Treats front disc setup alignment

Terbo Speghetti /

So I've got my treats caliper mounted up on EBRs with the treats bracket. They say it should all line up, but I had to add a 3mm spacer (might still need .3 or .4mm more) between the bracket and the forks.

spacer.jpg

I haven't set a disc brake up from scratch, but as far as I know, the outer pad (without the piston against it) should be as close as possible to the disc without touching at rest, and the piston side pad should push against the rotor and deflect it a tiny bit into the other pad.

As far as I can tell, there's no way I could move that outer pad 3mm away from the rotor and still be able to brake. Might not even fit in the cutaway on the caliper. It's a pretty tight fit on that side as it is:

atrest.jpg

So, does anyone else run this setup? Did you have to use spacers like this or am I missing something? (edited)

Re: Treats front disc setup alignment

Maybe you should space the axle ?

Terbo Speghetti /

Good thought, but I have it centered to the tenth of a mm. Wouldn't wanna undo that

There are too many variables to assume it will mount up perfect. The bracket and ebrs and caliper combo was originally derived for the puch 5star conversion. Im not familiar with your wheel and disk setup.

Terbo Speghetti /

I get that there's a lot in play, but this is all the stuff that treats designed together, didn't think I'd have to be cutting spacers on the lathe. The treats pages clearly say that the parts were designed around each other and not a Puch wheel conversion like you say.

If it was a washer or two, ok. 3mm just seems like a lot

Dirty30 Dillon /

In reality, the only thing that was designed is the bracket. The caliper, forks, wheel, and disk are all just off-the-shelf items, so variation will exist. And even then, mopeds are still mopeds and have little to no funding behind R&D at this point, outside of Malossi/Polini and some smaller European manufacturers.

And even those folks aren't super interested in developing fork/wheel/brake innovations.

All of these "kits" come with stacks of washers for spacing. Essentially it's hardware from 3 separate manufacturers that can be made to work together

Looks like a spacer between the hub and rotor . Maybe possible to 'resize' that ?

> Terbo Speghetti Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Good thought, but I have it centered to the tenth of a mm. Wouldn't

> wanna undo that

I used thin e50 shims to get proper spacing. Even cut one in half and used red lock Tight to keep it wedged in there. (edited)

Hahahah "ma moped parts dont fit ryte". Mopeds are a boutique market, mass produced consistency just wont happen when parts are made by the hundreds and then adapted to god knows what.

Terbo Speghetti /

Can you read? The parts are explicitly designed for each other

can u flip the legs? looks like theres more meat on the inside.

The caliper is self aligning, as long as it is close to lining up on the rotor it should correct it self after a few squeezes.

Terbo Speghetti /

> pat splat Wrote:

> can u flip the legs? looks like theres more meat on the inside.

This is a new idea and I bet it's exactly where the discrepancy lies. Good brainery

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> The caliper is self aligning, as long as it is close to lining up on the

> rotor it should correct it self after a few squeezes.

Yeah from your second pic there it looks like the frame is off center by a couple mm.

Terbo Speghetti /

Yeah the rotor is not centered in the caliper. I could do that, but the spacers would grow in that case.

Which is honestly fine, I'm just trying to see what I put together differently than whoever else has built this setup. Centering that rotor would put me at like 4 or 5mm and I don't see that being the result of tolerances in only 3 parts. Just wanna suss out whether I could have saved the time and material on the lathe.

Alex Fredericksen /

Just throw some washers on it and float the disc in the middle. The pads will adjust.

can't u just turn the leg a little

Just space it out

So there are a few types of ebr - some have flat mount - and others the caliper mounts are staggered. I assume you ordered correctly, and installed the bracket correctly, so maybe it just needs a little more spacing. Your wheel hub width may be coming into play. The Mike Thomas setup is still a time saver. One doesn't have to make the bracket and get the proper alignment of the piston/pads and the rotor surface. Before this kit, I made one from scratch, it took me a few tries.

looking at this more, you have flat mount forks right? the mounts on the forks arent staggered? I think you received the wrong bracket maybe? I have one that is flat. that may mean less spacers for you based on your pics. I would definitely get it centered in the disc and as free spinning as possible. I had mine positioned badly once, it caused the disc and wheel to want to twist and bind, and fight the fork stay.

https://www.treatland.tv/SearchResults.asp?Search=mike+thomas+bracket

Johnny Braaapp /

Shit, if he ain’t got this figured out from November, I would have just sold it.

Terbo Speghetti /

This is not a Mike Thomas bracket, not sure where you got that idea. As I understand it, the Mike Thomas bracket was designed around the Puch wheel disc conversion and EBRs.

There is another version of this bracket (designed around the "treats spoke disc" and EBRs), but it says it's for closed dropout EBRs, which I def don't have.

I haven't really looked at this since I took my lathe apart to CNC convert it. Can't make more spacers until that's back up later this month.

I'm sure I've got something flipped around or backwards from what treats designed, but I'm glad someone else thinks it's as much of a stumper as I do.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account