Buttercream Dream - Stock A55 Tomos Racer

we built a bike to go racing at Moped GP Midwest and did pretty good with it. Check out the details here!

Buttercream Dream - The Tomost with the most

Re: Buttercream Dream - Stock A55 Tomos Racer

Fuck yea. Makes me feel a little better about getting smoked by a stock tomos knowing it's got that much love into it (edited)

Awesome write up.

I should lathe my A55 head!!

Jesse Stephenson /

@Jordan, there was an actually stock with pipe A55 in the stock class and we were lapping it during a race. With us pulling a 1:08 usually that's a pretty big difference in 8 laps. Your bike ruled though. Can't wait to build a non-variated class bike again.

Great write up! Now I gotta get someone to lathe my tomos tranny stuff. I know ryan go can do the balancing, but I think some of the local guys can do it so I'm gonna get with them first.

Did I miss it? Do you have to run a stock carb in this class?

> Flagrant - wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Did I miss it? Do you have to run a stock carb in this class?

Any carb, 15mm size max.

Jesse Stephenson /

You don't have to run a stock carb. There was a 15mm Polini CP carb which is very nice. But my main argument was that the stock A55 carb and airbox are super solid and way better than anyone gives them credit for. In fact they make more power than running a pod filter and I want people to stop doing that.

> Jesse Stephenson wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You don't have to run a stock carb. There was a 15mm Polini CP carb

> which is very nice. But my main argument was that the stock A55 carb and

> airbox are super solid and way better than anyone gives them credit for.

> In fact they make more power than running a pod filter and I want people

> to stop doing that.

Ha . Good luck with that . Way too many think that just more air is more power .

Man that's a great writeup and great work. I like the brazing the counter gear to that hub, I've always hated how they did that. I dunno if I would trust my self to braze cast iron like that.

Jesse Stephenson /

@ P D: so I actually did a dyno day you can read about here and it 100% proved that a pod filter is slower than running the stock airbox with even the most basic of modification. AKA Pod filters suck and you are paying money to go slower. Dumb. But yea, no one will listen to me and you're right.

@ Graham: I don't know how to braze stuff very well so I didn't even know that it was supposed to be hard to do.

This is a good write-up! Thanks for the shout out, I need to update my thread with some new clutch info and just general updates on the life of the bike.

I'm pretty skeptical about the brazed on bearing cage. Thats wild, I feel like my bike would break that and it would cause catastrophic destruction in the trans... but I'm definitely gonna take a second look at the possibilities next time I'm in there.

How did you break the gear that you removed too much material from? Did you just realize you went too far or did you actually run it and destroy it?

Jesse Stephenson /

So the gear I broke was the one I was going to braze to so I had to press the center bushing out and I broke it trying to push it out. It was around 0.025" which was me not paying attention, it would have never ran that thin. I went back and recut both of the ones I had to make sure they were 0.125 thick. The motor doesn't make much torque so I figure it's probably fine. I could braze it 360 if I got real concerned but I really doubt it would break.

This write-up is super rad, thanks for putting it together!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account