DERBI PP Clutchless variator?

todd amundson /

I'm looking for what others may have found that bolt onto a piston port crankshaft. I've gone clutchless on start 3-5 applications and of course there are options. But I'm currently in search of a clutchless front variator for a standard Derbi PP crank.

anyone know what may work?

Re: DERBI PP Clutchless variator?

> todd amundson wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I'm looking for what others may have found that bolt onto a piston port

> crankshaft. I've gone clutchless on start 3-5 applications and of course

> there are options. But I'm currently in search of a clutchless front

> variator for a standard Derbi PP crank.

>

> anyone know what may work?

Just remove the starter arms on the stock boi?

todd amundson /

Sure but if you loose the starter shoe the bell/variator is still spinning in the wind. I’m looking for a variator that bolts to the crankshaft and is held tight by the taper. On a Hobbit or a Variant the clutch rests firm on the taper, then the clutch bell/variator assembly goes on against the clutch but it’s not locked on the crank because it spins on its internal needle bearings. A clutchless variator would spin with the crankshaft

Totally normal JBOT /

If you could make spacers/bushings I heard that Peugeot er3s are just literally bolted onto the crank with no taper or d style mount. Just the nut holding the boss to the crank

> Totally normal JBOT wrote:

> If you could make spacers/bushings I heard that Peugeot er3s are just

> literally bolted onto the crank with no taper or d style mount. Just the

> nut holding the boss to the crank

Yep, the pug shaft is 11mm I think in diameter?? I can't remember I know the thread is M11. So idk if that ID of the ER3 would be too smol. (edited)

Totally normal JBOT /

Do you ever see those loosening up on Peugeots? If not, wtf is up with all the locking devices on fixed varis bolted into cranks?

Are the splines in a scooter crank totally pointless?

> Totally normal JBOT wrote:

> Do you ever see those loosening up on Peugeots? If not, wtf is up with

> all the locking devices on fixed varis bolted into cranks?

>

> Are the splines in a scooter crank totally pointless?

I've had one that got loose and started to spin independent of the crank but when I checked the nut was pretty loose. Honestly I think it was more due to the vibration of the engine than anything else.

Otherwise yea idk kinda funny. I would venture to guess it would 'slip' at some point but never seen it happen.

The original clutch has a keyed bell but the doppler variators don't. You could probably make the variator to fit the key on the crank if needed. When I went to flip mine I had that design spec in mind but haven't gotten to it yet.

Lots of machine tools use friction fit tapers, right? Those can handle a ton of torque.

A 103 crank goes right into flatreed cases and the small taper works with Derbi ignitions too. (edited)

todd amundson /
A8EFC788-42E6-43BF-952E-75631410F999.jpeg

Id have to do something funky like this to lock the stock variator to the crank on a Hobbit or Derbi. This ones for a hobbit but same shit. Just heavy. And I new it was coming but think the ER is junk.

1A927A76-AD5A-4319-A9D7-7813A7EEB885.jpeg

Hey I kinda like that. Good jorb

Totally normal JBOT /

Basically tho in theory you could just bore out any vari and fixed cheek boss to fit then bolt it on if bolt on with no taper works

todd amundson /

Yes if I can find a boss that’s holding a lot of meat on the inside to bore a taper in it. But what does the rear ramp plate butt up to firmly?

Totally normal JBOT /

Yeah idk.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account