Minarelli moped mod

Theokritos Moysides /

Hello, I have a moped like this (photo) and as have said in another forum post I am rebuilding it. Well, I'm thinking of welding a tube to the frame, at the point I show in the photo, placing a large tank on it like many others have done and placing its motor under the tank (shown in the photo) to fill the gap that will be created. And in the end of course I will grind the bottom of the frame where the motor is normally mounted. Has anyone done this? also, the seat will be cut to fit a longer one. (I hope you understand my English)

Re: Minarelli moped mod

Theokritos Moysides /
teom OP

Here are the photos

$_59.JPG
IMG_20210921_230906.jpg
IMG_20210921_231144.jpg

Putting the motor in the frame will upset your center of gravity, but it's only a moped, so probably won't matter much.

Pedals will be useless, because they'll be up really high, and may hit the tank (or your chin.)

You'll have to get the chain line right.

Exhaust comes straight out the bottom, which might be obstructed by the frame.

you have to make sure there's enough room for the carb on top.

And still need the swing arm, so cutting off the motor mounts will leave a big empty space underneath.

But it could be done, just needs a lot of work.

I don't intend to sound mean, but in terms of chain geometry and pedal placement/riding position, moving the motor above the frame rail is an objectively bad idea. Leave it where it is.

Looks like you could burn the shit out of your legs too.

Man, that bike is so pretty, I'd leave it alone. You do you, though. :)

Your chain will probably fall off when you hit bumps because the geometry will be so bad.

Theokritos Moysides /
teom OP

i dont have problem with pedals because i will make the engine to be KS,also the exhaust it isnt so big problem(with a longer pipe it will be ok).But chain it is a problem..

Chain is important. Moped have the engine sprocket inline with the swing arm pivot so the tension stays the same when you hit bumps, brake, or whatever will move the swing arm.

With the engine above it, you'll probably need some kind of spring loaded tensioner.

What are you trying to accomplish by moving the engine there other than making it so if you need to take off the top end to change something you have to pull the whole motor?

I’m not trying to be mean but I don’t think this will be practical or look good. However, this is mopeds so do your thing homie, best of luck but many people do a top tank mod, the engine looks fine where it is even with that gap. Maybe find some side covers off a normal top tank bike and retro fit them to fill some of the void?

Leave it and weld some tubes below the motor for your "look" or some chrome crash bars .

Terbo Speghetti /

Please don't do any of what you're saying. You'll boil your gas off, not to mention preventing half the cooling your head needs from being able to reach it.

Don't listen to these people, do gods will.

> Jesse Stephenson wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Don't listen to these people, do gods will.

I agree. All the "problems" I'm posting is just me thinking out loud while figuring out how to do it.

I'm all for making weird ideas work.

Theokritos Moysides /
teom OP

i will see,if i dont welding a tube to put the big tank,does anyone have any idea how i can remove the tank from its place and adjust another one somewhere that will not be visible? which will be distinctive? think a honda c50 without his legshield.I am thinking of making a tank that it will placed under the new longer seat i will put

I thought about this idea, but never tried it.

Make a cafe racer, speed hump seat and use the hump as a tank.

Here's a crap drawing:

IMG_20210925_202005~3.jpg

I have to agree that this sounds like a ton of work that would ultimately compromise the ride by raising the center of gravity and be a pain in the ass for maintenance. As someone mentioned, after you take all that structure out of the lower frame, it might just crack and end the game.

Are you just going for the look or are you trying to ford across streams on your ped? Rock crawling?

I just can't fathom raising the motor. Automakers spend millions redesigning models top to bottom to lower their motors a centimeter.

Maybe you just want a frame brace and top tank? That could probably be accomplished with an add-on second tank that drains to the (now sealed) original tank.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account