No chain tensioner, small sprocket, it's actually a pedal bike!

Michael Jones /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Hi everyone. Work continues on the Puch and I stumbled across a mod that really impressed me. My bike feels like a heavy bmx that I can actually pedal!

I have been having lots of derailment on the pedal side because of the small freewheel I got for my new mags. I have also been experimenting with gears on the drive sides which will impact your spacing. I ended up shortened the pedal chain too much and got to thinking... Do I need this tensioner? Doesn't seem like it.

I am happy to report no derailment issues and my cranks feel like they do something for the first time.

I'm also running aftermarket rear shocks at near max, so the rear end doesn't have a much travel. My drive side is now 16x41T and it's sitting nice and deep in the dropouts with short, no tensioner chains.

Ok. So someone tell me why this is a bad idea.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account