E-Hybrid Setup Ideas

Howdy folks! Has anyone seen someone slap an electric motor their frame to drive the pedal side of the rear wheel.

I have seen posts where an hub motor wheel was swapped in the front. That's the most straightforward was to get it done, but it isn't so appealing.

The problems are obvious...

-chain line

-probably have to lose the pedals

-would driving the wheel on both sides cause problems?

Advantages..

Stealthy pull away and then BRAP BRAP BRAP. It's a party trick, but it could help some folks with annoying neighbors.

Potential to kit out your E50 for high end, but with some extra torque to get rolling.

Maybe there is a case for capacitors here? Runnjng something fairly light weight that can provide a meaningful shove and recharges would be slick.

Re: E-Hybrid Setup Ideas

Supercaps just don't have the energy density of batteries at the moment. Here's a useful demonstration of this:

๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ’ฆ Of the Loin /

Make sure you have a plan in place to deal with excess current generated by your motor when it's driven by the gas engine.

Every motor is also a generator

You could damage your battery severely if you don't account for this

I gave this a little thought already as well.

Seems like a clutch of some sort would be ideal. Electric motors are pretty heavy to spin all the time.

It would be a nice way to tall-gear a one speed for comfy rpm highway cruising. Use boring simple clutches that last forever.

> ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ’ฆ Of the Loin wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Make sure you have a plan in place to deal with excess current generated

> by your motor when it's driven by the gas engine.

>

> Every motor is also a generator

>

> You could damage your battery severely if you don't account for this

I'm pretty sure that was what happened to team T3's e-FWD hybrid

I made a 2wd hybrid & used a bicycle hub motor on front that had internal freewheel so it could coast, as opposed to the higher power direct drive motorcycle hubs which I think run into the above problem. It worked very much like pedaling from a stop, so i could gear higher. also made it easy to start haha. push the e to go, tug the starter to start the ICE, they compliment each other til gas takes over and everyone's happy. I'm not sure it was worth it, but i liked it a lot.

you dont lose pedals or anything tho, why would you, if the electric drives the front, depending on bike the pedals drive the drivechain or a freewheel on back, that doesnt change if you put a motor up front.

If you did it with a puch or whatever that's got a separate pedal crank and ran a chain drive motor on the pedal side, you'd have a freewheel, so you also avoid the battery backcharge. but now you dont have pedals

NM, i got you, misunderstood

1WD hybrid no harm to driving both sides, the pedals already do that.

The only challenge there I see is that pedals are generally kinda lower power so you can get away with a sprung chain tensioner. you can't pull the wheel back to get tension equally on 2 chains the way you tension the drive side, unless you're real lucky on length. Anyway you'd need a strong enough chain tensioner on the pedal side.

I think the weirdest part is where to fit the electric motor. Maybe on a rack would work, but the chain length'd change significantly as the shocks compress so maybe it's not such a good option. But in the stepthru cradle or something your chain line's gonna be a challenge too

Imagine how dreamy it could be to remove the flywheel and install a motor on the shaft there?

Go to a total loss electrical system w/rechargeable battery

The mounting area for the flywheel cover on a an E50 would be anemic for holding back torque. But mods could make it work.

Relays to open the circuit when re-gen has maxed out battery capacity, if thatโ€™s a problem.

You might be able to reach ridiculous speeds! Use the electric motor as a helper motor for the gas engine lol.

You could have a 65mph puch e50

I got an idea! U Can use the super caps & the electric motor almost like nitrous. And recharge to super caps with the flywheel

When I had my Vespa I thought about replacing the pedals with an electric motor that would drive the rear wheel through the chain and freewheel. You could also use it as an electric starter when it's on the stand.

> ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ’ฆ Of the Loin wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Make sure you have a plan in place to deal with excess current generated

> by your motor when it's driven by the gas engine.

>

> Every motor is also a generator

>

> You could damage your battery severely if you don't account for this

100% true.

A good battery management system (BMS) / controller ought do the trick, or as others have suggested you could use a freewheel or clutch mechanism to prevent the wheel from driving the motor.

@discontinuuity What a great idea! (edited)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account