Puch Maxi intake airleak - having trouble finding solution

I upgraded to a genuine bing (15mm) from a clone on my maxi and cant seem to get rid an air leak where the carb meets the intake manifold. I did the spray test, and this is the only existing leak.

I have tried both o-ring and gasket maker (gasoline resistant), using a clamp to push the carb as far on to the intake as it will go. There was slightly less of a leak using the o-ring than the gasket maker. I have fixed airleaks in the past by going from one method to the other, but now both aren't working and I'm confused at what I could possibly do.

Heard some craft a shim out of an aluminum can to create a tighter seal? I'm open to all suggestions

Re: Puch Maxi intake airleak - having trouble finding solution

So if the clone fits well w no leaks then can you gut the real bing and put em in the clone?

If the end of the intake that goes into the carb has a rounded edge where it should meet the o ring , it's likely your problem .

Best to flatten that end for a better seal against the o ring .

Probably Fred /

Did you change the intake to a aftermarket 15mm intake?

Kevin Bishop /

Yeah had this problem with a genuine 15 on a zeta. Beer can shim worked okay with a rolling paper( old saxophone trick) at a rally temporarily.

A lot of the aftermarket intakes are specifically designed for individual carbs. If I remember right the korado had a 15mm but it could have had that 17 like the magnum x. Anyhow I ended up using the yellow Teflon tape as it was my ex gf bike and didn’t give af.

Hope this helps....

I know I feel better

andy eddy /
anjo OP

"If the end of the intake that goes into the carb has a rounded edge where it should meet the o ring , it's likely your problem .

Best to flatten that end for a better seal against the o ring"

Here's what it looks like:

IMG_1256.JPG

it is slightly rounded. this might be it. if this is indeed the problem how would you recommend flattening it.. grinding it? sanding it? replacing it?

"Did you change the intake to a aftermarket 15mm intake?"

It is the correct intake. 15mm. worked with other bings of the same size.

"Anyhow I ended up using the yellow Teflon tape"

I've heard teflon tape and I've heard furnace tape. Can anyone speak to which is better? or maybe a better question is how permanent and reliable of a fix is this? I want to leave the days of air leaks behind me with this ped. (edited)

Any Puch intake will fit a 15mm carb, the outside mounting diameter is the same for the 12,14,and 15mm intake. If it's stamped 15mm ur golden.

The o ring buts up against the sealing surface in the carb. Just get the right size from the hardware store, push it an and apply pressure to it whilst mounting.

That intake is junk, buy the one Mike listed and throw the other one in the trash. Also it's not 15, it's 14 or 12, looks like 12 since it has the nipple, which could also be leaking.

Slightly cheaper version: https://www.treatland.tv/MLM-puch-15mm-BING-stock-like-intake-za50-p/mlm-puch-intake-690.htm

But yeah the MLM design with the plastic bushing eliminates the classic bing leak. Plus like Graham said, if you're using a 12mm intake it defeats the purpose of using a 15mm carburetor

andy eddy /
anjo OP

I just took off the intake I have on it now. The port into the cylinder is round so I'm not sure if the first one will be compatible. Leaning towards this one: https://www.treatland.tv/MLM-puch-15mm-BING-stock-like-intake-za50-p/mlm-puch-intake-690.htm

If the one I have on now is 12mm and I get a true 15mm one, should I be mindful of other adjustments that might need to be made? Like rejetting and what not?

Also the reviews on the intake I linked say it's size more like somewhere between 14mm and 15mm. How much of a concern is this?

Just making sure I get everything right if I'm gonna be spending this much on parts. I appreciate all of the responses.

What's the diameter of the cylinder intake port?

andy eddy /
anjo OP

15mm. I measured the intake, also 15mm on both ends like I initially thought, so I should be good there.

roots to wings /

grandpa 15mm off treats work great for me with an o-ring for insurance. I also use a screwdriver to push the carb onto the intake a bit when tightening the clamp to make sure I'm tight.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account