74cc Gila Kit Vs. Others

Buddy of mine is just getting into moped and wants to "GO BIG" on his first build. He is mechanically inclined and has access to speed shop machinery. I explained the process of getting the kit to work and tried to talk him out of it, but he's dead set on putting this 74cc kit in. I am currently doing a rebuild with a 70cc DMP kit, which is pretty straight forward. I was pushing him in that direction so he doesn't have to mess with his engine case. What advice or words of caution would you give him? I will be sending him this post link so he can see for himself what other "experts" have to say about this kit and process.

https://www.treatland.tv/puch-gilardoni-74cc-cylinder-reed-kit-p/puch-gilardoni-74cc-with-head.htm

thanks,

Greg

Re: 74cc Gila Kit Vs. Others

up shits creek /

Gila,tm24, HPI,crank pipe,claw clutch. Full send!

Dirty30 Dillon /

If I had a nickel for every "mechanic" that jumped into mopeds with a high-dollar build only to be left angry and cashing out in one year, I would probably have a few dollars.

Your advice was incredibly wise. If he's not willing to listen to you, I don't think he'll be keen on strangers advice.

That said: shallow case matching to keep case volume low/pumping pressure high; don't go crazy with carb size (consider 24mm the maximum); don't skimp on the crank, ignition, and clutch; gasket maker does not replace a paper gasket.

GL and Godspeed, Gila Boi

campeona del mundo /

I WAS A MACHINIST IN THE 80S MOPAR GUY BEEN TURNING WRENCH'S SINCE I WAS 12 SPENT 10 YEARS OVERSEAS FINISHED A SALT FLAT BUILD LAST YEAR

> Dirty30 Dillon wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> If I had a nickel for every "mechanic" that jumped into mopeds with a

> high-dollar build only to be left angry and cashing out in one year, I

> would probably have a few dollars.

>

> Your advice was incredibly wise. If he's not willing to listen to you, I

> don't think he'll be keen on strangers advice.

>

> That said: shallow case matching to keep case volume low/pumping

> pressure high; don't go crazy with carb size (consider 24mm the

> maximum); don't skimp on the crank, ignition, and clutch; gasket maker

> does not replace a paper gasket.

>

> GL and Godspeed, Gila Boi

^^^^all that. I mean if he want to go “big” with his first one just have him get a 70 reed kit , HPI, phbg 19(or a more easily tunable VM18) and cranks pipe….but hey…..just one dudes opinion.

Seriously tho gila are pretty easy, if you don't go stupid porting them they are low rpm high torque basically a stock motorcycle cylinder. The vm22 basically bolts on and works out of the box. The crank pipe is smooth and predicable.

But yeah the reed kit is the way to go for sure. Reed kit, estoril, vm22. Everything bolts up, works good together, easy to tune.

Matt Mahloch -- MBM Customs /

Gila works great. It’s a solid kit out of the box. Knowing what I know now I’d go with a Gila from the start too. I’m not sold on the hpi though. I’d save money there and stick with conservative points timing.

Chamfer ports and pistons. Gap piston rings. All that.

Gila is a solid kit. I’ve destroyed a lot of stuff but the Gila isn’t one of them.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account