Crank for a vespa reed valve case half

Ľ̷̝̽͒i̶̛̼͑͠ȁ̸̧̛̽m̵̻̟̯̀̅ ̷͎̙̽̊F̶̲̺͑̓ F /

https://www.treatland.tv/vespa-pinasco-dual-carburetor-case-half-43mm-p/vespa-pinasco-dual-carb-43mm.htm Does this require a special crank? I know it links to one but would it run with a mazzulcheti antipatico crank?

Re: Crank for a vespa reed valve case half

Dirty30 Dillon /

If you are running that case half you need to have the crank with the hole through the pin. Otherwise you're only pulling mixture through the spinning bearing race.

Ľ̷̝̽͒i̶̛̼͑͠ȁ̸̧̛̽m̵̻̟̯̀̅ ̷͎̙̽̊F̶̲̺͑̓ F /

Dang then this isn't the case for me.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Sounds like you're looking for this.

You'll most likely have to do some subframe/frame mods to make it work either way.

Jason ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) /

Has anyone actually physically tried this with a regular vespa crank with no hole in it?

The description says "with the reed valve strangely blastin straight thru the case half bearing" and if you look a the reed opening it's extra wide .... so I think it may be designed so that fuel can make its way THROUGH the unsealed bearing, under the crank web and around the sides .... then into the combustion zone. I really want to try it lol.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I mean, maybe it works? Is it worth roasting your top end over? maybe.

But that bearing spinning is really not conducive to allowing flow push through.

I have been eyeing the pinasco case halves for awhile, but at that price point including the needed crank, you might as well just get the pinasco cases and get big ole reeds on that side.

Jason ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) /

I have too because now treats has them for 70 bucks lol. But you're right, if you have to purchase a nearly $300 fucking dollar special pinasco webbed crank with a hole in it then it's kind of moot.

Also, aren't these like kind of useless on stock cases that are restricted to 13mm max anyhow? Putting two carbs on is just kind of like putting one larger carb on .... and I thought with stock cases anything over 13 was a waste because you can't bore the intake anymore than 13mm? Or am I completely wrong in this logic.

Dirty30 Dillon /

The two 13's end up at like a 18/19mm carb flow-wise, so the benefit is that you now can get more a/f and flow out of it then you ever could with the stock intake, and ALOT more intake timing.

Man I have a hard enough time just getting a basic ass vespa build to run good sometimes, this dual carb shit is like Moped BDSM

Jason ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) /

Oh right, I'm stupid. It literally opens up the gates to more volume into your engine. Got it. I'm really tempted now and I am hoping someone chimes in that has used it with a stock crank and can say if it's even worth it. But for the crazy low price treats has them right now it may be worth it lol. I already have a moparts racing subframe that's cut out. Soooo tempting.

Jason ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) /

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Man I have a hard enough time just getting a basic ass vespa build to

> run good sometimes, this dual carb shit is like Moped BDSM

Vespas are like the easiest! The thought of learning how to build a puch scares me lol, I literally only know vespas and a little minarelli action.

I wonder if you could weld off your regular intake, run a full circle crank with no web, and use this "dual carb" case half as a big fat single carb one. It doesn't say though how big the fitting on the intake is... which would be a big limiter as to if this would be cool or not. It's bolt on though so you could always fine something huge. Seems like a fun project to me but I don't have a full circle crank lying around and don't wanaa buy one.

Dirty30 Dillon /

A full circle crank would.l basically give you no flow from the side inlet. And it's only a 13mm intake, maybe 15 if you wanted to make your own intake.

Honestly, for all the work, there so many better options

todd amundson /

While I have not tried what you’re talking about, I’m sure it would work with one carburetor sticking out the side, with any crank that’ll fit in the case. The charge will have enough time to flow through a full web crank or a cut crank. It’s not ideal but it should work really well. Here’s stock cases with the intake moved up top. The little stock nipple is closed. I use one oko 21 on the set up. It shoots right on top of the left crank lobe. Cranks full circle malossi

F0F0E79B-400E-4F90-B9E7-7FF5FE6B62BE.jpeg
61A68AA5-63A8-4099-8C33-549476C0D214.jpeg
1CE07FE7-4A62-406E-87A6-0F965337466F.jpeg

Ps, ignitions more important

Whoa, Todd what kit are you running with that thing?

todd amundson /

Kit is a new style DEPS by malossi. More work than any other kit to stock cases. One transfers almost 70% JB weld. Cranks 12mm pin.

671A7183-2D6F-43B0-ACD7-39F38E1BC034.jpeg

Jason ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) /

> todd amundson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> While I have not tried what you’re talking about, I’m sure it would work

> with one carburetor sticking out the side, with any crank that’ll fit in

> the case. The charge will have enough time to flow through a full web

> crank or a cut crank. It’s not ideal but it should work really well.

> Here’s stock cases with the intake moved up top. The little stock nipple

> is closed. I use one oko 21 on the set up. It shoots right on top of the

> left crank lobe. Cranks full circle malossi

>

> Ps, ignitions more important

This thing is so wild. Do you have any pics of the intake that you run with this? Is it custom or did you build the opening to work for a specific existing intake?

Speaking of ignitions, what are you running on that? What's the huge slot into the stator for?

Jason ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) /

So I ordered the small case half, I'm bent on trying this one way or another. I have no doubt I could drill a nice little hole in one of my stock cranks . . . . but the concern is then that I will be pushing way too much RPM for not having a needle bearing crank lol. Worth a try? Maybe. But probably not. Better just to do it right.

Although that pinasco crank that they link is like $300, mazzy also makes one that is only 145 ... but its out of stock (https://www.treatland.tv/mazzucchelli-vespa-12-pin-special-race-crank-p/mazz-vespa-crankshaft-amt204.htm).

If/when I can get that . . . I would be looking at only about $225 total, and an extra carb and filter I already have lying around. And a lot of jets for tuning. I think this is totally doable. And how fun would it be to tune the second carb to kick in later in the throttle pull!?!?!?!

todd amundson /

Maybe someday there will be a build page. Motorized bicycle manifold with DIO reeds. Nipple for fuel pump. You get the idea.

54D15B93-A445-40EC-A352-8B2816BDFFAB.jpeg
8AC46BF9-D773-48E3-B68A-95F7DF695BFC.jpeg

Todd that’s awesome, yes to a build thread.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account