Re: Av10 Build Thread: Disco squid

Tell me about the storage area like the chunks of wood.

Sam Lloyd /

I got pretty close. A bunch of stuff went on relatively easily. But I couldn’t get it to fire. I didn’t lose the plot but just the passion for the novel. So I put it on moth balls for about two months and we figure it out recently. Basically my timing was shit and I fried a cdi box trying to get it sorted. Néw box is in the mail and I’m hoping to get it going soon. My work really ramps up in the summer so finding time to work on it is few abs far between.

FA9D7606-596E-4374-8547-B67D80F56729.jpeg

Sam Lloyd /

Tired some stuff. The stator was bad. Treats came threw big and sent a new one. I hope to get it on soon and get the bike to start. Looking like it’s going to be a winter project again.

First Name Last Name /

Any updates on this bad boy?

Sam Lloyd /

BIG DAY.

Not sure where to start. Got the majority of the build done months ago, then struggled with a spark for a long time. It was a bad CDI. Treats was great and sent a new part which I got on like a month ago. I've timed it about 5 times and currently have it at 1.5mm before TDC. Today we got it to fire. After a little fiddle fucking got a decent idle and let it do one heat cycle without coolant. I have a small list of things to do before i can ride. Like coolant, kill switch, air box, and rear brake.

IMG_0989.jpeg

Nice work! This is a cool thread.

Sam Lloyd /

Thanks man. I would have made it more in-depth but there comes a point where you feel like you are yelling into a void.

Lots of people read but the lesser known brands don't get as much chatter on the threads... Try posting what I should set my timing at on my puch and it goes 100 posts... Trust me no comments is probably a good thing.

Looks cool congrats on the start up. Take it easy on break in.

Sam Lloyd /

Starting to get more details done so I can tune and break in properly. Things are less methodic than they were. I'm really excited to ride the bike so for now, some things are just going to be good enough until I can clean them up. One of those things is the airbox piping.

IMG_1012.jpeg

I have had issues with the exhaust ripping out of the kit. I'm trying seizing wire for now but don't have a lot of faith.

IMG_1016.jpeg

Finally, what's really kicking my ass is the cold side of the coolant. I'm trying to get the bottom of the rad to the kit. So far no clean answers are jumping out at me.

IMG_1015.jpeg

Sam Lloyd /

Googled for like two hours and found what I needed. I'll let ya know tomorrow if it works.

Instead of the wire , consider removing the collar the springs are hooked into and then hook the springs into where you have the wire going through .

Sam Lloyd /

I thought about that. I can't tell which is going to hold better. The collar is jb welded on. Before I smoked my Parmakit I jb welded the exhaust in. That's why when she finally went the last time she took everything with her. With a wire wheel, I was able to salvage the threads and the joint. The collar seems still firm on there. I know it is not a permanent solution but was thinking it would be worth trying while everything is set up. If the springs vibrate threw the collar or I lose the gasket I'm going to put the springs to the jug. I am also a little worried that the springs will eat threw the kit.

You could always drop a bolt or screw through the kit holes and have the springs fastened around the bolt/screw . No wear on the aluminum . ;)

Sam Lloyd /

Fuckin sick. Thanks. I'll put that on the list. (Also I'm being serious. That's a dope idea.)

Always more than one way around a bush . ;)

Sam Lloyd /
2F783DDE-76D5-46B8-8FE7-7A2B6469BB57.jpeg

> Sam Lloyd wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

>

I use 90 elbows on my LC set ups all the time, I have never had an issue with cooling, and I run thermo

yea my LC are like a lego set of 90s. it works. this looks sweet. Id probably go 90 straight back and 90 in instead of the 90 then 180 loop. but doesnt really matter.

dont get it together and get so excited you forget about the pivot bolt's nut

Another idea for weird bends is getting cheap 125cc dirt bike (cr125,kx125,ect) silicone formed radiator hose kits available on eBay and Amazon ~25$. They come in every color and usually include hose clamps. These pre bent hoses in conjunction with the 90° fittings already mentioned above can make things clean, cheap, n' easy for ya.

Screenshot_20220328-193907.png

Oh wow that's awesome, I had no idea those were so cheap, just buying the bends by themselves is like 15$ per hose!

Yeah I used some cr125 kits for my H2O Hobbit. Only issue I have had is that they bleach out in the sun pretty quickly.

I'll attach a pic to show how the bends can work out.

Excited to see your project ripping!, I just live vicariously through others when it comes to Moby/pug stuff haha.

PXL_20220329_042114230.jpg
PXL_20220329_042135674.jpg

IMG_20210123_125729.jpg

I use to tried same airbox but even with gilardoni kit there were not enough air. I could run much smaller jet but in expense of power so I throw it away.

Sam Lloyd /

I set up the 90s but it looked janky. In my experience simple tends to work better. I was also worried about vitiating. The 90s didn't seem like they would have enough movement to allow the engine to swing. if I knew about those moto kits sooner I would have done that for sure. on other projects I've worked on the cold side of the rad is a good indicator of how much cooling is happening or if you have a smoked water pump. I've never but an LC set up and I've never seen anything that's thermosiphon. so I was hoping to have the cold side somewhere you can touch it will help. saying that out loud I feel like I'm going to get burnt.

Thomakawks bikes have always made my dick twitch. So I was hoping to build something slightly reminiscent of one of those. But I live in a small town in Maine, the airbox was for two reasons. One to keep the sounds down. The other being some reading I was doing. I was under the impression that you can get pressure waves in the intake like you can with the exhaust. Help with atomization and more power. If your right and she seems staved for air I'll pull it for sure. Also great eye. That's the exact same one.

I got the engine bolt on. It felt like a big step. I had been waiting till I think the engine was going to stay in for more than an hour. The hope being offering the nylon to the Moby gods once would be a decent offering. Also, i spent an afternoon blue lock tighting everything I could.

Sam Lloyd /

Got the coolant done. So i could sit at idle for a bit and not seize my shit. it was happy about 140-150. And running rich. I was in the basement so I couldn't sit there for too long but hopefully ill get her outside for some more break-in. got these pics of the coolant system. wondering if you guys think the coolant is too close to the exhaust. I was thinking about adding exhaust wrap in that spot but it seems a bit hardo. also starting it might be a bitch. the cardboard is running into the coolant line, and my impact doesn't have the nut to get it to go.

IMG_1185.jpeg
IMG_1186.jpeg

Sam Lloyd /

Got my first ride today. I've made a fucking monster. Faster than anything else I've ridden. To the point, I dumped it in the driveway coming in too hot. That being said when tunning the carb was acting strange. It's a PWK and was pissing fuel out of the vents. I'm wondering if anyone knows how to get the overflow to stop. Is it a surge problem? Is it a float bowl height issue? It's rubber mounted, should I add a stabilizing bracket? I'm really only familiar with PHGB's.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account