Re: New candy for your e50

> Graham Motzing wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah it's gonna be tough to test with that small amount of heat going

> into the oil. The cooling fins are going to work better as the 3rd

> power of temp increase, so it will reach a steady state where the temp

> becomes high enough that it's capable of shedding heat fast enough to

> balance. The goal would be to make that steady state temp low enough

> that you can prevent a big change in clutch operation.

>

> If you're not running a big high rpm ripper with a high clutch stall, I

> don't know if you can even create enough heat in the oil to hit that

> point but it will definitely come at a lower temp with the big fin boi.

>

> It's kinda like, if you're not making enough power to fade the clutch

> h with a stock cover how can you test to see if it's stopped fading with

> the finned cover?

I did see some added benefit from this already. When cold without the cooler, this bike was taking off at like 4.8-5k and then eventually engaging at like 4.3-4.5k when warmed up. This whole time I was riding with the cooler, it seemed to be slipping to 5k basically the whole time. I'll get more videos of this setup if the weather stays warm

I'm gonna drop my motor, tap and plug the stock e50 transmission vent on the cases and then make a vent in the cooler spacer ring so I can go buck with over filling the transmission fluid and keep testing.

I used to make some real fluid smoker e50s back in the day with a properly spaced AJH setup...but that's really all I was doing back then. I'm probably gonna end up building a polini e50 this winter (i sorta seized the stock cylinder and it hasn't really been great ever since lol) and have a jammer, the claw shoes (both types, the race and non-race variants) and some stock e50 shoes that I'll play around and make some heat with.

so I will def be hunting for brutal take off just like my kitted, small carbed and high clutched a35, and should certainly be making some serious clutch heat in the process.

If it is fighting the heat fade that much that is amazing. Very cool!

Nice, can't wait to see how this progresses, we definitely need to stop thread jacking though, haha.

> Sander Mulder wrote:

> > Dickie Thompson wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Will also be testing with a tomar as we get closer to the races next

>

> > season.

>

> Do you have an own topic already?, I would like to follow that kind of

> projects!

>

> i am also going to test oil coolers next season in races

No thread. I’ll make one in the coming weeks.

UPDATE: After 1,500 fun rocketship miles on a 70cc kitted e50 setup this CLAW clutch shows zero wear and no delamination of the shoes. I just pulled them off the bike which is now in dry and heated winter storage. As you can clearly see in the pic the shoes are now removed from the bike and in a clean fresh synthetic 0w20 oil bath for the winter (same exact oil I run in the e50 gearbox). Zero visible wear and no delamination after 1500 miles thus far

A08FBE0D-55A1-49A8-A43D-987B61D85639.jpeg

No brace?

No brace on mine because I set the stall speed on mine very low (~3500 rpms) so there is minimal strain being put on it before it fully engages

wow that is low. i dunno if i could consider that as a good benchmark for wear or call it a “rocketship” but i also don’t know the rest of your setup

Polini, malossi 4 petal, 18mm phbg, 17/40 gearing, tecno circuit pipe, hpi 210 ignition and of course the CLAW 2 shoe clutch with stock springs at 2 turns in from flush

polini makes a 70cc kit? last i checked they were 43.5mm bore & right around 64cc.

either way, thanks for those details.

Your right. It is 64cc. I have several extra of these polini kits still in the box in addition the one that I've been running. Here is one of them (edited)

DAEEDA32-FD47-414D-93E2-B1404D1C130D.jpeg

YES TO STOCK SPRINGS

2 turns in from flush. I have been running this on my E50 and it feels as close to a cvt as I suppose an E50 can get.

Go easy, it engages early, go hard, it slips to wherever… people gotta try this and I want to get these clutch arms.

At 3500 rpm engagement id rather just use a stock clutch, seems no gain in performance when it’s not even in the powerband yet. Not bracing is a bold move

Jay Rivett /

Man if I could find a 2 shoe brace I would have one. Partly the reason my claw arms are not currently in my bike.

> Thomas Peffer wrote:

> Your right. It is 64cc. I have several extra of these polini kits still

> in the box in addition the one that I've been running. Here is one of

> them

damn, i got a few of those things too here myself.

most of them are destined for a happy life on an a35 built for racing :)

I've been thinking of tossing one on an e50, it'll probably happen.

> Jay Rivett wrote:

> Man if I could find a 2 shoe brace I would have one. Partly the reason

> my claw arms are not currently in my bike.

Does this not work for yours? https://www.treatland.tv/MLM-puch-e50-clutch-brace-kit-p/mlm-puch-e50-clutch-brace-312.htm

I don't think bracing is a big deal at all, especially if you're not grabbing your clutch over 5k. Lighter clutch, less spring pressure and less force on the pins.

I still see a lot of advantage to this even at a low engagement, I cut/lighten my stock shoes even in pretty chill setups because it makes the spring more responsive and you can dial in the stall without putting a super heavy spring in there. My polini takes off great with lightened 2 shoe and paz orange springs.

> Graham Motzing wrote:

> I don't think bracing is a big deal at all, especially if you're not

> grabbing your clutch over 5k. Lighter clutch, less spring pressure and

> less force on the pins.

>

> I still see a lot of advantage to this even at a low engagement, I

> cut/lighten my stock shoes even in pretty chill setups because it makes

> the spring more responsive and you can dial in the stall without putting

> a super heavy spring in there. My polini takes off great with lightened

> 2 shoe and paz orange springs.

I was trying to type up something similar but I could not get the words right so I didn’t post it. You said it so elegantly.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account