I need a dellorto sha guru!

I noticed a few days ago that my 14-12 slide didn't open alla the way. The cable pulled the slide all the way till it bottomed out and was still covering 1/3 of the throat ? So I made a few gaskets to see if I could get it 100% open. That was a no go as I would need about 4mm worth of gaskets. So i took it off went to the grinder and ground it down and smoothed it out little by little. Now it fully opens has better acceleration BUT now it pings at wide open? How do I correct it.

Re: I need a dellorto sha guru!

Dirty30 Dillon /

Lol, you don't need a guru.

What exactly did you grind down instead of just adjusting your cable and throttle?

Most likely you never tuned the bike for WOT, so now your lean, or even worst your "grinding" has created and an airleak.

Ľ̷̝̽͒i̶̛̼͑͠ȁ̸̧̛̽m̵̻̟̯̀̅ ̷͎̙̽̊F̶̲̺͑̓ F /

use the cable adjustment on the L-shape, the gaskets probably caused an airleak. use the idle screw to get the slide set right, then use the adjuster to tension the cable so you can get WOT.

Read the post again! I didn't use the gaskets. Just 1. It didnt have enough adjustment to open all the way. At full adjustment the slide was blocking about 4.5 mm of throat so instead of a 12mm it was like an 8mm. Maybe this was a way of limiting speed? Repeat there are no air leaks! I took about 3mm off the bottom of the slide. Now I can adjust idle with the screw which i wasnt able to do before, the screw did nothing until I ground the slide down. It picked up about 4mph but now it pings? Should I open the top hole in the atomizer?

pinging is probably pre detonation, upjet. Also, whats your idle is its open 3mm?

No slide is perfect now it's right where it should be. After grinding down the slide it actually allows the idle screw to work. Before that the idle screw could be screwed in all the way and it did nothing.

Here's a look

20200625_010501.jpg

im genuinely confused what you gound down and why. like it sounds kinda like your throttle was just not working right or something? I'm not a sha guru but i'm pretty confident you dont need to grind them, like ever.

Ok you can totally grind the slide bottom if you;re getting tricky with idle/tip-in tuning but for normal function you don't. kinda sounds like you took a sledgehammer to crack a nut and now you're wondering why the nut is smashed.

I don't think theres even such a thing as a sha guru, theres 6 screws holding the thing together, and 1 jet. If your pinging, upjet

Listen I'll say it again. The slide was so long that the idle screw never even touched the slide. Even screwed all the way down. It did absolutely nothing! At wide open the slide hit the top cover of the carburetor and still protruded into the throat blocking about 1/3 of the opening. There is no adjustment that can make extra room for the slide? Smh! Other then grinding it down. I wish I had taken a picture before hand.

Did you attach your throttle cable to the wrong side of the slide? Or somehow have the wrong throttle cable attached to the slide? There are some YouTube videos that show you how to rebuild and clean a dellorto. You should watch them. That is how I learned to rebuild mine.

i really can't see a scenario without having totally the wrong slide from not a SHA where this could happen if it was properly assembled. I'm also really unclear on what grinding you did

Soo, your throttle cable was too long or the throttle assy diddnt have enough rotation and you grinded the slide? Ok, well I guess you might be fine as long as you don't adjust the cables? Dunno, this might cause problems down the road. But whatever, you can get a new slide for a few bucks if you need to...

Your running lean at open throttle now. Pull the jet, read the size and buy a couple bigger sizes. I'd buy the next four sizes, start with the biggest and work down from there.

This is probably his clearest statement

Rob P Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Listen I'll say it again. The slide was so long that the idle screw

> never even touched the slide. Even screwed all the way down. It did

> absolutely nothing! At wide open the slide hit the top cover of the

> carburetor and still protruded into the throat blocking about 1/3 of the

> opening. There is no adjustment that can make extra room for the slide?

> Smh! Other then grinding it down. I wish I had taken a picture before

> hand.

One picture with two sha slides and some measurements would've cleared the confusion.

There are a quite few different slides, some thicker, some thinner, some wider, some narrower, shorter and taller, etc. What u probably got is a 16:16 slide in a regular. Before you seize, take the grinder to your main jet next to let more gas in.

Dirty30 Dillon /

IF your slide was that long, you were probably using a Vespa Sha slide, which may work? I've honestly never tried.

But yeah, every SHA I've ever owned had a proper size slide, and if you were to grind it down would leave it Xmm too short.

SO, you created your own problem it sounds like.

It's the original slide that came on it. It's a 80 motron minarelli v-1. Just spoke to the original owner and the carburetor is orig as is the slide. There was no adjustment left to adjust!!!!! The slide hit the cover and still covered almost half the intake opening! Again I say I took about 3mm off the bottom of the slide. You fuckers are trolling me right!LOL! If you dont understand dont post! Guaranteed someone is gonna say it's not adjusted right!

It doesn't ping at part throttle only wot. I read the wiki on sha. And Graham mornings stuff about the 2 holes in the atomizer. The lower feeds part throttle and the top feeds wot. I'm thinking this maybe it. If I was only getting part throttle before maybe its lean now at wot.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I have tuned dozens of SHA's, NEVER have I seen a slide that was "too long."

Guaranteed that your lack of adjustment was a separate or assembly issue.

I've seen 80's scooters that had a mechanical limit on the amount the butterfly valve could open in order to restrict them...

Then I saw this pic on Myron's and that #3 slide sure looks fishy to me...

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 3.24.13 PM.png

Every old piece of crap SHA I've had, the idle screw does nothing, but I've never had one with a big slide.

How is/was your cable running thru the top? Was it going through the spring and binding or on the outside of the spring?

Or was/is the nub on the end of the cable sticking out and catching in the slot?

Or does it even matter? If you made it work, don't worry about it. Fuck SHA carbs, anyway.

So when you pull on the cable housing where the cable goes into the top of the carb and can see the cable pull the slide only pulls up half way before it stops? Pull on the black housing where it goes into the carb where the adjuster screw is and snap a pic. Pull hard.

I think I see the problem in his "1" picture the choke arm is cock eyed instead of being in its slot, to get it to sit like that needs someone to force the top/screws on beyond moped tightness. try again.

good eye pat. the old choke clip not installed right on a SHA problem again

Pat for the win. Those choke release levers are tricky to get in right at first. Take apart enough of these bitches and you will get the hang of it. You have to tilt the top assembly toward the front of the carb as you are sliding the lever in or it will bind up on the choke itself when being inserted. Now buy a new slide.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> good eye pat. the old choke clip not installed right on a SHA problem

> again

Sorry I didn't get back to answer. I had another heart attack. Been in the hospital since 6/26. Pat I don't understand what you are saying. This is exactly how it came from motron.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Lol, "from Motron."

Like no one, in the bike's 35+ years of existence, has ever taken the carb off.

Pat called it, your choke lever is misplaced in the photo and that's why you couldn't open the slide.

Good news is you potentially have a cool new nickname, "half-slide"

Better lay off the mopeds. I know they give me heart palpitations. Stay healthy.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

7 stents and a by pass...

20 + years of mopeding...

I got my first ped when I was 30. Had the first heart attack @ 35...

I am pretty sure it was a coincidence.

You guys ain't getting it. The slide moves all the way up but it still protrudes or blocks some of the carb. When I get a chance I'll video it.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account