Re: treats puch cdi with parmakit box

so i did it. i set this up tonight on a stock maxi & it worked.

4C6BDC0A-2076-4031-9F50-FAED54E7644F.jpeg
A288EB88-45FE-4FAB-872B-6354CCC5AB20.jpeg
758A9B07-68A9-4391-BA28-DA638B0535C1.jpeg

i got pretty lucky & it actually fired right up when i first put the flywheel on to see where the cdi box fired.

it seems pretty cool…i still need to tie everything into the wiring harness & switch out the brake light switches for “on in paused position” switches & maybe even make a new wiring harness?

we’ll see but yea, it works. (edited)

update...i got the brake light circuit to work just fine without having to swap my switches over, as well as all of the other switches except for the horn, which just will literally never work unless you switch over to this style of switch.

https://www.treatland.tv/CEV-plastic-lights-and-horn-switch-p/cev-light-horn-switch-8199.htm

I'll make a wiring diagram maybe if anyone wants one, but its pretty straight forward.

I'm gonna play around with the parmakit box mounting position sooner than later. I'd really like to have my sidecovers back for that ultimate sleeper look with the rain protection i've come to know and love.

cdiwiringmess2.jpeg
cdiwiringmess.jpeg

Nice!

I have mine mounted with a little cut up chunk of street sign to the old coil bracket.

You should try it with a stock flywheel too, I think the og Bosch flywheels always run better than the cheap china CDI ones, the tapers are machined better and they stay put. Had the china ones slip on me

man, i need more parma boxes.

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Nice!

>

> I have mine mounted with a little cut up chunk of street sign to the old

> coil bracket.

>

> You should try it with a stock flywheel too, I think the og Bosch

> flywheels always run better than the cheap china CDI ones, the tapers

> are machined better and they stay put. Had the china ones slip on me

I'll give that a shot maybe next week. Can't hurt to know if that would work cuz then people would just need to buy the $41 CDI stator or maybe even just the $15 CDI coil and a $70 box to have a badass CDI.

HMMMM HMMM HMMMMM INTERESTING INTERESTING. (edited)

The magnet configuration may well be different, but it wouldn't hurt to look / try.

I'll use (and go over) the techinque that I used last time and report back.

It would be super cool if you could use this setup with a woodruff key. Like honestly next level game changer shit.

> LSLB RXb Wrote:

> I'll use (and go over) the techinque that I used last time and report

> back.

>

> It would be super cool if you could use this setup with a woodruff key.

> Like honestly next level game changer shit.

Very interested

> P D Wrote:

> Points and condenser are as simple and elegant as humanly possible .

>

> Two components , done and done .

>

> Not to mention the extra weight you have in your wallet . ;)

Nah. Points have all sorts of weird mechanical failure points: a cam, a spring, literal contacts that wear / corrode, etc.

A well designed CDI is far simpler, easier to time, and less prone to failure. It's simply a magnet passing over a coil, and a tiny bit of extremely simple circuitry.

POINTS ARE FOR BABIES

there, i said it.

like for actual babies with diapers

Dirty30 Dillon /

It's been said before:

Points are great, until they aren't.

At this point NO ONE is making OEM quality points for any moped anyways, so a CDI option from a big-name aftermarket like Parmakit/Polini/Malossi is ALWAYS going to be a better option.

All that^ may be true , but , when a CDI craps out yer done . That , no matter where you are . At least with points there's a very good chance that there's a road side fix to get you home .

How many of these shade tree mechanics will have the brains to figure it out may be a whole different chapter .

So OK, i put the puch bosch flywheel on there on the keyway and it fired up which is pretty cool, and the fact that you can see the 4 magnets is also very cool, unlike the chinese flywheel.

the stator was in the fully advanced position at first. It ran like SHIT. I retarded the timing, it ran even worse. The timing was too retarded for sure.

It could work if you dremel the stator for way more advance, but this is where my firing indicator was lining up when on the keyway fully advanced.

image023.jpeg

I switched back to the Chinese flywheel, left the stator fully retarded and put the flywheel a bit more advanced from where I had it previous to compensate and it runs SUPER WELL.

I can 100% feel the higher timing at lower RPMS when the clutch is engaging. It gets through the clutch so much quicker now, its great. I'll update more late, but yea.

it sorta works.

> P D Wrote:

> All that^ may be true , but , when a CDI craps out yer done . That , no

> matter where you are . At least with points there's a very good chance

> that there's a road side fix to get you home .

That may be true, but in my thousands of miles ridden I've never had a CDI crap out on me. Can't say the same for points.

I do buy quality ones and set them up correctly, which helps a lot. I've seen plenty of people run CDI setups with terrible wiring (particularly on the frame "ground"), which as anyone with a grasp of basic circuit theory knows is a recipe for ruining your day.

> Brian F Wrote:

> I do buy quality ones and set them up correctly, which helps a lot.

> I've seen plenty of people run CDI setups with terrible wiring

> (particularly on the frame "ground"), which as anyone with a grasp of

> basic circuit theory knows is a recipe for ruining your day.

Agreed . Quality pays for itself , both in components and workmanship . :)

we are talking about enamel coated copper wire wrapped around a coil body, it’s not anything hard or complex. & way easier to test for failure with a simple resistance test. if the ohms are dropping, the coil is failing.

Yep, and CDI boxes are dead simple too. Many moped folks seem to think that a couple of diodes, an SCR, and a capacitor = MAGIC. (edited)

i locked up my maxi today cuz I didn't rejet when I put the CDI on hehehe.

timing before jetting always!!!!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account