Re: E-Hybrid Setup Ideas

Born to be WillD /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

> 🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Make sure you have a plan in place to deal with excess current generated

> by your motor when it's driven by the gas engine.

>

> Every motor is also a generator

>

> You could damage your battery severely if you don't account for this

I'm pretty sure that was what happened to team T3's e-FWD hybrid

I made a 2wd hybrid & used a bicycle hub motor on front that had internal freewheel so it could coast, as opposed to the higher power direct drive motorcycle hubs which I think run into the above problem. It worked very much like pedaling from a stop, so i could gear higher. also made it easy to start haha. push the e to go, tug the starter to start the ICE, they compliment each other til gas takes over and everyone's happy. I'm not sure it was worth it, but i liked it a lot.

you dont lose pedals or anything tho, why would you, if the electric drives the front, depending on bike the pedals drive the drivechain or a freewheel on back, that doesnt change if you put a motor up front.

If you did it with a puch or whatever that's got a separate pedal crank and ran a chain drive motor on the pedal side, you'd have a freewheel, so you also avoid the battery backcharge. but now you dont have pedals

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account