Puch 5 star disc brake idea

Wanted to bounce a idea I had .

I’m building up a Custom bike and had a idea for for a rear disc brake .

I was gonna make a plate with matching threads for the free wheel . It screws on then I’ll mark and drill 3-4 holes and tap the hub. So you screw the plate on to the free wheel threads then the 3-4 bolts prevent it from loosening up etc. then you can bolt the disc brake to that.

Think it will be strong enough?

Re: Puch 5 star disc brake idea

Probably Fred /

> ben towle Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Wanted to bounce a idea I had .

>

> I’m building up a Custom bike and had a idea for for a rear disc brake .

>

> I was gonna make a plate with matching threads for the free wheel . It

> screws on then I’ll mark and drill 3-4 holes and tap the hub. So you

> screw the plate on to the free wheel threads then the 3-4 bolts prevent

> it from loosening up etc. then you can bolt the disc brake to that.

>

> Think it will be strong enough?

OK what about the rest of it? where and how do you put on the caliper? What kind? where do you put the pedal chain?

VDM makes a rear disk kit. take a look and you might get a ideal.

Rear disc has been done on a moped.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?7,3432052

Shhhhh

Sachs snowflakes have the brake on the other side from the rear sprocket

im building a bike from scratch, i went to school for welding and general metal fab. then became a machinist doing r&d work. im just to lazy to make a full rear hub from scratch.

i was not planning on using the pedal free wheel since im using a minarell v1 kick start so no pedal chain is needed. ive converted my other bike pepi sport to have a rear disc brake the way others have done it. putting a puck in the drum brake area and attaching with screws around the out side radialy.

i wanted to know what others thought of the mounting option. you know bounce the idea off to see what others think.,

using the stock free wheel threads then, using bolts to prevent the mounting plate for the disc from unscrewing.

> Taylor King Wrote:

> Rear disc has been done on a moped.

>

> https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?7,3432052

this is how i did my rear disc on my other bike. i wanted to use the puch rims on this build since i bought the complete front end and forks setup from treats. didnt want to have to have the disc and sprocket on the same side .

> Jeff Parr Wrote:

> VDM makes a rear disk kit. take a look and you might get a ideal.

not a bad idea. i thought about doing it that way. but was thinking my idea would lower rotating mass. with the mount of mill/lathe work for that style i could just make a hub from scratch.

Why not just get the VDM brake kit and fabricate up what you need to put it onto your custom bike. Like you said you were not trying to reinvent your wheel. Those kits have everything you need minus the swing arm.

Take a look at what some of the euro maxi race guys are building for their rear end disc / swing arms. I follow this guy who builds them with a crazy mono shock that goes up to the top cross bar.

D2055AF1-D17E-4C1A-8003-CC20C7C41DB0.png

Buy a mike Thomas replacement disc, make some spacers and get some longer bolts. I’ll be able to put the pedal chain freewheel back on and still use it.

I believe squirrels (wheelie king) is done the same way

IMO, the front disk on the rear will be too much of a good thing. It would be nice to ad some sort of proportioning valve to drop the pressure a bit so its not lock up central.

> Michael Thomas Wrote:

> IMO, the front disk on the rear will be too much of a good thing. It

> would be nice to ad some sort of proportioning valve to drop the

> pressure a bit so its not lock up central.

I was thinking about that for both of my calipers. The rear disc on my Tomos is half the diameter of this one so in theory it should grab twice as much? I can not lock up the Tomos though. It’s not enough pressure even with a stainless line.

> Jay Rivett Wrote:

> Why not just get the VDM brake kit

I could make it for a fraction what there charging to be honest. I might be lazy but I’m also cheap lol .

I like that idea using spacers and longer bolts for mounting the hub.

I’ve kinda just gotten into mopeds to tell the truth. I wanted a small bike to have fun with around town etc and didn’t feel like doing the cheap motorcycle thing. After comping across and rebuilding a pepi kinda wanted to make one from scratch.

Gave me lots of ideas to work with.

Picture is of the bike I rebuilt and kinda got me hooked. (edited)

AE3410F8-F4AC-47FF-908D-D112389403CF.jpeg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account