79 Magnum XK, Round intake port?

Howdy,

I recently picked up my dream bike, a 79 Magnum Xk with around 400 miles on it. Originally a PrettyBombers build I believe!

I'm gonna keep it pretty stock, but I wanted to put on a 15 bing to get a little more power out of it here at altitude (CO) - when I went to take the carb off I noticed it wasn't the stock carb, its a 1/14/157 with a round intake, and the cylinder seems to have been modded to also have a round port? (pictures attached) Any ideas what the deal is here? I assume I cant just put a rectangular 15bing intake one it... The bike has great low end but tops out around 27 and i'd like to get it to 30-35. Any suggestions on mods that will keep it fairly stock but help me with top end a bit?

Cheers!

IMG_2397.jpg
IMG_2537.jpg

Re: 79 Magnum XK, Round intake port?

Probably Fred /

Stock Magnum cylinders and maxi hi torque cylinders all have round port,

Use a stock puch round port 14mm intake

Nice! Good to know. It does have a 14mm intake. Any recs then for a little more tope end?

My experience with round port motors is bad, no matter what I did the manifold would not seal and it would bend even with light torque it would still bend (really cheap metal) so I dumped it for a square port.

Probably Fred /

> Ben S Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Nice! Good to know. It does have a 14mm intake. Any recs then for a

> little more tope end?

I made many posts about metal mesh 1/4-5/16 in hole in magnum chamber and end cap

9407B04A-DB8E-4C4B-9BF7-BE9F8D5C4983.jpeg
61E9E4F9-C604-434B-9A99-64026DE26E89.jpeg

Time around 18° Btdc Then Jet around 68-70 jet with 222 atomizer then tune the clutch with thick clutch springs and you will get this:

I also sand or mill puch heads flat and sometimes add a squish band, but on a piston that little it seems to make very little difference, Just flat works fine for more compression and power

FA0F5D52-41D4-49B0-B0C9-5057EDE6ADE1.jpeg

up shits creek /

dope fairing!

Bad Cadillac™ /

My round port Magnum with a 14mm Bing runs just fine. No leaks!

And follow Kens advice for more power and speed. (edited)

Michael Hartgers /

Nice!

i have the replacement clutch handle for it if you want it. OG buyer never came to get it.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account