Puch E50 w pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi

I know this has been asked and answered but I have looked many times and can’t find what I need.

I have a puch E50 with a pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi and a 0212124044 flywheel, The problem is I can’t get the timing right, I have slotted the stator plate as far as I can and I have rechecked the TDC and it’s still off by 17*(checked with a timing light) or so. With this set-up does the RPM’s have to be lowered to get the timing right or?

Any help would be a help. Thank You for looking.

Re: Puch E50 w pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi

Bump to keep at the top. I have the same deal but with a garelli. Need this answered.

Thanks fam!

Re: Puch E50 w pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi

Why not simply pitch the key , lap the flywheel to the crank and set it where you want ?

Re: Puch E50 w pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi

+1 for ^

I just did it recently because my flywheel slipped the key. Lapping is probably required for those flywheels and losing that key should be mandatory. I got the timing where I want it and filed a little alignment mark on the end of the shaft.

Also, I didn’t have (or want to buy) lapping compound. So I just rubbed a little Emory cloth against itself over a piece of paper. Mixed the grit with grease.

Re: Puch E50 w pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi

> Papa _ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

>

> Also, I didn’t have (or want to buy) lapping compound. So I just rubbed

> a little Emory cloth against itself over a piece of paper. Mixed the

> grit with grease.

Must have been pretty cheap emery cloth . LOL

Could have bought some proper compound for less than 4 bucks .

But , then you'd have to find a couple inches to keep the leftovers to be used in the years to come . ;)

Re: Puch E50 w pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi

Some of it was me being cheap. Mostly impatient. It was a Sunday and everything is closed.

It was Bosch 240 grit

Re: Puch E50 w pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi

Barack Obama /

Guys seriously!

Forgot about everything and focus on one thing & that is your firing mark!

Use a drill, sharpie & timing light!

Make a line on the case near the flywheel rim and Put a bunch of lines on the flywheel randomly and number them.Spin the flywheel with the drill While using the timing light, find a number that is close to The light flashIng , remove all Other the lines and numbers with alcohol. now put a bunch of lines Very close to the line You kept & number them. Using the drill and timing light and should find that one of these lines matches up perfect with your Case line! This is your firing mark, it will never change so take a nail & make a permanent line with the letter f on your flywheel.

now using a piston degree tool find 14 degrees, push the piston right up against the tool ( compression stroke) and install the flywheel with the case line and firing line matching up.

If you don’t have a degree tool you can actually just use the flywheel with paper measuring tape and a long plug.

You’ll have to spin the flywheel pretty fast with the drill with a cdi to get the timing light to kick on(edited)

Re: Puch E50 w pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi

Both this or the previous posts involve repositioning the flywheel to a place that is not keyed. Ok, but I guess I dont get the sand paper bit on the flywheel.... is this so that it stays in place better? And am I sanding the flywheel some place or adhering the paper to the flywheel? Is there any tutorials on this process?

Thanks for all the info!

> Barack Obama Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Guys seriously!

>

> Forgot about everything and focus on one thing & that is your firing

> mark!

>

> Use a drill, sharpie & timing light!

>

> Make a line on the case near the flywheel rim and Put a bunch of lines

> on the flywheel randomly and number them.Spin the flywheel with the

> drill While using the timing light, find a number that is close to The

> light flashIng , remove all Other the lines and numbers with alcohol.

> now put a bunch of lines Very close to the line You kept & number them.

> Using the drill and timing light and should find that one of these lines

> matches up perfect with your Case line! This is your firing mark, it

> will never change so take a nail & make a permanent line with the letter

> f on your flywheel.

>

> now using a piston degree tool find 14 degrees, push the piston right up

> against the tool ( compression stroke) and install the flywheel with

> the case line and firing line matching up.

>

> If you don’t have a degree tool you can actually just use the flywheel

> with paper measuring tape and a long plug.

>

> You’ll have to spin the flywheel pretty fast with the drill with a cdi

> to get the timing light to kick on

Re: Puch E50 w pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi

Barack Obama /

Re: Puch E50 w pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi

Smear lapping compound on the crank taper . Put the wheel in place and lap the two tapers together until each has full contact with the other . Done .

Re: Puch E50 w pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi

Barack is right.

I’m talking about some shade tree, Appalachian engineering type stuff.

It works well if you already know what you need to do.

Best to go by the book though.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Lapping_tapered_crankshaft_and_flywheel_surfaces_for_good_no_slip_bond

Sorry if I muddied the waters for the OP.

Re: Puch E50 w pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi

Papa. No problem, any and all helps.

Re: Puch E50 w pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi

I'm headed to auto zone for some 0w oil for my puch tranny anyway so I'll grab some of that lapping compound while I'm there! Thanks for the links to the wiki. Shoot I also need a timing light. And some wiki knowledge.

Unfortunately there is no way to accurately set the timing on my puch bike due to the way the stator plate is attached to the cover and the flywheel is flipped. But I am using the stock ignition setup for it so only minor adjustments would be needed since it is all set up to work together already. My garelli is the one getting Frankenstein's ignition.

Re: Puch E50 w pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi

I started looking at the stater plate for the puch CDI and it is different and I be able to hack it some, I will post back when it comes in.

Re: Puch E50 w pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi

What I have found. You have slot the hell out of adjustment slots

NEW-puch-NUDE-stator-plate-2T.jpg

only slot the ones marked yes, the marked no is of no use and no bolt will be in it. slot in the direction marked. be sure to set the RPM to the manual spec and you will be good. I have the timing set at 17* checked a timing light and I still have the woodruff key in place.

Re: Puch E50 w pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi

Sounds like more work than lapping ...

Re: Puch E50 w pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Sounds like more work than lapping ...

30 minutes is too much? And no chance of the flywheel slipping.(edited)

Re: Puch E50 w pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi

Barack Obama /

> Jeff Parr Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> What I have found. You have slot the hell out of adjustment slots

>

> only slot the ones marked yes, the marked no is of no use and no bolt

> will be in it. slot in the direction marked. be sure to set the RPM to

> the manual spec and you will be good. I have the timing set at 17*

> checked a timing light and I still have the woodruff key in place.

Woodroof keys and sloting your strator is totally last year. Ditch the key find the firing mark, leave your strator alone & Mount it with the slots in the middle position so you can add or take timing out. No butchering and you have all the slotting the play with.

That’s how hpi basically made their ignition, you think the Cheaper cdi Kits would atleast come with a firing mark on the strator and magneto ( maybe they thought if a different cdi was substituted in the kit it would mess every up)

I can mount a cdi upside down its just understand ignition timing to Piston position...simple really(edited)

Re: Puch E50 w pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi

Personally I dig the workaround. I prefer woodruff

Re: Puch E50 w pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi

> Jeff Parr Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > P D Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Sounds like more work than lapping ...

>

> 30 minutes is too much? And no chance of the flywheel slipping.

Hmm , how does a key-way get so far out of shape that a definite change in timing can be felt ? That is a common occurrence .

And , from all the guys that have done a proper lapping and torque , I've not seen a single instance where the flywheel slipped .

Re: Puch E50 w pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi

Also the 3055 is directional, lettering out for za, letters- in for e50, if my memory serves me right.

Re: Puch E50 w pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi

Kevin Bishop /

Did you slot it both ways or only one direction? It has been a while but I remember having to do it more than once to get it to work. Plus I had both boxes the 13 and 41 and only one worked well. Can’t remember which.

Re: Puch E50 w pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi

Kevin Bishop /

And get the KTM50 for the Garelli. You gotta figure out lights though.

Re: Puch E50 w pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi

Kevin. just one way.

Re: Puch E50 w pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi

Kevin Bishop /

I will snap a pic when I am at my shop later.

Re: Puch E50 w pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi

Kevin Bishop /

3213e coil and 2041 cdi

39C5BB88-4140-48B7-A030-556D5DF576D6.jpeg

Re: Puch E50 w pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi

yeah i think you need letters in, i think i can see the white letters on the pietcard facing out

Re: Puch E50 w pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi

Kevin Bishop /

Letters out e50

Letters in Za50

This bike runs fine

I was getting a shot of stator setting for OP

Re: Puch E50 w pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi

Yes Letters out e50 and you need the right flywheel. you seem to have it.

Re: Puch E50 w pietcard 3055 and 2041 cdi

I ran it letters out on ZA50, and that's what the treats comments say as well. Seems like there's lots of options with these

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account