Re: Tomos Jammer

so alright, i went back to my stock tomos clutches for 1st & second gear to try the jammer in a race bike. it’s not as good as we want it to be, but i think for my mild setup, i’m much happier with the $33 shoes from treats with a 9.5lb green spring on both 1st & second gear.

1st gear engages at 5k & 2nd grabs at 4k. perfect for this setup with the PHVA, it pulls to a blistering 8800rpms REAL quick & sounds great. no wild carb noise, just all that hunter goodness.

i also went from a SHA to a PHVA & that’s been super sick too. i got a new airbox concept that i’m working on with the help of jesse stephenson, josh aigen & some of the local skate homies & it really rocks.

here’s some pics of it with a sunset & some close ups of the airbox. it pulls still, regulated temperature air from above the motor inside frame just like a regular a35/a55 airbox does. I’ve almost got jetting down perfect, once i do i’ll release the recipe & the file for the airbox half.

i’ll probably make a new build thread soon, but hey, enjoy!

CC31A535-42FF-4FAC-AD72-D51461877818.jpeg
CC31A535-42FF-4FAC-AD72-D51461877818.jpeg
69786C18-4EF8-48ED-AFA9-6B2409BF6A47.jpeg
CCC3CCDC-3746-4FFD-B76A-B3EEC1A88EF0.jpeg

this is what the rubber coupler that i’m using right now looks like.

i’m waiting a new coupler from Jesse right now. it should be here tomorrow but i’ve settled at these settings for now.

29 idle, 1 3/4 turns out on the mixture screw, a8 needle in the middle clip, .64mm main jet, 30 slide. it’s really responsive & feels like it’s almost perfect.

DB0D1992-F6B7-40FD-8FFD-AF163F3291D4.jpeg

I just put a jammer with Malossi Whites on my wheelie Tomos after vaporizing a stock clutch with stock spring and destroying a stock clutch with a yellow spring. I had to file down the bolts as per usual but there was no washer with the clutch so I had to make one by filing down a washer I found that would fit over the crank but not into the bell.

I've had jammers on Tomos's I built to sell but never on a bike I've owned long term. Having ridden the shit outta this before the jammer I'm confident in saying the jammer makes a huge difference

Airsal kit, 15 SHA and matching MLM intake, Athena reedblock/reeds, Tecno Estoril, 1st gear jammer with Malossi white springs, stock 2nd gear clutch, 27 front sprocket 24ish rear.

Clutch slips the perfect amount, I can cruise just cracking the throttle without issues. Then when the clutch grabs it pulls hard. This thing feels like a well tuned e50 clutch; almost like the bike has 3 gears. Only ridden it for 10 minutes so far but I almost looped it because I wasn't expecting it to pull so hard at 25-30ish mph (edited)

PXL_20210103_203432184.jpg

i’ve recently gone back to the jammer with white malossi springs. i swapped over to an estoril on that motor & changed my gearing as well as my tires.

i’ve got a tachometer on there & regularly see the clutch stall at 6k and drop to 5.5k when it fully engages.

i’m VERY happy with the results, but in the hunt for even better takeoff & quicker shifting into 2nd gear, i think i’m gonna fuck around & try the yellow springs tomorrow.

i definitely will post back with results.

here’s a pic of the bike in the meantime

1CB4CC46-A150-4F29-A928-148AAD76062E.png

Took a ~40 mile ride this weekend, and wound up stripping the splines on both the crank and the jammer. Correction to my earlier post, my gearing is 27 front 28 rear. I believe my gearing was too aggressive. Not sure if I'll be able to run the jammer on a new crank or not but I'm going to try. Kind of sucks I got less than 100 miles out of it.

PXL_20210906_151749402.jpg

so alright, when you start the bike, do you make sure the rear wheel is stopped before you take it off the stand?

if the rear wheel is moving & you just immediately pop it off the stand & it comes to a sudden stop, it’s the splines that are taking all that impact.

> LSLB RXb Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> so alright, when you start the bike, do you make sure the rear wheel is

> stopped before you take it off the stand?

>

> if the rear wheel is moving & you just immediately pop it off the stand

> & it comes to a sudden stop, it’s the splines that are taking all that

> impact.

I know. I start the bike, grab the rear brake and pop it off the stand. I never hit the ground with a spinning wheel on any bike I own since you're just beating the shit out of the clutch components when you do that. I am primarily using this bike for wheelies, and on occasion when shit gets away from me I have to lock up the rear brake to bring the front end down quick. That doesn't happen often enough for it to be the sole cause of this though (I can only think of maybe 4 times since I've had the jammer that I've had to do it)

i’m gonna keep an eye on mine for sure, but that’s a super bummer

> LSLB RXb Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> i’m gonna keep an eye on mine for sure, but that’s a super bummer

Talking to some friends, seems like the stock crankshaft splines are dog shit and as they've shredded them on rippers before as well. The splines on the jammer are pretty rough now, but hopefully with a new crank and less aggressive gearing I don't have to throw it in the garbage

i’d pull the springs & shoes & call it a loss bro. buy a new one & don’t risk thrashing a new crank trying to make trash work unless the splines really aren’t bad at all

I put a new crank in, tested to make sure there was no slop when I mounted the jammer to the crank and it felt good. I've put about 300 miles on this after the crank and I pulled it apart because it started engaging weird and sounding a little funky. I'm guessing the White springs are a little too stiff, the springs dug into the spring holes on the arms and the clutch material is somewhat fucked. Gonna go back to stock springs on new jammer arms

PXL_20211008_203201401.jpg
PXL_20211008_203204872.jpg

i’ll pull my clutch soon & inspect everything shortly. i was gonna put malossi yellows on there cuz i wanted more power after racing at mopedGP east

i still think i will.

in the meantime, here’s a picture of an mlm intake & doppler er2 reeds

9E388F30-72D8-43D9-A603-A31AF3799D56.jpeg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account