Airsal 65cc clutch failure???

Got a maxi that had low miles. drove it for a few years and than decided I wanted more power so I got an airsal 65cc and a tecno circuit it ran good and hit high 30s for about ten miles yesterday (the day I installed it) than went to start it today and the clutch cable was loose so I tightened it a bit and tried to get it to run, no good checked for spark, yes, than I smelled tranny fluid so I looked down and saw it dripping from the bottom. (I am still trying to trace it) and tried to start it again but then it backfired and the clutch wont engage at any adjustment.

My thoughts...

Good timing.

kit installed properly.

have spark.

old gaskets couldn't handle the kit?

Rebuild the old sucker with new gaskets?

What happened to my clutch/clutches?

what do I do now?

I'm seriously consider ripping this e50 apart and building a really nice setup the case hasn't frozen (thank God!) and the flywheel turns ok

this would be my first e50 build so for a mild street setup I wouldn't mind recommendations on better parts to toss in.

Looking for pointers on what I should do... (edited)

Re: Airsal 65cc clutch failure???

Tear it down dude, maybe an hour tops... Everything you seek is inside your moped

I am having a hard time putting the evidence and narrative together to form a hypothesis.

It is very easy to take an E50 apart and put it back together. The tools to replace bearings, pull flywheel/clutch are affordable or probably can be borrowed if you don’t already have em.

But, if the problem seems to be clutch side related, take the clutch cover off and poke around in there.

Post pics when stuff breaks. We are all interested in the carnage and usually can offer more help if we see it.

Maybe you've increased the compression and the starter clutch is slipping.

The cylinder doesn’t just cause something else to break. You’ll have to inspect the clutch by draining the fluid and taking the clutch cover off. You’ll also need a clutch puller to get the clutch out. (If you haven’t bought one yet then go ahead and grab one and a flywheel puller as well.)

> Saabsonettguy . Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Maybe you've increased the compression and the starter clutch is

> slipping.

Also a good starting point. If that lever bottoms out on the handlebar then you need to adjust it tighter. There some screw near the clutch cover and if that’s not enough you need to pull more cable out through the lever. It should grab halfway. So it will get tight before it bottoms out on the handlebar

roots to wings /

What does the clutch look like? Old gaskets? The airsal comes with new ones...

Tommy K /
amf OP

played with it a bit tonight

tightened up the clutch all the way-barely engaged, used vice grips and yanked it almost nothing, Gonna order a tool from treats and pull it, in the meantime I'll ride my other peds,

Sounds like your clutch cover is just loose and coming off.

You don't need the puller to check the starter clutch mech, all that is right under the cover, just 4 flat head screwes and a little snap ring

If you don't have a screwdriver and a socket to take th clutch cover off and look at the clutch I don't know how you expect us to help you. Your hamfisted "just tighten the cable as much as I can" approach will cause issues if you continue to work on vehicles with that attitude

> Tommy K Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> tried to

> start it again but then it backfired and the clutch wont engage at any

> adjustment.

When you say the clutch won’t engage, do you mean you can’t get any tension with the starter clutch and thus can’t start the bike or do you mean when the bike starts it won’t move forward when it gets gas?

Backfiring is usually a sign of electrical issues, not clutch issues. When you put the kit on, did you do anything with the stator? If you turn the engine over, whether by starting the bike, pedaling while pulling the clutch lever, or using a drill on the flywheel side, do you see sparks arcing at the points?

Tommy K /
amf OP

when I say the clutch wont engage I mean that there is absolutely no tension when The cable is pulled even all the way so adjusting wont do any good. I have removed the clutch cover and will give you all a picture soon. thanks for the help. also when I said backfired I just mean it fired weird and died the bike wouldn't start and run the last time without complete clutch engagement

Tommy K /
amf OP

Ok, its been a few weeks got a 65cc head put new gaskets turns out piston hit the head... but not bad. base gasketed 1.5mm and put a 15mm carb this is my first kit I'm not a expert but I'm doing my best. Rebuilt the clutch, seal was torn so that was the fluid leak. and actuator arm broke but I fixed it. gonna start a new thread so I dont change topics but hits 45 every now and then... almost there!

-Tommy K (edited)

Richard Eberline /

Rebuilt the engine, with at least new seals and insect bearings. To change the c/s seal you need to remove a bearing.

Good Timing, is BS, what is the timing number?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account