Puch e50 blue clutch spring adjustment

Stock 2 shoe clutch, upgrading to the blue springs for some decent slip-stock springs are 4.25 turns out from bottomed out. Any tips on a good starting point ? Thanks Marty

Re: Puch e50 blue clutch spring adjustment

Marty White /

I'm reading 2 turns=720 degrees out from all the way in is max spring tension

25 lb

Blue springs aren’t much of an upgrade from stock. The super stiffy springs are the way to go, 2-3 turns in from flush.

Go to a sporting goods store and get a fish scale. You'll be happy you used lbs instead of turns

Screenshot_20201006-203521.png

Marty White /

What have i been hearing about having to use a brace with the super stiffys, can that be bought or do i make one ?

Marty White /

But a brace is needed for super stiffys-correct ?

Beach Club Nick /

> Marty White Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> But a brace is needed for super stiffys-correct ?

I didn't use one on my 2 shoe for a few months before the clutch material on the arms disintegrated from ripping dicks. I then put a new clutch on and braced it, but then the same thing happened again. This was with the old school atomic springs which I think are one of if not the stiffest springs. So you could bend posts or you could just destroy your friction material.

Fake Fake Moped Army /

Probably need info on the rest of your setup and goals, but I would max 'em out because blue springs are pretty tame.

720 deg out from all the way in. Worked fine for me.

Ive been running stiffy springs 2.5 turns in on a Polini set ups for a few years/many miles with no brace. My shoes are still nice cause I use full synthetic motor oil.

Michael Hartgers /

Kick start springs @ flush will get you. "Million miles of fun". no brace.

Probably Fred /

> Sir Clip Wrote:

> Ive been running stiffy springs 2.5 turns in on a Polini set ups for a

> few years/many miles with no brace. My shoes are still nice cause I use

> full synthetic motor oil.

Yep 2-3 turns in with synthetic motor oil and exhaust pipe that has a good rpm range not a junky super high rpm racing only engine breaking pipe is the best set up for long life,

514g1eMtUVL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

EH 📣FCC of the QCB /

> Sir Clip Wrote:

> Blue springs aren’t much of an upgrade from stock. The super stiffy

> springs are the way to go, 2-3 turns in from flush.

If you have a fish scale 25lbs is ideal.

But, 100%. Blue always leaves you wanting more and if you turn them in too far your more prone to break or bend the post. Get the Black ones and do two turns in. If not enough go a little more. If too much slip go to 1 or flush. I would never buy blue springs again. Easy tip to tune a e50 clutch is lay the bike on sits side so the oil does not come out and you can remove the clutch without having to swap the oil. 5 min spring adjustment.

Getting in on this old ass post. So wiki says 15lbs. I keep reading 25lbs though. I don’t race. I don’t do wheelies. I’m a 36 year old fat dude that likes mopeds. 15lbs sounds sound like longer life. Or it just not enough?

EH 📣FCC of the QCB /

Honestly the less spring tension the longer life and less ware on the pads and less prone to breaking a post.

However the 25lb rage is always the forever said sweet spot.

If it is a bike for a Friend and they want blue springs I always do two turns from flush and send them off and they are happy.

Try it if you don’t like it…add a little spring tension….then try it again.

If ya fat like me get the beefier springs and add that tension. Just get a brace for the clutch and it will help minimize post bending. Dos cycles offers some really nice lightened clutch arms for the e50. Check them out.

We set 2 of our bikes at 19lbs with the dos blue springs on 2 shoe clutches and they shift at the perfect time.. Stays in the power band. Both bikes have circuit pipes and 50tccd..

roots to wings /

I think it depends on how much power you are making. On a mild kit i've taken the advice here of not bracing and keeping an eye on it. I followed Roffman's recommendation using extra stiff kickstart springs on my airsal 44mm e50 2 shoe and ended up going to 3 full turns which is actually over 40lbs on the fish scale. and run synthetic 0-20w. All geared up I'm riding at 200lbs or so. Takeoff good enough for city lights, but once I hit the midrange, the bike takes off like a jet. 0-40 in less than 2 tenths of a mile i'd say. cranks pipe can gets there even quicker. marginally slower off the line over the estoril, but the mid comes on harder, but we already had that conversation. there is so much that goes into tuning and performance even in my neophyte understanding of it. it's not just the springs. i mean even fresh tranny fluid makes a difference for a few rips.

EH 📣FCC of the QCB /

> Fake Fake Moped Army wrote:

> Probably need info on the rest of your setup and goals, but I would max

> 'em out because blue springs are pretty tame.

>

> 720 deg out from all the way in. Worked fine for me.

Everyone is piping off but the dude might be rocking a stock kit…..unless he responded to this and I did not see it.

Any kit 70+ I recommend DOS springs flush to 2 turn max unbraced. At two turns it will eventually break the post. But who know 1 year…. 6 years? Flush on the DOS springs is lots of longevity and way more fun the the treats blues 3 turns in from flush.

roots to wings /

I’ve gotta try some of those dos blue springs

EH 📣FCC of the QCB /

Ya man. Treats black springs rock but these are a touch better. Reminds me of the Orange Paz springs. But I would maybe even rate the DOS ones a touch better. Only because I have one left and can’t really compare with one.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?2,3242392,page=1

Damn 10 years already….. (edited)

roots to wings /

Still waiting for the definitive clutch and spring guide for dummies. I mean if I had the absolute best 2 shoe pad, spring, and tension combination for my mild setup, how much better would it be than kickstarts on original pads? Almost seems easier to feel the difference Doring’s make in a stock bike than a kitted one.

i’ll say it again, the GPS speedos that spit out actual acceleration charts take away the whole “how does this feel?” aspect of tuning.

the device literally tells you how it feels. it’s a great way to make all those hours of clutch tuning and carb tuning feel validated on a shareable level, especially because it shows you altitude change as well

D62D4A86-522E-453C-BBC7-A297747B8A9A.png

https://m.tomtop.com/p-y11174.html

> roots to wings wrote:

> Still waiting for the definitive clutch and spring guide for dummies. I

> mean if I had the absolute best 2 shoe pad, spring, and tension

> combination for my mild setup, how much better would it be than

> kickstarts on original pads? Almost seems easier to feel the difference

> Doring’s make in a stock bike than a kitted one.

after 11 years of setting clutch springs and messing with e50s, the easiest way to get even engagement is to setup a clutch like a jammer. there’s not adjustment between shoes; just putting 3 springs on, taking it for a ride and saying “damn that’s smooth”

if you have a 2 shoe, you can use the bench vise method of setting spring tension, which maybe i’ll cover soon once i get those 2 shoe braces in from Dos.

seriously tho, there is no definitive guide for perfection, there is only building the machine from the e50 clutch wiki with the strobe light.

That clutch machine in the wiki is baller. I wish I knew someone that had that!

roots to wings /

Hey Adam. I can't tell from the acceleration chart how long it actually takes to get to 40 as the scale of the x axis looks to be in minutes, but i'd trust that whatever clutch set up you use would work better than what i'm doing. i would like to make the most use of the 2 shoes i have and maybe jam it up some day with 3. seems like those 2 shoes on the other thread might be the thing to try.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account