What more can I do for speed?

Thomas Carpenter /

I have a Tomos Streetmate. I’ve put an entire 70cc kit on it, a 17.5 mm carb, higher jets, biturbo exhaust, and higher gearing. Is there any other upgrades I could go for? Thanks.

2B6465EB-35EF-4382-BD1F-1B7965DA92C2.jpeg

Re: What more can I do for speed?

What's your current gearing? What's your current recorded top speed?

Looks like a stock top end to me unless that's a old pic......

There are always things you can do. What are your goals?

A better exhaust would be a good start.

Beach Club Nick /

Better exhaust. Clutch tuning paired with different gearing. Porting your cylinder, case matching the engine cases to your cylinder.

Bigger carb(vm20). Better exhaust (crank pipe)

Beach Club Nick /

HPI mini rotor will make a big difference too. But then you'll start destroying clutches and shit

Kevin Bishop /

Exhaust for sure, but it did use that same pipe on a bike that pulled pretty good. I just shortened the header ~2”. A bigger front sprocket would get you there too like a 28. (edited)

More air flow 4 pedal reed Dremel out intake and exhaust phbg 19 or vm 20 28 20 gearing avg 50 with clutch work

daan SJAARLOOS /

Guys guys you're forgetting the most important bit.

Polini sticker

Thomas Carpenter /

It has a 27t sprocket on it, dished.

Thomas Carpenter /

Current recorded top speed is around 37mph.

The only Tomos I've had that didnt get over 40mph was a stockish Tomos A3. One of them was a Streetmate with modded air-box, bi-turbo pipe, smaller rear sprocket, oil injection intact, and re-tuned stock carburetor and it topped out at 45mph on flat ground.

37mph with all of OPs parts tells me its likely not tuned properly, restrictive air filter, and/or geared too low.

your picture doesn't have all the mods you listed. take new pictures. (edited)

Get a New Jersey license plate and slap on a biturbo and go 60-65 mph all day every day....until you leave NJ

Something is definitely wrong with your tuning. My streetmate does low 40s to 48ish on flat depending on head or tail wind. That's with a trunk packed full to the top, me at 210lbs and my bag is probably 15-20lbs. Jacket is heavy too. My bike is stock aside from some minor port work, 20lb first & 25lb second clutch springs, a biturdo and a 24 tooth rear sprocket. Maybe it's because I bought it in New Jersey lol, but that's radar sign (like the signs that tell you your current speed) and GPS confirmed.

Thomas Carpenter /

It now has a Polini air filter and sticker. I still have a biturbo and 70cc Airsal kit. I now have a 21mm phbg dellorto carb. Still runs the same speed except quicker.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Totally normal JBOT /

Switch to a 22 tooth rear. Your rear sprocket is too damn big

You want to make sure your intake manifold inner diameter is bigger than 21mm. Also double check the throttle cable & make sure that your throttle slide actually opens completely at full throttle. I suspect JBot is correct about being geared too tall. There's also rumors about Tomos CDI's being rev limited. Can any Tomos dudes confirm or deny this??

Totally normal JBOT /

No, he’s geared too short.

Much too short.

The rear looks like a 28-30 something

Needs to be a 22. 27x22 will get you to 40+

#1 rule with tomos. Gear way up always, big front tiny rear (edited)

Thomas Carpenter /

what if it was a 20 tooth rear instead of 22?

Totally normal JBOT /

If you could fit it you’d be fine.

Thomas Carpenter /

The pipe is breaking I think, so I need to replace it, I’m looking to sell it and forget about it, what pipe should I get?

Totally normal JBOT /

Just fix it.

Drill out the rivets and then replace with 3/16 pop rivets.

There are better pipes out there but that is very fixable

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account