Re: TCCD conversation to reeds

Eric Davenport /

I'll give the combo pipe a try. The estoril is already apart and I have a crusty boss that I don't care about hacking. I have a vm 20 or maybe 22 in my building. I just have to find it. I also have a phbg 19 clone that I bought under the impression it was a ruixing. It's not though so I haven't messed with it.

If this ends up being a pretty good setup once I get it dialed in better, I'll probably make a intake for the malossi 4 peddle or get the dio adapter from. Treats.

Eric Davenport /

Graham, looking at the headers of the two. I am almost positive that they are the same thing. Same bends and all. Were you saying to move the estoril up the header to the length the boss chamber starts?

IMG_20211114_205913.jpg

Ah ya know what, I was thinking about tomos estoril welded to a puch with a boss header, had to go out to the shop and actually look.

Eric Davenport /

I'm going to slide the estoril up a little on the header. I'm hoping to get a little more top end out of it. If I remember right from my first rides the estoril was pretty much done around 9k

Yeah they have made a bunch of different estoril lately and I don't know what's going on with all of them but the old classic puch ones had that 'restrictor' cone inside that won't let it rev much past 10k. I can't say if shortening the header without removing the cone actually helps or not.

I buy the tomos ones (recently told to check out vespa too) because it's a better chamber for high rpm. Its basically a poor man's MLM pipe.

There has been a bunch of stuff posted on here about modding estoril, maybe someone can chime in.

Eric Davenport /

I looked down in mine yesterday and didn't see anything in it. But the header is the same exact piece as the boss. Only difference I could tell was that the dealer only extends about three quarters of an inch into the chamber on the estoril vs. Around 3 inches on the boss

Alan Jackson /

> Graham Motzing wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Treats is selling a huge kx60 (same as the Dio Reed kit) adapter that

> looks like it goes on most puch piston port kits maybe with some minor

> fin trimming.

>

> If you have the skills, which you do, you can cut all the fins off the

> top and take a flat piece of aluminum, drill the intake hole pattern in

> it and drill a bolt pattern for the malossi 4 petal reed. Treats sells

> the adapter plate to do this for minarelli cylinders but they have a

> smaller intake bolt pattern and it mounts sideways.

>

> That setup probably has the highest quality Reed block the cheapest and

> with the least additional case volume but I dunno.

>

> If you have a mil and want to get real crazy you could machine the whole

> top of the cylinder off and bolt right into there.

>

> This is the 2 petal I'm working on right now for a tccd50, I cast it but

> I'm not going to make anymore since it was a big pain in the ass, just

> wanted to see if I could.

that housing looks good graham, i darent show you the housing i made...

ive just bought something similar to the one treats sells off ebay uk thanks for heads up, and will be able to get it to mount ok. i found i could tap a thread in between the fins to secure the palomas reed housing. as long as i dont tighten up too much....

famous last words an all that

Eric Davenport /

Put a little over 30 miles on it today. The shortened estoril seems pretty good so far. Far far better all around than the boss. Still a little short of the top end though. But it will still do low 50s. The weird spot has narrowed a lot. 5100-5300. Clutch engages fully around 4100. Pulls to 5100 sound like it's 4 stroking until 5300. Pulls good to 6000. Then it really pulls up to 9000+. Tach gets screwy north of 9.

Eric Davenport /

Thinking about lightening my shoes. Maybe I can slip past the weird spot until I get a decent carb on there.

Sounds like you are really at the limit of that carb. To get the midrange you gotta start getting into slide mods but getting a better carb will help a lot.

> Graham Motzing wrote:

> Sounds like you are really at the limit of that carb. To get the

> midrange you gotta start getting into slide mods but getting a better

> carb will help a lot.

Alas my SHA baby has its limits, a 3d printed slide will elevate some of your woes, but as Graham said, if you want more, you need a multi circuit carb

Eric Davenport /

It's next on the list.

Pretty sure that estorils with the carbon baffle do not have the restrictor, but you can check by looking for 3 spot welds on the exterior of the last cone.

76917BD9-EAFC-4A9B-B9D5-7D611BC1A928.jpeg
FDABDDC5-8EB9-4371-B456-0D66E33F6885.jpeg
AC5B78AA-8BF7-419D-BD13-0C838CA0C0D0.jpeg

Eric Davenport /

I didn't see anything in there when I chopped it

If you don’t have the spot welds there won’t be a restrictor of this nature.

Eric Davenport /
20211124_152111.jpg
20211124_152002.jpg
20211124_152310.jpg

Eric Davenport /

That little dark spot above the transfer in the last pic is the only thing I can feel with my fingernail. Doesn't catch it, but it isn't smooth. The ring is stuck about a quarter of the circumference of the piston. Cant tell from the pics, but the ring is either bent or cracked.

20211124_153637.jpg

I'm going to try it with this piston. The boost holes don't quite line up, but I've got the third transfer thing going.

Totally normal JBOT /

Yeah You didn’t clean stuff well enough. Something was still in a transfer. I always wash them out in the sink then push thru soapy paper towels thru the transfers to force debris out.

Then after doing that I dry and push paper towels with 2t soaked on it thru the transfers. You’d be surprised how much garbage goes out after it seems clean. Not

Eric Davenport /

I do the same but use transmission fluid.

20211123_160053.jpg

Totally normal JBOT /

Oh wow wtf causes spark plug to melt?

Too hot timing?

Is this like predetonation? (edited)

Shitty China bullshit e3 spark plugs. They always show up in broken lawn equipment i pick off the curb and they are always junk.

The ring groove is collapsed, if you can carefully pry out the ring and sand the upper side of the groove with a little file, you can usually save them. Never scratch the bottom surface of the ring groove because that is where the ring seals and it's gotta be perfect.

Might get away with a 10$ ring instead of a 50$ piston. At this rate you might want to try to keep that piston alive so it can die a more righteous death in the next battle.

That shitty plug might have been causing other problems. When I say they are junk I mean they are fuckin garbage. If I was a religious man I would go to Walmart and pull them off the shelves and throw them away. For this setup you need a ngk b8hs. Right

Eric Davenport /

I do firmly believe those plugs are just complete garbage. I stopped at orielys on the way from work, grabbed it, put it in. It took a shit less than 2 miles down the road. Timing is pretty conservative. 93 octane/amsoil dominator. Running a hair rich. Highest temp my gauge has ever recorded was 415⁰ that was a 90 mile ride last Friday.

Eric Davenport /

Graham, the "H" length plugs are way too long for the treats custom cut tccd heads. 50 and 70cc. On the 50 I was crushing the ground electrode with almost 1.3mm squish. The "S" length fit perfect but I can't really find them around here. That is the only reason I got that e3. Was either that or a champion. It seems wrong to say, but I should have got the champion.

Eric Davenport /

The "L" reach works too, but it has some thread protruding into the chamber. Its probably good with a temp gauge in between. I didn't check

> Eric Davenport wrote:

> The "L" reach works too, but it has some thread protruding into the

> chamber. Its probably good with a temp gauge in between. I didn't check

Here's a plug code chart from NGK :

B7hs or b8hs. They are not too long for a tccd head. If you have the hi-comp it will be close but shouldn't hit. Or just dont cut the washer off your plug to add your temp gauge washer that should set it back far enough from the piston.

The b7hes are way too long. Those are for the tomos setups. Mostly only a55.

What bike do you have your kit on? I'm struggling in the mid 40's right now. But I think it is an electrical issue. When I get over 8k my bike starts cutting out. I have the stator advanced as I can make it without dremeling out the mounting holes to allow a further rotation. I will probably end up going with a cdi soon.

Eric Davenport /

Half a dozen b7hs plugs that have been flattened closed or near closed would disagree.

Eric Davenport /

It's on a E50 cobra. I ran the 50cc version unmodified originally. I was getting it to just shy of 10k with a boss and points. Timed way too high. 27ish degrees. Ran low forties pretty well. Take off was trash, but it would pull hills great once you were moving.

Alan Jackson /

i use indexing washers on longer reach plugs to get the gap facing the exhaust port and into the chamber the right amount. i use denso iridium expensive plugs.

false economy. your ports dont seem very chamfered. i go way over the top with my chamfering knowing i am losing performance but gaining longevity of rings etc. i also go over rich to help prevent overheating again at the expense of performance. i agree with graham and others in that you need a 19mm carb at least.

> Alan Jackson wrote:

> i use denso iridium expensive plugs.

>

Denso produced the original and best iridium plug .

Yeah , costly , but definitely worth it . ;)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account