Tomos clutch perfectionizing majigger

Check it out suckwads,

I was moved by jbots sappy ass thread on genfor and i was thinking i haven't posted enough cool shit from my shop lately, mostly because i'm secretly working for the NSA on reverse engineering soviet era moped tech, but this is one that i can share.

IMG_20201203_200405.jpg

I dunno, the truth is that I do this shit and while i'm working on it, I'm like 'I'll post it when I get it finished' then I finish it and instantly get bored and never post it.

So this is my Tomos clutch truing machine. I have been talking about the mcmaster-carr friction material for years, I found some local jokers that do semi-truck brakes back in like 2008, 2009 and i had them do some clutches for me, they sucked. The dudes totally fucked it up and they never ran right, but i saw what they did, I did some research, found the shit they were using and made my own and they fucking rocked... shit is still in that motor, since then i've built a few and i post on here all the time about it but you people want to just re-use the shitty cork or leather or lace or fuckin velour some shit whatever.

So, back when i was doing this a few years ago I had a lathe, which was perfect but my machinist buddies didn't like that i was getting grody abrasive shit all over their machines and now i don't got one, so I was trying to figure out a way to do it. I bought this goofy little cross-slide on amazon for like 20 bucks, then i 3d-printed some jigs to bolt it on to my shitty HF belt sander, done.

IMG_20201117_181040.jpg
IMG_20201117_210219.jpg

Works perfect, lets me dial in the clutch clearance which has to be super perfecto tight to keep from exploding your trans. I bet your fuckin leather whatever bullshit isn't super perfecto tight tolerance and thats why you spit out those pins and crack shoes, isn't it?

I got a motor to put these in but the bike isn't ready and probably won't be but i do want to get it done by spring so we'll see, i would like to break these so i can be wrong and try to figure out how to make better tomos clutches, but i haven't been wrong yet and they fuckin shred. (edited)

Re: Tomos clutch perfectionizing majigger

Totally normal JBOT /

How do you fucking bond that shit dawg I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedddddddd

cool story on the 420 broham,

i was working at this crazy place a few years ago in texas and we had to test a bunch of different epoxies to bond shit to aluminum so i bought like every fuckin glue in the book and that shit was actually too good, the dudes on the assembly line fuckin hated it because it stuck to everything and they kept fucking up and wrecking like 20,000$ hunks of aluminum, so they decided we had to throw it all out and i was like 'yoink' and deebo'd like 6 tubes.

Totally normal JBOT /

Hell yeah I’ve been looking for something really good to bond clutch and brake material. Thank you

Totally normal JBOT /

It’s all about the tools ya have

I had to true the moby shoes today, haha lol The pads were way too thick so the lathe worked great to get them down to the perfect height. Tried sanding and that sucked shit

yeah broseph i'd send you some but its kinda useless without the like $300 dispenser gun and also its all been sitting in my garage going on like 7 years and its getting kinda funny.

I use that pc7 epoxy and that shit is great too, i think jb weld is probably just fine too, but i keep the pc7 around for building up transfers and shit because it has a better putty consistency. I feel like it 'wets out' better if you know what i mean, its like getting chewing gum on your shoe, whereas the JB doesn't really do that.

the tomos clutch shoes are actually pot metal not aluminum so you don't have to be as picky about breaking up the oxide layer. if your prep is good and you bevel the edges like i did, the shit doesn't really want to peel up in the first place so its not a problem, you could probably use contact cement for real... i think that or like spirit gum or some kinda varnish/shellac based glue shit is what they are from the factory. Urethane glue? Seriously. if you don't bevel them like a fucking moron, the shits gonna peel off no matter what. i've done brake shoes like this too and they work fine.

i would like to play with some next level kevlar shit and huff a bunch of MEK or whatever it is that space shuttle dudes are on to, but for everything i've done this cheap crap from mcmaster is the horse's dong.

Totally normal JBOT /

You required a gun to use it?

Three gotta be a way to manually milk that shit out

its thickk as fuck, i dunno, you could figure it out, fuckit i'll send you a toob, shits gonna rot sitting in my garage either way.

Totally normal JBOT /

Said it’s only good for 2 yrs

Hot

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Machining a tire balancer yoke to hold and balance bell and clutch assemblies if you have access to a tire balancer... Wishlist shit

Yeah I've thought about how to build a dynamic balancer, the cost and accessibility of MEMS accelerometers has gotten so good, arduino libraries and shit.... It could definitely be done by an average dummy like me with enough time but I'm just in no way disciplined enough to pull that off

this is cool, i'd love to test one of these clutches.

but at this point, i would also just throw a jammer in there too and say goodbye to shitty pins and shitty cast shoes and all that.

This is the stuff I need to see here. This forum is a desert and this is an oasis.

So what's the clutch-to-bell clearance you look for?

Yeah it's a shame that so much traffic is over on Facebook, that site sucks and you can't find any information and most of what people post is stupid and no context. The format and interface on here is so much better for actually posting info but FB has that AI that's like crack for your brain.

I like what Andy is doing posting some discussion on the FB but then summarizing it for posterity on here. I'm gonna try doing more of that and just try to document better in general, I do a lot of cool stuff but I just don't think to post. It's funny all the social media stuff, like, it takes work to post and I guess the only reward is positive reactions, and I've just kinda got to the point where I don't give a fuck what anyone thinks, so it's not worth the positive affirmations... Like even adams comment there... I was gonna explain who I think this is better than a jammer but I was like fuckit I don't really care if you think it's better or not, haha.

The clearance thing is something I would like to experiment with a bit but the clearance is critical, if you think about how the springs are working, is kinda like preload vs sag in a suspension, if you have it preloaded with a tight spring it doesn't chatter around and move until our hits the rpm where the mass over comes the spring. I'm shooting for like .030" but practically speaking the process hasn't been accurate before because the lathe bit moves the shoes around and they have high and low spots, so they where really more like .050-060" . The grinder is more precise if you believe it, so I'm closer to the .040 number. We'll see when I get it together if it needs a tighter spring. These pads in general just slip more so that helps as well.

If you think about it, friction force is proportional to pressure, so even after the shoes are touching the bell, the spring is working against the inertia force to limit pressure... I think that's why this design works so well, because the shoes and bell are fully touching and the faster you go, the more pressure you get transferring torque, making the shift super smooth and keeping the rest of your parts from chattering and destroying themselves.

You can definitely see where on this style clutch even a mm of wear just destroys everything in that trans... Chatter and jerk is the enemy, gotta have everything perfectly snug and it can take a ton of power.

Also, if you have ever trued up drum brakes... It's insane, they get like 6 times better when they are actually round and curved to contact the drum.

Well I won't get into why I think this place is a desert but I'm not surprised this place holds no weight anymore.

This seems like the sort of thing you could sell to people if you completed a process and perfected it. I get the feeling that's not a thing you seem inspired to do though.

There are plenty of us here that super appreciate posts like this! Thank you!

So I do this with scooter clutches quite often as only the tips make contact.

But they way I do it has the radius closer to the actual radius of the mating bell.

I take a piece of fine emery cloth and some spray adhesive and I glue a strip of emery inside the bell facing towards the clut, then I mount the whole shebang up on the bike and spin it up with the motor a few times to the point of grabbing and then pull it and check to see if the contact is good.

Once I am done I brake clean off the sandpaper and haul ass. If you don't do something like this you are leaving a ton of bite off the table.

Totally normal JBOT /

That’s a cool idea

Yeah that's kinda how I true up brake drums, but that's a great idea for dry clutches.

I had another thought for this a while back to cut a tooth into a scrap bell and use it like a cutter tool, but I couldn't figure out how to make that work in my brain.

Yeah I had thought about selling the whole clutch assembly, reman'd with good springs and trued up, kinda like a hank kok... I guess I'll see. If I get a chance later this weekend when I'm on the computer I can post up the part files for anyone who wants to replicate this.

Oh hey, never forget!

At least send me the printer files for the fixture.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account