E50 case prep Q's

Heyo,

Prepping up an E50 case for my build and figured I'd drop some musings and Q's for you fine folk to mull over in the event you have some Top 10 Simple Tricks To Gain 48HP outta this thing.

The Deets:

- E50 (4 bearing) with a 70cc TCCD (piston port)

- Treats super stuffy crank

- Stock internal gears

- HPI CDI

- VM20

I've port matched the kit to the case, mostly with success. I dipped into the infamous thin stud wall a tiny bit but used JB weld to seal it well, and will apply black RTV to the studs when they're installed to eliminate the possibility of leaks.

Q's:

- Should I be smoothing or modifying anything in or on the case to better prep for efficiency or reliability? I'm looking at the bottom of the port transfers deep in the case and wondering if they should be smoothed down for better flow, for instance. (refer to pic attached)

- After reading practically every thread on the 'seal lip IN or OUT' dilemma, it's my understanding that we should install it in accordance to the factory manual of yore, against conventional wisdom. Is this still the case?

Musing:

Not sure if this is typical of E50 castings, but my god are they terribly finished. There is a ton of small 'balls' sticking up all over the surface that look like they're ready to come loose at any moment. Makes me wonder if some catastrophic failures out there could be attributed to that. I'm knocking them off/down with the Dremel as we speak.

Thanks y'all... I'll be back soon for more help and advice, I'm sure.

15903520335491849560067503802369.jpg

Re: E50 case prep Q's

Luke Stroehlein /

Could be bits of partially melted rust that came from the gas tank

That's just from the casting. You can clean it up if you want but that's only if your really bored.

Tweaker trash /

You need ๐Ÿฉธ from a ๐Ÿ‘, Just a few drops!

Also burn some saga around the workshop

> Barack Obama Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You need ๐Ÿฉธ from a ๐Ÿ‘, Just a few drops!

>

> Also burn some saga around the workshop

I can think of something else to burn

Tweaker trash /

> Jeff Parr Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Barack Obama Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > You need ๐Ÿฉธ from a ๐Ÿ‘, Just a few drops!

>

> >

>

> > Also burn some saga around the workshop

>

> I can think of something else to burn

Haha ๐Ÿšญ And light some fireworks ๐Ÿงจ off about 20 feet away from the workshop. This should keep Wild animals away like ๐ŸฆS

Thanks for the advice... will just clean up the case as best I can then.

I think I solved the question about whether I should remove and smooth the transfer deep in the case; I mocked the crank in place and determined that if I did that, then the flow would hit the sides of the crank lobes rather than pass and mingle above it. There doesn't seem to an advantage so I'll just leave them be.

« Go to Topics โ€” end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account