New to mopeds - Could use help giving my Motobecane 7 more umph

Julien M /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Hey everyone,

I'm new to mopeds, and the community in general. A friend got a 50 series, and it was such a blast to ride around that another friend got a Honda Express 2 and I got a 1978 Moby 7 (25mph version) so we can cruise around town.

I have some experience working on cars (not much engine work though), but this whole 2 stroke engine deal is new to me so bear with me. I've read up on the forum and wiki as much as I could, and I know the 7 isn't a favorite and seems trickier to mod than most Mobys, but I could use some advice. It seems to run great right now and I don't expect it to be super fast, but I wanna ride it to work over the summer and it struggles up hills. Hence the need for more umph.

From what I've read, the first thing recommended is to swap out the carb for an SHA 15/15. This model has that funky intake though and I guess there's no aftermarket ones, so how can I make that work? Do I need the 30mph version intake (I've looked, but couldn't find any)? Could I bore out mine? Is there a different carb that would work better on the stock intake? Any other recommended mods for more umph? Don't wanna be in over my head either (porting sounds a bit scary).

Lastly, if anyone in the Santa Cruz CA area wants to teach me some things, that would be sweet too!

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  New to mopeds - Could use help giving my Motobecane 7 more umphTopic by: Julien M Julien M 07/09/21 02:20PM
  Re: New to mopeds - Could use help giving my Motobecane 7 more umphRe: Mike Boyd Mike Boyd 07/09/21 03:08PM
  Re: New to mopeds - Could use help giving my Motobecane 7 more umphRe: Julien M Julien M 07/09/21 04:12PM
  Re: New to mopeds - Could use help giving my Motobecane 7 more umphRe: Mike Boyd Mike Boyd 07/09/21 04:23PM
  Re: New to mopeds - Could use help giving my Motobecane 7 more umphRe: Julien M Julien M 07/09/21 05:08PM
  Re: New to mopeds - Could use help giving my Motobecane 7 more umphRe: Aaron Blair Aaron Blair 07/10/21 06:27AM
  Re: New to mopeds - Could use help giving my Motobecane 7 more umphRe: Julien M Julien M 07/10/21 03:05PM
  Re: New to mopeds - Could use help giving my Motobecane 7 more umphRe: Jesse Stephenson Jesse Stephenson 07/10/21 05:12PM
  Re: New to mopeds - Could use help giving my Motobecane 7 more umphRe: Julien M Julien M 07/12/21 01:22PM
  Re: New to mopeds - Could use help giving my Motobecane 7 more umphRe: pat splat pat splat 07/20/21 11:02PM
  Re: New to mopeds - Could use help giving my Motobecane 7 more umphRe: MPB Andyrew MPB Andyrew 07/22/21 09:11PM
  Re: New to mopeds - Could use help giving my Motobecane 7 more umphRe: Julien M Julien M 07/22/21 09:45PM
  Re: New to mopeds - Could use help giving my Motobecane 7 more umphRe: Jesse Stephenson Jesse Stephenson 07/21/21 12:49AM
  Re: New to mopeds - Could use help giving my Motobecane 7 more umphRe: Eric Davenport Eric Davenport 07/21/21 11:28AM
  Re: New to mopeds - Could use help giving my Motobecane 7 more umphRe: Jesse Stephenson Jesse Stephenson 07/21/21 01:53PM
  Re: New to mopeds - Could use help giving my Motobecane 7 more umphRe: Hugh Mann Hugh Mann 07/21/21 02:08PM
  Re: New to mopeds - Could use help giving my Motobecane 7 more umphRe: Julien M Julien M 07/22/21 02:10PM
  Re: New to mopeds - Could use help giving my Motobecane 7 more umphRe: Hugh Mann Hugh Mann 07/21/21 12:18PM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account