MPG with a 65cc kit

What mpg are people getting with a 65cc Airsal and race pipe (I have a peugeot but Interested in figures for all peds)

Re: MPG with a 65cc kit

Tweaker trash /

Do the math! Empty your tank, fill it with a 1/4 gallon or whatever And use a gps on your phone to track the miles (edited)

Depends on how much throttle you use and what carb your running. I get around 50-60 mpg but I run a 19mm phbg and do a lot of blasting

Overpriced Parts /

> Thomas Peffer Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Depends on how much throttle you use and what carb your running. I get

> around 50-60 mpg but I run a 19mm phbg and do a lot of blasting

I bet it it’s a bit worse than you think with a 19mm carb

How accurate is the stock vdo Puch odometer? The speedo itself is surprisingly accurate all the way from 0-40 (I ran it against a police roadside speed radar sign and it was exactly dead on at all speeds)

Overpriced Parts /

> Thomas Peffer Wrote:

> How accurate is the stock vdo Puch odometer? The speedo itself is

> surprisingly accurate all the way from 0-40 (I ran it against a police

> roadside speed radar sign and it was exactly dead on at all speeds)

Depends on what size tire you have but they’re more accurate than every moped speedo that is not vdo, derbi and batavus brands is vdo and way more accurate than CEV other brands most times

If you want the best mpg you would have to study how the jawa mistral was ported. I believe they got 150 mpg and was still able to go 40-50 mph

Friend of mine had a jawa back in the 80s Brand New. We was teenagers then. I had a Vespa Grand did 25-28 mph. He took pipe off jawa it was loud as hell but we didn't Care time's were different obviously. We knew nothing about upgrades. But that jawa would leave the Vespa easily I think it did 40 + never stressed about gas then but it was 70 cent's a gallon.

I’m on a 65cc tomos and get around 45 miles per .6 gallons. Butttt I’m also on a 14:12 carb and intake.

Dirty30 Dillon /

My derbi gets like 50 miles per gallon, tops.

Thanks Garrett. That's what I was after similar kits and an idea of mpg.

I get around 80mpg on a 65cc metrakit, 19mm phbg clone. im usually doing 3/4 throttle around 40mph flat.

Most of my kitted bikes only get about 35 mi to a tank which most of mine are 0.9 gal.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> EH FCC of the QCB Wrote:

> Most of my kitted bikes only get about 35 mi to a tank which most of

> mine are 0.9 gal.

Yeah, the only exception are my 13.13 vespa, they like to sip

roots to wings /

i noticed poor gas mileage too, like 40-50mpg. i believe this is do to incorrect timing, and jetting at a minimum. i did not realize until folks here helped me understand that i cant get close to 17 degrees btdc without dremeling the stator plate which i have not done yet, so i need to run as rich as i can until i can do that and fix any air leaks, replace my seals, and tune my clutch...never ends.

Overpriced Parts /

> mike houlihan Wrote:

> i noticed poor gas mileage too, like 40-50mpg. i believe this is do to

> incorrect timing, and jetting at a minimum. i did not realize until

> folks here helped me understand that i cant get close to 17 degrees btdc

> without dremeling the stator plate which i have not done yet, so i need

> to run as rich as i can until i can do that and fix any air leaks,

> replace my seals, and tune my clutch...never ends.

Lower timing won’t help you get better gas mileage, you may get better mileage with higher timing, the problem with high timing is uncontrolled non-sustaining head temps not mpg

roots to wings /

i've looked at timing on two bikes now. the stock stators all seem to be retarded and can't get past 14 degrees without dremel. why is this?

What carb are you running? I had a similar setup....65cc airsal, 14mm bing, and an estoril. Would wind out to a tad over 50 and had really similar gas mileage to stock, i really loved that setup. I evenually switched over to a eurokit with a vm22 and get terrible gas milage.

Overpriced Parts /

> mike houlihan Wrote:

> i've looked at timing on two bikes now. the stock stators all seem to

> be retarded and can't get past 14 degrees without dremel. why is this?

Do you mean too advanced?

You don’t have to Dremel the Stator to get correct 14-17° btdc timing you could shrink the point gap to like 12-14 thou to get low timing before the screw hits the slot in the post

But E50s like 16-18 thou of a inch and Za50’s at least 17 thou for good kv and discharging of the capacitor

These are the only picture I could find but I may find another ones

F729F809-86CC-468E-9CFB-2366E4CA8CDE.jpeg

Removing the material is already done for a Za50 as you could see the screw head goes halfway underneath coil laminate but sometimes I remove material on both sides right off the bat so I could use the Stators for both engines,

Most times you can’t use both wave washers because part of the screw head cannot fit underneath and you may have to shorten the screw too,

I don’t even remove the Stator completely from the wiring block

I just push the wiring down enough so stator comes off the end of the crank, throw a towel over everything else to keep the metal shavings away, Dremel it, blow everything clean with air hose and then put it back in and pull the wires back up

roots to wings /

No, I mean retarded. My points begin to open well before 17 degrees btdc. I will regap them at tdc and check for the umpteenth time or make a video showing what I am doing. This is an e50. The stator plate is rotated as far to the left as possible. I am putting in the piston stop, rotating to the stop, marking the case and the flywheel, rotating flywheel until it stops going the other way and marking the case where the mark on the flywheel is, measuring half of the distance between the two case marks to get TDC, and marking my BTDC timing to the left of TDC as the points should begin to open Degrees BTDC, right?

French bikes with big pipes are always terrible on gas, you are dumping fuel to keep things cool, since the pipe is a supercharger, and the variator always keeps them running at high rpm. Even stock they are relatively crummy, but kitted it's so bad.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account