Installing Airsal 65cc kit on my Puch Maxi

Hey all! I am mostly a lurker but am in the process of rebuilding and wanted to get some info on the 65cc airsal kit if anyone has experience with it. Here is the kit http://www.treatland.tv/puch-airsal-kit-p/puch-airsal-44mm-kit-02030844.htm

My questions are basically this:

When installing the exhaust, did it not fit? I've been removing some of the fins and some of the exhaust but it is still not very much close to fitting. how thin did you have to trim them?

Speaking of trimming, is case matching extremely necessary on this kit? I really wasn't planning on it and the reviews on treats seemed to indicate it wasn't wholly needed so I was curious about the implications of not case matching the cylinder? The gasket seemed to fit pretty well without it

Thanks!!

Re: Installing Airsal 65cc kit on my Puch Maxi

I definitely had to remove a bunch of material to get my circuit pipe to fit on that kit without leaking.

It'll run fine without matching the transfers, but you're leaving some power on the table that way. If you're rebuilding the bottom end anyway, which you should, matching the cases to whatever kit you're using is a no-brainer.

What pipe are you installing? Sometimes the header is a little big or the fins are large, in both cases a dremel to cut it down should be ok.

roots to wings /

i had the same problem with with the same kit and an estoril and probably used the wrong solution. I used the exhaust gasket that came with the kit and added a crush gasket also. After I thought about it some more, it would seem to make sense to dremel or file down a bit of the flange at the header rather than take any of the fins off your head. I ended up filing down an old 10mm socket to fit on the nut so I could bolt it down, but it's still a bit of a bitch to squeeze it in between the pipe and the fins on the left side. I think it would be minor dremeling to the fins though and probably ok to do, but didn't ask. buehler?

roots to wings /

Note on the 65cc airsal on a maxi. When I put one on my 77 I ended up needing a thicker base gasket and thin head gasket so the piston would not hit the dome. Stock head. Be sure to check that before you put your circlips in because I didn't and had to take them off and put them on again...

Trim down the exhaust pipe flange to fit, much easier than trying to clearance the fins.

^Graham is correct.

I third Graham's suggestion.

Moving forward it is best to mock up your pieces before installing them on the bike. If you had tried to install your pipe onto the cyl before putting it on the engine you would have seen any possible clearance issues then. But it has been my experience that if the pipe isnt going onto the cylinder right it is usually my fault and not any actual clearance issue. Most of the time you cant use the pipe mounting bracket to hold the pipe on the bike while you attach the header to the cyl. It just wont work. You need to attach the pipe to the cyl then try to get the mounting bracket attached to the bike. Many times I end up needing to make a bracket to get the pipe to attach to the frame.

My steps:

1) Get the cylinder properly installed and tightened down with the head. Some cylinder kits can have a little wiggle to them if you dont add in the sleeves to the stud holes.

2) ditch the exhaust studs and use some good hardened m6 bolts. I have had more problems with studs than ever stripped out any mounting threads. Just be careful to not miss thread your bolts.

3) use a thick crush gasket

4) mount the pipe to the cylinder but leave the studs a little loose so you can wiggle the pipe a little to try and get the rear mount set with the frame mount. If you can slip a bolt in to hold it, then do that and tighten up the header.

5) tighten down the rear mount. If it feels like it is pulling the pipe too much then stop and fabricate a bracket to get the mounts to work.

I have only had to modify a header flange once and it was due to it having been warped slightly and it was also not the correct pipe for the bike but I made it work.

roots to wings /

i tried an mlm cali pipe on the airsal too and there it absolutely did not fit. i had to significantly grind down the flange to get it to fit. I actually used your method with a new 65cc cylinder that is for a future project to mock up the fit and there as no way it was going to fit without grinding. the estoril fit on the stock pipe fine.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account