DO NOT USE JW Clutch Worx for Reline!!

Long story short- I paid for a service I have yet to get a reliable product out of. Their response time varies anywhere from a few minutes to over 20 days. They "sort of" stand behind their product, but I'm questioning whether they really care in the long run as long as they get your money.

First set of pads came detached after a few runs.

Sent in for reline again, second set of pads detached in a single run. Gouged the clutch bell.

I have been without a reliable clutch/bike since July last year.

The only person that seems to communicate from this company is "Jim Anderson". Maybe its just him running the whole thing?

The last communication we had, he said said they would send out a set of cast shoes instead- since the laminate ones were supposedly an issue (why would you offer a service on the laminate ones, then?). I gave him the measurements as he asked to be sure it was correct. Its been 21 days and I haven't heard back from him after multiple attempts to reach out.

Here is the full timeline from the initial reline, to them fixing it, to it failing again, to where we are now:

------------------------------------------------------

INITIAL TRANSACTION

Site says cost for reline is 57.99 - return shipping included

July 27th, 2019

Paypal charged:

57.99 for service

8.00 for shipping - this shouldn’t be charged

July 29th, 2019

I emailed Jim asking if he needed the whole clutch assembly or just the shoes. I also asked about the shipping charge from paypal

(since shipping return shipping is supposed to be included in the cost)

Jim responded only about the shipping, saying they would refund the amount

July 31st, 2019

I got the shipping label printed and shipped the package out (with just the shoes, since he didnt designate what he needed)

USPS COSTS

$8.20 for shipping

Still no refund from the extra shipping charge.

August 5th, 2019

Shoes were delivered to JW Parts

I did not get any response from Jim about receiving the item.

August 15th, 2019

I email Jim how long they take to be serviced, and I had not received the refund for the initial shipping cost yet.

August 20th, 2019

It has now been 15 days and I have not heard from anyone. The website states the return time is within 5 days of receipt.

I email again asking whats going on.

Still have not received the refund for initial shipping charges.

August 20th, 2019

Jim finally responds after 23 days of not hearing from him.

"Jeff I apologize. Our messages must not have gotten through. We didn't receive your hub, that the shoes mount to"

They haven't touched the shoes yet, and supposedly they sent messages that never made it through. (keep in mind they never responded to my other messages, only to the most recent one on the 20th)

Turns out they DO need the entire assembly, not just the shoes. I was obviously not happy at this point, since I asked for clarification on this before sending them out.

Jim offered to send $30 refund "for the trouble"

Finally refunded the shipping charges.

August 20th, 2019

USPS COSTS

$11.20 paid for shipping to send the rest of the clutch out

August 24th, 2019

Rest of clutch delivered to JW Parts

I did not get any response from Jim about receiving the item.

September 2nd, 2019

Email Jim asking for an update, no response

September 4th, 2019

Email Jim asking for an update. Suddenly He says I should have them back by Friday or Saturday morning (6th or 7th)

September 8th, 2019

Haven't received the part. Asked for a tracking number

Jim responds:

“Jeff,

I understand this has been a huge pain in the ass for you. We will refund the remaining balance you paid. Plus your shipping charges.

Providing everything at no cost to you. The tracking number is 940550369xxxxxxxxxx”

Cannot find info on when the clutch was finally received. It was well over a month at this point. (Remember on their site, they said 5 day turnaround max)

No refund was given for the remaining balance as Jim stated above.

January 26th, 2020

After running bike for about 6-8 runs. Clutch pads came detached. Emailed Jim about issue

Get response in 4 minutes (fast!)

He said to go ahead and send it to them, but I would have to pay for shipping

Was Involved in a car accident, so I delayed in getting the unit shipped out , was delivered on March 12th 2020

March 23, 2020

Jim emails asking to confirm my address. shipped unit out same day

10 days from receiving unit to shipping it back, remember their website says 5 day turnaround. This is the best turnaround I have gotten from them so far.

April 9th, 2020

Pads came loose again, after 1 run. Gouged clutch bell

Emailed Jim about issue

April 10th, 2020

Jim responds saying they will send out a different set of shoes due to the laminate ones being an issue. asks for measurements of the current ones to be sure the new ones match

April 17th, 2020

I took some time thinking if I want to continue working with these guys. The shoes I have paid to reline will now be sitting un-usable

Decided to give it a shot, Emailed Jim with the measurements of what he asked.

April 25th, 2020

Still no response from Jim. I email to ask whats going on

May 2nd, 2020

Still no response from Jim. I email him again asking for any updates

May 8th, 2020

Its now been 20 days since I sent the measurements. Sent another email asking if they are still open for business.

There has still been no refund given for the initial failed clutch service. There has been nothing offered to make up for the damaged clutch bell.

Extremely disappointing service and poor quality product. Do not work with these guys, unless you plan for your bike to be down ~6 months or more with lots of frustration in the middle. (edited)

Re: DO NOT USE JW Clutch Worx for Reline!!

What's your setup like? Must be a ripper if you're tearing clutches like that.

you takin a beatin, whats wrong with stock shoes?

What kind of clutch are you talking about?

> Derek Stahl Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> What kind of clutch are you talking about?

He's talking about this service through Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tomos-clutch-relining-A3-A35-A55-service-w-kevlar-FAST-TURN-AROUND-1st-2nd/182023265639?hash=item2a616e9d67:g:Vl8AAOSwX~dWlEsf

So this is for a Jammer (Hammer) clutch for an E50.

Current setup is:

Polini 64 kit

Ported case

bing 15mm carb - mlm "velocity" filter

Treats pipe

HPI 2ten CDI

Lightened bell

Gearing I think is 16x40 at the moment

Bernardi mags with Hutchinson GP1s (def. heavier than spokes)

The original Hammer was the best clutch I've used. Unfortunately those shoes got destroyed due to the springs breaking and shoes bouncing around (before we figured out the holes needed chamfered).

With the new shoes, I was set a for an extremely mild slip, just enough to get the bike going. They came detached at the glue/adhesive point where the shoes meet the metal. So that tells me something isn't correct in their bonding process. The material they use seems great in itself, and quality-wise everything looks nice when you get the clutch back. Jim said it had something to do with the 3-piece laminate shoes, but my original hammer pads never came detached, and those were 3-piece laminate shoes!

Stock clutch shoes go bye-bye in a single run. At least the several I have tried. And that is with just enough slip to allow takeoff, this isnt a high RPM slipper by any means. KTM clutches are nice but apparently the china knockoff hubs are pretty much useless (which is all ive tried so far lol). Since every one ive had has cracked. And the clutch bell is trashed now because of that lol. So going that route again would cost a chunk of change. Might need to consider that now, though.

EDIT. thanks to LazyPedaler for linking their ebay store, didnt know they had that! Here is their direct website as well: https://www.jwpartsplus.com/jw-clutch-worx.html (edited)

Bump for awareness

Should this be put in the repair forum instead?

Overpriced Parts /

Yep if you don’t use Stock asbestos lined 2 or 3 shoe stock clutches you’re stupid!

Asbestos Lined work with synthetic 0w20-5w30 motor oil, relined Kevlar don’t work for sht ,

Interesting. Trickmetric's original kevlar lining worked great. Best clutch pads I've ever used. Guess I'm stupid LOL thanks for your opinion! (edited)

some huckster in his garage that will glue some junk to your clutch and put a hose clamp around it, and only charges $100

what a complete joke

> niklaus _ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> some huckster in his garage that will glue some junk to your clutch and

> put a hose clamp around it, and only charges $100

>

> what a complete joke

I was willing to pay the $60 to someone (that I thought was experienced) so I didn't have to fuck with sourcing material, the adhesives/bonding/heating etc. and trial-and-error. But as with everything else, if you want something done right- I guess you gotta do it yourself! Garbage-ass business.

Asbestos stock 2-shoe is the best way to go (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account