Re: Solo Fuckery

Eric Whatley /

Holy shit I just read this whole thing and it melted my brain! I rigged a 14/12 and drilled out the intake to 14. I would love mild porting advise as I have the $50 special laying here as a spare. I have done case matching but never cylinder and piston work. Please advise!

20200520_195637.jpg

That bike looks dope!

Totally normal JBOT /

Yeah cool bike. Well I laid it all out here, if you have any direct questions just ask

Eric Whatley /

Sent you a pm here.

Totally normal JBOT /

Had some hot temps that got me 4 cornering, became a superheated sealed water chamber when ripping hills.....got to 350 sealed up and that sucks. That’s too hot for a sealed chamber and I felt like the pressures were getting a bit too obscene.

So I chopped some 1/8npt ports with 3/8 or 1/2in barb into the cyl and head and now it can run thru a radiator. Have to play with hose diameter but it should keep temps closer to 200 than 350 at least.

DB0A6DE6-D3F0-4D91-9A5F-63DB952C10E5.jpeg
905FED43-104B-4B84-A775-1D9E25432389.jpeg
B625C7A8-D747-40AD-9A4E-11F60B177E93.jpeg

Are you going to thermosiphon this or drive off a pump?

Totally normal JBOT /

Don’t know, thermo hasn’t worked for me like ever. I like to push timing if I can so a pump really helps keep it cooler on the long mountains. I’m gonna try that weird ruckus plastic radiator to see how it does.

The 2 speed pulley is leaking like crazy. I think it’s the front axle seal so I gotta figure out what size it is then swap that. Used sealant for the large black covers oring but that’s holding fine.

I gotta chop these pedal arms too. Gonna switch to a legal version of “operable” pedals with like 1-2 inch travel so they won’t hit the ground on turns. Riding with the lever activated antibackup pedal function, I’m always trying to bring one pedal arm side up for turns since this moped is low boiii but it’s not fun to have to prepare the pedal position every turn and pull a lever to backpedal.. I guess I’m used to backpedaling more than front pedaling

Maybe I’ll get better at releasing the lock it but getting your shins smashed at stops from the pedal shaft being totally unlocked is way worse so yeah cool story bro

Totally normal JBOT /

Well fuck it,

I don’t like this bike with a radiator and pump. It just ruins this bike for me. If I can’t run the sealed water chamber original cyl id rather go air cooled with a kit. So I put 1/8npt plugs in the ports I tapped. And refilled like original.

But think I can get the sealed chamber to work even to very high temps. My 4 cornering was just from too lean and hot and advanced timing, but all those variables can be adjusted to get a happy mix for temps I think.

So I retarded timing a bit and gonna upjet the carb tomorrow. Rode the mountains today and it did great, got to 360 but was fine with no 4 cornering. Just very happy to ride this stupid weird fucking bike again.

On a plus’s you can change or check the fluid without pulling the kit apart. Such a cool bike.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

Why not just run some copper 3/8ths tubing or something along the frame or in a cool design and use that itself as the radiator

Totally normal JBOT /

It’s more about the look and spirit of the bike.

The sealed chamber idea is 100% unique to this engine and it just seems wrong not to use it if I can get away with using it. No one has really pushed this setup and I’d like to experiment with it as much as possible before going to a pump/rad. I’d also like to try that waterless coolant in this setup just to see what would happen. It doesn’t boil til like 375 or something.

I can always add a radiator later if jetting and timing doesn’t drop temps to where I need them.

What I do want to do is add a temp or pressure sensor into the 1/8npt port I cut in to know the water temp and pressure. Just gotta find one that would work.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

I mean yeah idk what a e s t h e t I c a you're going for but thought just some raw copper hidden along the frame or something to have a radiator without having a radiator ya know

Alan Jackson /

i was wondering if there was anyway you could have stepped ramps in the variator so as to emulate gear changes?

stepped and angled?

would/could something like that work?

Totally normal JBOT /

I already can. I have the vari lock on this setup so I can stop variation wherever I want. But the 2 speed pulley throws a wrench into this by shifting at odd times sometimes dependent on throttle position and variation amount.

I need to play with shift variables once it’s running consistently

Alan Jackson /

yeah ive seen your "notched" vari lock. i just thought if the ramps were stepped then there would be a bit more predictable "gear changes"

What is 4 cornering in this context?

> Brian F wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> What is 4 cornering in this context?

When a piston soft or hard seizes both sides of exhaust and intake….

> EH FCC of the QCB wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Brian F wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > What is 4 cornering in this context?

>

> When a piston soft or hard seizes both sides of exhaust and intake….

Ahh got it, thank you!

Totally normal JBOT /

It only had scoring on the 2 corners near the intake.. wasnt bad and reducing timing helped with temps. Haven’t gone over 360 now and it’s mostly as powerful as before.

Still climbed the big 3 steep hills I have around here so that’s cool

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account