Batavus Starflite City - 72,5ccm - variator

Hello Bat fans,

i got lots of informations from this site, so i like to share the work on this Starflite.

I'am nearly 60 with 115kf, so i need some power and, very important, variator.

First i reworked Zylinder and clutch. With SHA 15/15 it runs good, but in higher speed, to mouch rpm.

I bought a Doppler clutch pulley, Doppler variator, Airsal cylinder 47mm and crankshaft.

The crankshaft was a little to wide, i decided to get the engine case wider, not the crankshaft smaller.

20210425_132911.jpg

The advantage is, you get a bigger reed block in it!

20210425_133040.jpg

I had an old engine case and cutted a slice of about 6mm to make the case wider.

Distance peace for the cylinder, formed the 3rd intake channel/overflow. Bored the right distance for the bolts in cylinder and used a head from Peugeot 103 Pollini.

Cutted the cooling fins, so the match all together. There were some absence fins on the MBK AV10 cylinder, i glued them with JB weld. After that, painted the cylinder and glasblasted the head. Looks very original! I didn't like the engine swinging for the variator, like mbk or Peugeot, so i built 2 belt tensioner, connected with a spring.

20210520_182720.jpg

The reed block is printed nylon, with a distance piece, to get it longer as well as wider. With carbin parts from Malossi, cutted in right form. The intake i made from steel, one for 19mm Dellorto, one for the SHA 15/15 or max 16/16. The SHA looks small, what is important here, for not to go in jail ;-)

At first all run with a cheap china ignition, but now with MVT Millenium with digimax. The city is very powerfull from low rpm, love it! Max speed is about 55km/h or 60 with waiting a bit. But that is not the goal. I live in a hill area and go up the hills with 50, that is perfect now!!

Re: Batavus Starflite City - 72,5ccm - variator

Oliver Dee /

Some more pics:

20210605_125748.jpg
20210508_202842.jpg
20210510_190718.jpg

Oliver Dee /

The clutsh is adjustable now, with additional weights.

20210607_151103.jpg

The intake had to go a little to the side, space lost for the spring of belt tensioners.

20210620_152036.jpg

The distance pieces for the engine case

20210505_143206.jpg

Totally normal JBOT /

That’s very nice

This is quality content right here.

This thing is cool, it makes me want to find a batavus.

Yes yes yes yes yes thank you

This is awesome

I have been trying to find a cheap Doppler pulley to put on my Batavus that has a Morini M1 Airsal kit on it for like years; I've been worried about spending a bunch of money on a new Doppler and have it not work out the way I want. My bike hits like 50 but the acceleration is abysmal.

What cylinder is that? Peugeot? (edited)

Batavus.jpg

Yes!!! This is the coolest fast bat stuff I have seen. I really dig the belt tensioner, that’s some good shit!

Excellent stuff. Kinda blown away by slicing a piece of a spare case to make the whole thing wider. Looks great. Did you make the intake as well?

Oliver Dee /

But, i know, it is easier, may be better, to use another engine case, Polini MBK AV10 for example. But that was the challenge to do it with the Anker Laura M48.

@khool1499:

The cylinder is for Mobylette, Airsal Sport, just 50€. And, as said, head from Peugeot.

Had to bore the holes for the stud bolts anyway, and the Polini Head for Peugeot looked stiffer and the bore holes were already in the "near". For the boring of stud holes, i glued some alloy studs in the original holes of the cylinder, to better bore the new holes.

20210507_102010.jpg

@veetesse

The intake is made of steel, just welded and sanded inside and outside and painted.

I made just 2, one for the SHBC19, but that Carb looks too fat.

20210605_141543.jpg

This are the belt tensioners when i started to build them.

20210516_191110.jpg

Very cool stuff! I've got a Batavus with an M48 as well and I think among the whacko's... I mean devoted fans that like those bikes, there's always a quest to deal with clutch issues and getting more power. Good ideas!

Did you say you it goes 60km/h? I bet there's more speed in it...

What type of material did you use for the reed block? Nylon? (edited)

Oliver Dee /

Yes, that is Nylon 12 (Polyamid 12).

Just ordered online by sending the 3d file, my son made.

They had minimum 25€ order, so i ordered 2! 2 reed blocks and 2 spacers, 4 parts for 30€ included shipping.

You are right, that goes much more faster with other sprocket/pinion.

And resonance exhaust, big carb and so on...

I need it looking original and very, very quiet. They may take your car drivers license, when they catch you with illegal power...

And not to forget, that is a small Starflite City with 12" wheels. The 55-60 km/h feels like 55-60 mph on a regular moped ;-) Brakes are original...

What do you think, with what bike i have more fun? Although the other one is faster...

Anothe pic of the engine case, without the spacer. Forming the access to the 3rd overcurrent channel.

20210508_180410.jpg

Another pic of the airsal MBK AV10 cylinder with the glued fins, not painted this time. I don't know, why they are absence on the MBK. For the optik i wantet to have that complete.

20210510_190640.jpg

alright, small wheel batavus is sick.

Dirty30 Dillon /

This is a cool build.and most of all it's sick that you kept all the covers.

Amazing work

Wow! Great work. A couple super sneaky tricks here!

wow that belt tentioner is such a good idea! I used a clutch'd pulley on one years ago but kept the stock front, that is such a good solution!

> Toledo Riot Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> wow that belt tentioner is such a good idea! I used a clutch'd pulley on

> one years ago but kept the stock front, that is such a good solution!

This was my plan, the stock clutch engages so low and you can basically torque the clutch down enough to keep it always engaged anyways that this seemed like the way to go.

Variation with that tensioner though...

> Nick MBC Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Toledo Riot Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > wow that belt tentioner is such a good idea! I used a clutch'd pulley

> on

>

> > one years ago but kept the stock front, that is such a good solution!

>

> This was my plan, the stock clutch engages so low and you can basically

> torque the clutch down enough to keep it always engaged anyways that

> this seemed like the way to go.

>

> Variation with that tensioner though...

ya I just locked up the front pulley, because calling it more then that gives it to much credit, put a doppler clutch pulley in place of the old fixed pulley, and was good to go

Mad skillz, must be a wizard. How does one "glue" on an aluminum cylinder fin?

Oohhh, just found this thread, I'm loving this kind of ott moped madness!

Keep it up and keep us posted, following👍

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

Wow the case spacer is next level I am enjoy of this

Rad as hell!

Totally normal JBOT /

It's a lot easier to set one up if you just use quarter inch aluminum plate to make your case spacers.

With gaskets it works out to about 7 mm.

Then a long stroke movie shaft will fit in there.

With stock moby bearings.

And the thickness of the cylinder spacer depends on piston pin placement on the design.

The sweet thing is the bolt pattern is perfect for pug cylinders.

CWs working on it 82cc M48.

And use a cheap Moby CDI on it just need a adapter for the stator plate.

Just one tensioner on the bottom side attached to a launch lever is sweet setup for variated m48s

Awesome build, thanks for sharing!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account