, the tubing I listed

> is a very thin flexible PVC that is used on factory wiring harnesses for

> motorcycles extensively. On old bikes sometimes it has hardened and

> become rigid but when it's new it feels like unshrunk heat shrink

> tubing. You can just use heat shrink tubing as well and not shrink it,

> it's not as durable as the real thing but it does a pretty good job.

If you're talking about when I mentioned black tube, I was talking about what you linked. However if you're talking about when I mentioned ugly corrugated hose that I see so many other riders use that after 1 summer looks like crap, that's this.

Austin Dovel /

While Im between waiting for parts, and parts to be painted, I have taken the time to draw up this road map. use it as an example for what's to come. Get Excited!

I know I am.

moped map.jpg

Good luck buddy! I'll be following this thread.

Austin Dovel /

I picked up my powder coated black 1999 tomos targa LX frame today. It looks amazing, sat outside for 10 minutes and it's covered in pollen.

20220511_182813.jpg

Afterwards I went to Walmart and I found this little brown bag in clearance for $1.50 and I got two of them because they look like they're going to fall apart in about 3 months.

20220511_1832132.jpg

And then I also went to the hardware store and bought all new hardware, but unfortunately I didn't check every single bolt and one of them is the wrong thread pitch and a few of them are missing washers. So it's going to be a mix of new and old.

16523096083814300832952375029414.jpg

Austin Dovel /

I assembled as much as I could before the sun set.

20220511_202721.jpg

I added the forks to the frame temporarily for the picture and haven't added any of the ball bearings back yet.

I didn't realize that powder coating it would add 1 mm of thickness to the entire frame making it hard to put bolts into holes, it was hard to slide the rack onto the frame, and hard to slide the sway arm onto the frame. I'm sure I'm going to have other issues in the future some of the holes don't exist anymore they got filled over. The bearings were my sway arm mounts were powder coated over. I had to knock the outside layer off with a screwdriver and then they were fine. If I have some more time I'll continue working on it.

Hell yeah dude, that's great! Doing shit right is never a bad choice.

Austin Dovel /

Yesterday I went out and installed folding foot pegs and a license plate bracket.

I was never a fan of the solid foot pegs that were on this bike. You take a corner too quick and they're dragging against the ground. That's a good way to wreck. So I bought these cheap folding ones but I'm not a big fan of them either. Later down the road I'm going to replace them with something else or build my own.

20220512_103541.jpg
20220512_095358.jpg

Austin Dovel /

Today it was raining so I decided it would be a good time to do some painting. I decided the wheels needed some color. I went to O'Reilly's and I got some things. Everything that's needed for paint prep, and paint adhesion.

20220513_145038.jpg

I spent a lot of time sanding and cleaning both sides of the rear wheel. I got it to the point where I thought it looked good there was no black anywhere I wore gloves. I sprayed one coat of wax and grease remover,

20220513_163508.jpg

when coat of adhesion spray, three coats of color and three coats of clear.

And despite all of the work that I put into it I still have some problem areas. Some areas in the corners where paint isn't sticking, and one side of the wheel looks way better than the other side of the wheel. I think that's because it got humid out while I was working. I'm going to go over it again but I do really like the way it looks right now.

20220513_194232.jpg

Austin Dovel /

While I waited on the wheels to dry in between coats I was also working on the engine. I started sanding that all back cleaning up every little spot that I can get to painted the whole thing and gloss black

20220513_182350.jpg

cleaning and sanding might be easy for people who do cars and things with big open panels but cleaning and prepping and masking an engine part with so many fins on it was incredibly hard.

20220513_184757.jpg

In the end I think that turned out really good too I used the chrome paint that you have to bake on and after baking it on it does look like Chrome, and while it's not perfect it doesn't really matter that much to me because I've been looking at upgrades for a high compression head. And maybe in the future I'll hire somebody to sandblast the parts and chrome them for real.

16524871986033775968749076143902.jpg

Austin Dovel /

Overall I think today was moderately successful and the bike is coming along beautifully. Check it out!

16524873569755517973439799675156.jpg

Austin Dovel /

I finished both Wheels today and did some work on my transmission side case cover. I think they both turned out amazing.

20220514_223029.jpg
20220514_222715~2.jpg

Austin Dovel /

Today I got A LOT done.

Goodbye soft comfortable handle grip that I only had for the left side.

20220515_152724.jpg

Good bye turn signals I never knew if they were on or not.

20220515_153716.jpg

I had to drill out my first bolt today. Good thing it was for something I'm not going to use.

20220515_144356.jpg

Austin Dovel /

I started on my wiring! Yay!

20220515_152135.jpg

I got this thingimabob just because I was tired of not knowing if my turn signals were on or not, and every time I tried to turn them off I would accidentally switch them in the opposite direction. NO MORE!

20220515_152516.jpg

introducing modern day techno....Chinese crap! But it's Chinese crap with a push button return turn signal switch, and as a plus it also has a high beam flasher!

So I spent a number of hours figuring out what the wiring is on my new control unit, and matching that wiring to my existing wiring, and then pairing that with my speedometer. And I now have functioning turn signal flashers, turn signal indicators, high and low beam indicators, a clock, an LED backlit display, a turn signal push button return turn signal switch a high beam flasher button and many more things.

20220515_203223.jpg

When this is all over maybe I'll make a write up on how to convert your moped to 12 volts.

And I'm also going to finalize this build with a YouTube video showing all of the bikes new functionality, but that will come in time.

Austin Dovel /

So I forgot to mention that I permanently mounted my forks and I was not missing any ball bearings I thought I was but I apparently just miscounted.

20220515_143645.jpg

I do have mirrors to mount so I can't just get regular old bicycle brake levers I'm having a3 brake levers mailed to me. Those are going to allow me to mount mirrors and a brake switch, and they'll still say Tomos which I really like.

Finally in one of the earlier pictures you might have noticed that I still had one Rusty bolt on my forks and that's because the hardware store was out of that bolt. I got their last one for the other side but I'm going to be going back and getting one with the flange to match.

Austin Dovel /

> Austin Dovel wrote:

> Today I got A LOT done.

>

For the picture of my horn I meant to say this

> "Goodbye horn that sounds like a duck."

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account