H2o bros, what's everyone doing for radiators

I'm hoping to access the power of the hive mind a lil' bit. I'm trying to figure out a good radiator option for mopeds that is somewhat universal. I'd like to find something that is fairly inexpensive, good quality, and easy to find.

The mbk magnum style radiators are super nifty, they are a good size for moby (maybe not so much for bikes that have less room to the front wheel) they have good fittings in the right places, they come with a cap. The problem is they have gotten scarce, the knockoffs are super low quality, and the 'good ones' you gotta find used or the malossi one thats like 200 bucks.

My next candidate is the YZ85 radiator YZ85 RADIATOR ON EBAY

This thing is dirty cheap, looks like its pretty sturdy, it has a good side mounting flange that i think would be pretty adaptable to different mopeds... anyone using these? Something like it?

Does anybody else have any thoughts? I've used whatever random 20$ junkyard dirtbike radiator in the past... one half of a 125 radiator, whatever, i got a bunch of them laying around, but i'm trying to do some next level shit here and I would like to find something that other people can easily replicate and wont go out of stock.

Re: H2o bros, what's everyone doing for radiators

Use Honda 150 and 250 elite and helix.

Great radiators not too big

I have a 96 yz80 rad on my chopper. I used a 98 cr80 rad on my kinetic.

C9935B4A-6849-4A9B-AB3D-E0E6BB3412C3.jpeg
D9C2F995-EBC4-4D07-9BEE-28CEC9CD4D90.jpeg

joe, how do you like the mechanical water pumps? do they ever run too cool without a thermostat?

I like the dirtybike radiators because of the one-side mounting thing, both of those are sweet. I'll have to check out the scooter radiators, i'm not seeing any of those available as a cheap knockoff but perhaps something in the asia market has something similar that is available repop.

I dig how small the metropolitan/ruckus radiator is. There someone with a hobbit build on the Facebook page running one.

5C56D29A-431B-4050-815E-048C4B0975FF.jpeg

I wanna say I haven’t seen more than 250 degrees plug temp on the kinetic, but it’s been a while since I had the wc setup on that bike. I haven’t run a temp gauge on the chopper it’s a little rich at low rpms (I still need to do some more carb tuning). But I can hold wot for as long as I want with no issues. (edited)

I use those xk80 radiators all the time

they have multiple mounting points, can be had pretty cheap second hand, and most importantly they have an overflow vulvae

if you arent running a pump, which for riding outside of the track, I find unnecessary, you need that overflow for thermo to work. fluids getting a bit hot? whatever it will flow into my overflow bottle, cool down and get sucked right back into my system.

I also favor liquid cooled heads over full jacket kits, yes the full jacket lc cylinder will likely run cooler, but LC heads let you run whatever kit you want, and again I find pumps cumbersome and unnecessary on these set ups

you can see a bunch of my radiator set ups in the video below, sound kinda sucks, im working on that

Thanks for posting Andy, if you can't tell my little project over here is coming together. I'll check in with you soon because I got some more questions.

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks for posting Andy, if you can't tell my little project over here

> is coming together. I'll check in with you soon because I got some more

> questions.

But Graham where is the build thread with the project!

The old ktm 50 radiators are great. Early 2000's were single horizontal radiators. Pretty good size and reasonably priced.

Also, there were new Piaggio scooter radiators on eBay for pretty cheap from a seller in Israel.

Ninja 250 radiators aren't too huge and I fit one on a Mbk 51.

There's also the Aprilia rs 50 or cbr 125 if you want to spend a little more and get a nice new one.

Cool, yeah depending on the bike, it looks like some are a nice fit with a long skinny guy off the side but the more square ones like the stock MBK tuck in better on more bikes.

Those cobra 50 radiators are nice, for sure, even the stock mounting brackets look like a good fit

I'm running the long/skinny dirtbike type radiator paired with a generic electric water pump. The flow from the pump is amazing, and my temps on my peugeot speedfight flat reed stay right at 180º. I like the electric pump, but it does add the need for a battery/reg/rec/cdi which can sometimes be frustrating depending on how much frame space you have available and how much money you're willing to spend.

https://www.ebay.com/i/274015603108?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=274015603108&targetid=935431406093&device=m&mktype=pla&googleloc=9002499&poi=&campaignid=10454522129&mkgroupid=104612011420&rlsatarget=pla-935431406093&abcId=2146002&merchantid=101711938&gclid=CjwKCAjw2dD7BRASEiwAWCtCb1flt0XiTg_IeG2eaI7ZmKw6Ss2fe8Tg_fbyLZnlYUTuX06r-qAdzBoCIiQQAvD_BwE

Im running this on my bat. It may not fit the cheap criteria and it shipped from China, but the quality seems good . Plus the hose locations were placed good for where I wanted to mount it. I was considering the offset dirtbike style but this one tucked right under the tank nicely

Wow, I haven't seen that one, but that's great. Size and mount points really similar to the MBK but maybe even better hose locations.

Another vote from me on the KTM50 radiator. I have had good luck with them.

16016165894172054644047002787486.jpg

Found this on ebay. I can get the exact description if ya want. Yes it's kind of small but it works. Temps below 250. 12 v DC bosch aux water pump. Malossi hobbit water cooler kit. No case mods needed.

Ive been digging trying to find the demotions of a few of these and nothing reliable is coming up. Does anyone with the KTM50, KX80 or a YZ85 radiator know the size of the thing?

Here’s a 96 cr80 it’s 12.5”x4” my other 80cc dirtbike rads are roughly the same size. The mounting tabs are different between models as well as the dia and directions of the coolant hose tubes.

5DB88314-B181-4E9E-AFB8-978BFB2412BA.jpeg
869AF74F-3810-42F6-8053-2C3C3E74056F.jpeg

16018651199595243845906815189643.jpg
16018650740945100783996197261948.jpg

Both are available for sale. Simply what I paid for each plus shipping. The black one is the amazing one. It requires a jbot front of fork mount I would think.. it's gonna keep anything cool..ebay from china. Somewhere around $70 or so. I'd have to look it up.. the right one was my original side mount which works great but esthetically ...nah. ..unless you are mega talented. Pm me if anyone wants them.

Ungapped rings to bind them all /

MLM was outa their little compact radiator so I built my own.

Keeps the Malossi kit in the 250-270 range.

3rd liquid cooled bike. No pump.

IMG_7905.JPG
RZSE6239.JPG

Dirty30 Dillon /

Wow, that is whack.

> Ungapped rings to bind them all Wrote:

> MLM was outa their little compact radiator so I built my own.

>

> Keeps the Malossi kit in the 250-270 range.

>

> 3rd liquid cooled bike. No pump.

> >

You sure you have enough fuel reserve ? ;)

> Ungapped rings to bind them all Wrote:

> MLM was outa their little compact radiator so I built my own.

>

> Keeps the Malossi kit in the 250-270 range.

>

> 3rd liquid cooled bike. No pump.

> >

haters gonna hate, that is pretty creative!

DIY rad is cool

Big fan of the aluminum tank on the back.

What exactly is the red plastic gas tank mounted on the side below the aluminum tank . Is there one on each side ?

Ungapped rings to bind them all /

There's a canvas pannier for tools n crap on the other side. I'll put a few more pics up later. Got the roto-pax gas can at 77 Moped a few years back.

https://rotopax.com/rotopax/rotopax/ (edited)

I love everything about this except for the pull start.

Yeah that's super cool Steve!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account