Re: Dos Cycles/ Botanas 'ktm style' v1 clutch

operator error 696 420 /

Dam (edited)

Just got one of these grabbed some 25mm length screws and it works but doesn’t fully engage until like 30 mph too much slip. Thought about taking washers out And running it, I think the spring makes enough contact on the button head style screw. Guess my other option is to grind down some 30mm ones to 27mm? Or I have some 6mm set screws then install the 19mm screws it came on top of them to test and see that 26mm will work.

Yeah you might want to put a 'dog point' on the screw so you can bottom it out in the hole without yacking the threads.

At that point you're also counting on the holes to be drilled perfectly deep.

Might want to screw the bolts in with no shoes, then measure them head to the hub surface, then grind them all to match perfectly, then put the shoes on with red loctite.

I've got this engine built but I never put it on the bike, since I've been riding the stocker rocker all summer. Now that season is over I'll probably get it back in the queue.

As long as this thread is getting bumped I'll throw in an update. I had mine let go again on a Thursday ride. Bolts bottomed out, red loctite. Performed great and shot off the line. But after about 10 miles a bolt still somehow backed out.

Maybe I'm totally screwed because of how many times this thing has come apart. Or maybe it's because I have a very early example. Either way, take this update with a grain of salt.

I don't think the 'bottoming out screws' thing in general is a acceptable way to secure the joint. Really it just needs some kind of positive locking or shoulder no matter what.

yeah good call on measuring bottomed out screws without pads to make sure holes are even length, didnt think about that. also maybe i just didnt have the cable adjusted right but the stock starter plate grabs real good and starts easy with the dos clutch surface.

These are m6 thread? How much bolt is sticking out of hub on these? What is inner diameter of clutch shoe?

On the ktms I run the mbr spacers, those are like 19mm long, 6mm id 8mm od, from memory? The washers I like are 15mm od. I've not had issue with bolts backing out, but I am snapping grade 12 hex heads on e50 gila. Trying some more finesse next time that motors together.

I should get one of these for v1

Graham, do you have a link to the china ktm pictured in your comparison? All the ones I've used have cast shoes, those ones look nice.

Scottee doesn't know. /

My 25mm perform about the same. Lots of revs on take off. Probably 30mph before full engagement.

Maybe some different springs.

Haven't put a ton of miles. Had to do a quick rebuild since the sprocket nut came off and ruined the threads.

> kevin - wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Just got one of these grabbed some 25mm length screws and it works but

> doesn’t fully engage until like 30 mph too much slip. Thought about

> taking washers out And running it, I think the spring makes enough

> contact on the button head style screw. Guess my other option is to

> grind down some 30mm ones to 27mm? Or I have some 6mm set screws then

> install the 19mm screws it came on top of them to test and see that 26mm

> will work.

Jordan, what fucks this up is that the starter clutch "backing plate" takes up about 4mm of thickness so the shoes are thinner by 4-5 mm than standard KTM, that means you can't make the bore any bigger for the shoulder bolt or you won't have room for the spring so you can't get a thicker shoulder to support the compressive stress that it needs to 'lock' the threads.

The only way to really fix this is to buy a shoulder bolt and turn it down on a lathe to have like 7 ish mm shoulder so there is enough room for a thick enough coil wire size spring to hold the stress, then turn the head down, at which point the hex risks stripping because it doesn't have enough depth of engagement to overcome the red loctite.

It's a bitch, man. The hub that Blake gave me with the bushed KTM taper is the best thing I've seen so far and run a kickstart. Afik that one came from Argentina or something and it's some weird next level clone thing. It's pretty racey, maybe better than OEM I dunno.

Scottee doesn't know. /

Anyone know of any springs that can be used on these ?

Scottee doesn't know. /

Did a little work on the botanas. Trying to add more engagement

Added some sipes.

Went through the spring drawer and found some with smaller wire diameter. Cut and matched length

Also went from running ctfr / 2w0-50 to strictly royal Purple atf.

PXL_20221103_231739573.jpg
PXL_20221103_234417590.jpg
PXL_20221103_234459645.jpg

Scottee doesn't know. /

Also...

PXL_20221103_234603803.jpg

Scottee doesn't know. /

Noticably lower engagement. Maybe slightly too low. Nothing washers can't help. Or play with clutch fluid.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account