Za50 gearing

So I’ve been looking for threads on ideal gearing for a well rounded bike. At test ride I had 18/40.

I read what I could find. I interpreted the information as go as big as I can. I can go 18/45. Cause that’s what I have.

Is there a thread containing gear selections for the Za50? I found one for the e50 but need help locating za info. I know it’s got to be in here. It’s not a new subject by any means

Re: Za50 gearing

Stock gearing is only really appropriate on a stock or near to stock ZA50. A pipe on a stock cylinder is probably ok with just a taller front sprocket but anything more I'd continue reading... The gearing you choose should be related to how much power you are putting through your bike, and your riding environment.

I have used both 19/38 gearing and 20/35 gearing on two bikes. What's important is that you know what RPM you are spinning relative to speed. The best way to do this is play around with the gearing calculator here - https://toolbox.martysgarage.info. You can also purchase a digital tach that can read out your RPM. The general consensus is stay below 9000rpm. Maybe even 8500. All the blown ZA50s related to crank failures or bottom end failures I have seen were spinning like 10,500-11,000 rpm. Less of an issue with rebuilt motors with a new crankshaft.

Take your situation and apply it there. Are you riding primarily in the city and know you are not hitting your top speed often or for prolonged periods of time (passing is OK for example), I like 19/38 or close to that. Riding more open streets where you might be sitting 40+mph more often than not? Definitely go with a 35 in the rear and probably the 20 front.

Another thing to consider is how the taller gearing works on the ZA. Taller gearing lets you ride out your first gear longer. My ZA with the 20/35 gearing shifted a good 4-5mph later than the 19/35 bike did. This is in conjunction with a flipped 2nd gear clutch to be clear.

Alex Fredericksen /

What is "ideal" for you?

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AseU2kk9COgXdHhaUmdYbm9vS3JMVk41MVJqcktaSXc&hl=en&authkey=CKmK_f8P

Usually go big up front, small in rear. 18x36, or 20x35. Whatever you can fit. ZA50's have enough pull to get going.

I like 18/36 gearing.

Luke Martin /

Ok so I guess we need to talk about the set up.

70cc reed kit party pack off treats. Pretty much.

Stuffy crank

Some new springs for the clutch.

Case matched

Side bleed estoril

Stock ignition at 17

It’s a rad set up. With the 18/40 I was eating the hills in my local area. I was peaking at about 41 on the flats. I want to be in the mid-high 40’s with hill chomping abilities. I mean. I’d be willing to sacrifice performance to keep the engine happy and healthy. But if I can get a little more, why not.

Given I haven’t really tuned the carb yet. We know that’ll make a big difference. Its 14 degrees out side. If I suffer to tune it now I’m just going to have to do it again in the spring. But I figure setting it up with gears will get me one step closer.

Luke Martin /

Where I am in Connecticut it’s pretty hilly with occasional larger hill stretching as long as a 1/4 mile at about a 6 percent pitch. Low end is important

I think you're talking about an e50 brother.

Unless you crank swapped and wrestled new springs into a ZA.

E50 with new crank? Just buy a couple front sprockets and see what you like.

ZA? I ride a a 20/37 with a very mild TCCD kit / flipped second and its fine on the low end

Luke Martin /

It’s a za. I got the stuffed crank off of treats. I put a stupid amount of money into this thing but it’s my only magnum so I said YOLO

Luke Martin /

Excellent help! It took me a minute to figure out what you said about rpm but once I figured it out it makes sense! Figure out the rpm at WOT, which according to the tool I’m spinning at 8766. then plug and play gears until i find a set up that meets my wants. Awesome stuff💪🏽 Thank you!!!

Dirty30 Dillon /

As someone in your neck of the woods who built a very similar bike moons ago:

20/35-37 should be your ideal range for a high 40's on the flat (touching 50) and should let you downshift on hills to maintain 30~ up most inclines.

You're out there, so you'll want some runout speed to feel mobile on the rural roads.

Probably Fred /

With the reed kit you could go 21x36-37 easy but only if you have flipped second gear clutch and tune your clutches/Motor oil transmission fluid so you have full and part throttle kick down as well as some second gear slip when you nail it.

Most hills you will be able to drop in the first gear automatically keeping you into the power if you do everything I said above correctly

> Probably Fred wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Tune your clutches/Motor oil transmission

> fluid

Really thought this was bullshit for a long time after trying a bunch of different fluids until I put VP 10-20w and I had an "ohh Roff was right" moment

Two Cool CTF-R for me

Alex Fredericksen /

Grind it out and go big.

IMG_20200903_005901575.jpg
IMG_20200903_010018817.jpg

I got pretty much the same setup on my za50 but it's a maxi so a little lighter and smaller and a treats pipe instead of estoril so it carrys me to a little higher rpm. I liked 20/36 that was a pretty well rounded for around here, lots of hills in Connecticut. After a little port work, thicker reeds, single ring piston and a few other things I was able to go up to 21/35 and still pull most hills in second gear. Flipping second is a personal preference thing, but highly recommended. Definitely play around with different oils and amounts like Roff said. Atf type f has a terrible fade that will effect your shift point and take off when hot. I really like 10w-40 motorcycle oil measured to 13 oz, that's a little over filled. I'm able to start on hills, and upshift on most hills. Downshift on corners and bigger hills. Shifting is variable depending on throttle position, I can upshift pretty much anywhere above like 15mph if I'm easy on it and at about 32mph wot. I can downshift anywhere below like 27ish by just rolling on the throttle like when coming out of corners or climbing steep hills.

> Garelli Master✨ wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I like 18/36 gearing.

I finally ground the case and I really like the 19/36.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account