Polini UPDATE

Two months and several hundred miles later and I must say...this bike is SO much fun! E50, polini kit, 15mm Bing, MLM Cali pipe, 92 jet, needle on full rich, timing at 14 degrees, points at 16 thousandths, 18/42 gearing and wowzas!!! From 25mph on up it rips so hard. I pull past 50mph so easily and quick to get there. I let off at 52mph because I was coming up on traffic but it was still pulling hard even at that speed. Definately the best moped I've owned to date. A big shoutout to the Roffman for all his advice. Thank you for helping me turn my bike into a fun, mean blasting machine. I couldn't be happier. It's so much fun to ride

Re: Polini UPDATE

TERRY GORDON /

Wow, That Sounds Like A Fast Machine, Is There A {Polini} Kit Available To Make My Motobecane That Fast? Thanks, Terry

Thomas Peffer /

Not sure about Motobecane

Hell yeah! Have you played around with the clutch tuning? Might help that 0-25

Thomas Peffer /

Not as of yet but thats a possibility. And to correct my earlier post I maxed out at 50 mph after confirming with phone gps. But 50 on a moped is like flying. It really is fun going that fast on a bike that probably weighs 100 or so pounds. And I weigh 200 pounds and that bike still took my ass to a legit gps'd 50 mph

Probably Fred /

Man watch out for west side burbs cops when your doin 2x moped speeds !

Throw some thick springs in your clutch and have fast take off too.

Thomas Peffer /

Will do. I'm making a Treats shopping list and 2-shoe kickstart clutch springs for the e50 is on it. Thanks Ken!

Thomas Peffer /

The bike goes a solid 50 mph for sure as of now but I'm thinking I might as well go and order a 38 tooth rear sprocket from treats and go 55mph. The polini has the power to pull that gearing (18X38)

Hi, noob here. I could use some help too; lots of it. Mainly answers to questions and some advice.

Is there anyway to identify what Polini cylinder kit is on my General 5 Star? I bought it kitted out. It has a SHA 16:16 carb, a Minarelli V1 with 11T sprocket and a Polini cast iron cylinder and aluminum head, and an EV Racing Blaster exhaust.

Thomas Peffer /

Polini only makes one kit for the V1 so thats the one you have

Such a great Post!!!

Haha yeah, nobody ever posts these kinds of updates. Good to hear.

After having built just about every puch kit available, you just can't beat the polini. They run great, super reliable, and the new castings as of about a year ago don't require hardly any clean up.

I used to build other stuff like the tomos style reed kits because I was cheap, but now the time I save and the longevity of the polini wins every time. I am going to start changing the ring every 3k miles like Ken says, mine ate the ring last summer after 5 years and 5k+ miles... If I had changed it, it would still be running.

Probably Fred /

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Haha yeah, nobody ever posts these kinds of updates. Good to hear.

>

> After having built just about every puch kit available, you just can't

> beat the polini. They run great, super reliable, and the new castings as

> of about a year ago don't require hardly any clean up.

>

> I used to build other stuff like the tomos style reed kits because I

> I was cheap, but now the time I save and the longevity of the polini

> wins every time. I am going to start changing the ring every 3k miles

> like Ken says, mine ate the ring last summer after 5 years and 5k+

> miles... If I had changed it, it would still be running.

Not just the ring at 3K miles (Maybe more or less depending on the RPM you’re running) But put a new piston and ring maybe at 7-9k miles and you could keep the bore to maybe near 14-20 k mi though I sold many Polini kits after the ring then piston change instead of buying a new piston, I would sell them off relatively cheap and buy a new kit when on sale though I was kind of dumb because these people are still running the same kits I sold.

For a very short time I raced hare scramblers with Husqvarna Enduro bikes they would go through a piston and rings in one race so just think? you’re running a race kit on a bike/moped so even though it’s a moped, don’t be chintzy on changing the piston and ring,

I love just grabbing one of my several bikes I have that have stock puch Bosch ignition with no regulator no resistors no nothing but mechanical parts other than the Bosch condenser/capacitor, starting it up and going pretty much anywhere a car would go (within 15-20 miles away from the home of course) and Making it back is nothin,

If a neutron bomb went off all my bikes would still be running!

I rather have reliability in heat, rain and snow than three or 4 miles more TopSpeed and having to have a fancy electronic ignition with regulator, floating grounds, 12 V LED lights can’t run add cateye turn signals,

Man you’re talking $600 added to a bike with many hours rewiring it instead of using stock wearing harness for no gain except for 3-5 mph at the top end that could fail if Coils overheated not to mention wires hanging all over the place so when parked somewhere somebody/Vandalizer just grabs wires/cables and rip everything whereas having a stock looking bike with all the covers on leads to the reliability too,

The 6 wire stock puch ignitions lasted 40 years and after servicing ( and blueprinted) could last 40 more years!

Yes I wish they could be retarding ignition like tomos that are very reliable also but because setting timing close to 14° before top dead center since it’s static you lose a bit more low-end and To have the cooling effects of prolong top and speed with cool temperatures @9k rpm is max but it’s not a bad compromise considering it’s almost 40 to 50% More stock rpm and if you can go 50-60mph to me that’s good enough!

If they come up with a cheap water cooled cylinder, head, pump and radiator that hides pretty good you wont need any need of those fancy electronic race ignitions, Boxes, regulators, wiring, lights all other crap that fail due to lack of cooling!

Ehh, you still have piston temp to contend with, I have a couple H2O 2 strokes and they would be dead pretty quick without retarding ignition

Ken, i just finished up rebuilding my road dog rally beater, once I get it broke in, I'm switching over to a55 CDI, with the parmakit box. Stock tomos made in Slovenia quality, I'll post an update, I think you will like it. I wanted to get it broke in first because I'm going to be playing around with timing and advance curves and I find they are a little more forgiving after the first 50 miles or so. It's running 20 deg right now on points and I ragged the hell out of it, new pipe and I'm going to push it even harder. Maybe go down to 16/45!!

Probably Fred /

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> Ken, i just finished up rebuilding my road dog rally beater, once I get

> it broke in, I'm switching over to a55 CDI, with the parmakit box.

> Stock tomos made in Slovenia quality, I'll post an update, I think you

> will like it. I wanted to get it broke in first because I'm going to be

> playing around with timing and advance curves and I find they are a

> little more forgiving after the first 50 miles or so. It's running 20

> deg right now on points and I ragged the hell out of it, new pipe and

> I'm going to push it even harder. Maybe go down to 16/45!!

YA That’s the ticket! a Stock Tomos a55 is a Great ignition.

Way more reliable than those race ignition’s and you can keep a side cover on them and they won’t burn up,

My 06 revival with high compression stock milled Head, performance pipe and filter rarely hits 325° Even on the hottest days goin up hill and its 14 plus years old but the bike has never been in in bad weather though,

Revival does have battery but the bike has does have a regulator too and it does have a box which are electrical items probably would run without a battery though I never tried it.

a55 ignition would definitely be a great alternative to one of those race ignitions that you have to leave coils uncovered to have cooling and the curve of a ignition like a HPI is hard on the clutches and drive train You just need a nice straight line down to low degrees BTDC @ hi rpm

Something like on this curve from 5,500 to 9,500 but even more of a straight line down would be great on a puch

0CE0650A-BE05-46A9-A293-7CF0D963EB41.jpeg

As you can see at around 9k RPM timing is around 14° before top dead center so the ignition needs to retard to about 12° For cool running @ 9,500 rpm The problem is you can’t set static timing ignitions at 12° and have any power to hit that rpm unless you were launching downhill

My favorite Moped engine (most all my bikes) is the Za50 and it will stay together along time with stock internals (other then crank) If you keep it around 9-9.5k max, e50 also if you keep it around 9-9.5k max rpm it will stay together a long time using stock internals, gears, bearings, clutch etc, (again other than crank) but Needle bearing cranks should be put on all puch engines like the later models came with stock,

The crank is a puch weak link because most times not only do they have a brass bushing at the piston pin they have a bushing instead of needle bearings in the big end too and only tiny little grooves in big end for gas oil mix to get in the big end of crank,

I think Mopeds should be kept on a somewhat cheap budget for everyday use, something like like doing cheep performance upgrades you would do to your everyday use car to some more performance out of it without going full race

Building race engines is a complete different story though!

How much mpg you get with polini cylinders?

Probably Fred /

> Pavo Z Wrote:

> How much mpg you get with polini cylinders?

What people don’t realize is of course you’re going to get way worse mileage than stock cylinder on stock bike do, Many people complain how crappy the mpg is on a kitted bike!

Most kittted bikes get worse mpg because you’re goin almost twice the speed and blasting all the time but if you go about the same speed as a stock bike goes the mileage is pretty darn good (especially if you upgear like you should)

I’ve got around 60 mpg with a fast Za50 polini maxi, 19mm phbg and upgeared (Larger front sprocket, smaller rear) around18% just cruising and still faster than stock moped speeds like 35-40mph not just blasting 55-60mph (and that is with taking off way faster than a stock bike would)

if going 25-30 mph like a 2hp stock bike and taking off very slow I’d get near the same mpg as a stock 2hp maxi,

The 19mm phbg and rubberized true 4petal Polini setup seems to get better gas mileage (way more power too) than a 15 mm bing with stock reed setup if tuned correctly,

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> What people don’t realize is of course you’re going to get way worse

> mileage than stock cylinder on stock bike do, Many people complain how

> crappy the mpg is on a kitted bike!

How is this a surprise to anyone on Earth? You don't say a bigger cylinder, carb, and exhaust on a bike that goes faster and gets there quicker is going to use more gas????

Amazingly, the tune I was running last summer was pulling like 80 mpg.

The pipe is 100% of it, I was running like an 84? I think? In my phbg19 with a shitty boss pipe. Throw a big pipe on there and you gotta dump more fuel.

I also think the polini is just a really efficient cylinder. It's not wasting a bunch of fuel like a MK80 or something like that. I think the porting stock and the way it scavenges is just really really good, whether by accident or design, it's just a super well designed cylinder.

Probably Fred /

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> Amazingly, the tune I was running last summer was pulling like 80 mpg.

>

> The pipe is 100% of it, I was running like an 84? I think? In my phbg19

> with a shitty boss pipe. Throw a big pipe on there and you gotta dump

> more fuel.

>

> I also think the polini is just a really efficient cylinder. It's not

> wasting a bunch of fuel like a MK80 or something like that. I think the

> porting stock and the way it scavenges is just really really good,

> whether by accident or design, it's just a super well designed cylinder.

My mk80 small port modded fork chopper Maxi I sold around 2007, It had a modified dirtbike pipe, homemade intake made from a maxi header, went 58mph and got around 60 mpg,

It never seized even with around 19°timing and no gauge !

I loved that bike but I liked magnums 3xmore more so by by selling the bike I was able to buy two more magnums and got a a maxiLuxe in the deal also,

I never knew what happened to it, I sold it to a trucker about 40 years old at the time, wasn’t on the Internet so know nothing about nothing I hope he still enjoying it!

Jai for how fast is it. And what gears?

My maxi with an a35 Airsal and a55 CDI hits 55 easily, temps stay around 325 on long cruises. I'm building another 2 e50's with the same setup. I've never run a Puch Polini but the hobbit Polini's are subpar

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> Ken, i just finished up rebuilding my road dog rally beater, once I get

> it broke in, I'm switching over to a55 CDI, with the parmakit box.

> Stock tomos made in Slovenia quality, I'll post an update, I think you

> will like it. I wanted to get it broke in first because I'm going to be

> playing around with timing and advance curves and I find they are a

> little more forgiving after the first 50 miles or so. It's running 20

> deg right now on points and I ragged the hell out of it, new pipe and

> I'm going to push it even harder. Maybe go down to 16/45!!

I run stock A35 cdi's on all my za50's, I like the restriction as well, keep it just under 9k and that stock crank will run forever

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account