Higher elevation rejetting

An acquaintance of mine who won't post on here anymore, moved from Geneva, Ohio last year, elevation 670 feet, to Billings, Montana, elevation 3,123 feet, or around 2500 feet higher. He's wanting to rejet the Bing on his JCPENNY Pinto. Any thoughts how many sizes up or down he should go?

Re: Higher elevation rejetting

Probably Fred /

If you’re talking about Richard E’s old bike that’s kitted then maybe 1 size lower maybe none depending on octane,

Ask Richard what octane he set that bike to run on and maybe just run lower octane,

Many stock bikes are set up to be able to go 0 to around 5,000 feet without a jet change but that bike was not stock it was kitted.

Totally normal JBOT /

I run a custom air box on all my bikes, and then if I go up to the mountains I just take off the box.

In my experience it's usually 5-10 jet sizes.

Trent Anderson /

Yeah, it's Richard's Pinto. The kid has a bad rear brake plate from an accident that's hanging up as well, and that may actually be the culprit affecting performance. I just wanted to cover all the angles.

Trent Anderson /

Richard is insisting on Ethanol free gas, but I have no clue if the kid has been compliant and what gas he has available out there. We just don't want him to ship the engine to Detroit if it's just a jet, and if it is an elevation issue, there's no way for someone in Detroit to reproduce the Billings elevation. The kid will have to do it himself or find a local expert.

Probably Fred /

> Trent Anderson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah, it's Richard's Pinto. The kid has a bad rear brake plate from an

> accident that's hanging up as well, and that may actually be the culprit

> affecting performance. I just wanted to cover all the angles.

Yes probably the brake plate and or rear wheel dragging,

A puch with a Bing is very forgiving elevation wise, actually any carburetor on a puch should be able to deal with a couple thousand feet in elevation but Yeah Rich set it up for pure gasoline and he may not be able to get pure gasoline.

Still the dragging is probably the issue,

I really think that he/she whoever should get a stock motorcycle or a car because if you can’t maintain/fix a moped then you shouldn’t have one,

I’ve helped people with their motorbikes and cars over the years some people just don’t get it!

There was lady neighbor who didn’t understand by leaving her lights on in her car overnight in the the bad winter we had that year the battery would freeze and destroy it,

She went through four batteries in one year she just didn’t get it!

She thought well the battery’s dead and just needs a jump, I ruined my alternator that winter jumping her every week,

Something so simple could be so complex it seems,

An accident traumatic enough to deform the brake plate could have caused all sorts of problems.

Can good pics of all that stuff be provided?

If it was kitted and jetted correctly before, then a rich condition would be expected with an elevation increase. So it would four stroke or have rich looking plugs. If that’s not happening, it’s probably something else.

Roffman,

I understand your frustration. I have some 20 year olds in my shop that have limited mechanical abilities. Somehow, the environment these kids are coming up in is completely depriving them of critical thinking and problem solving for physical and mechanical stuff.

They are very intelligent and motivated. I know that eventually they will get it. Rather than let them pass on, I work through it.

I don’t like that he won’t post on here though. Don’t know if that’s some sort of snowflake thing or a grudge. But, I don’t like helping someone that has a bad attitude or work ethic.

Trent Anderson /

Lina leans toward drama. One of her side hobbies is comic books. Lina recently bought some items from a meth head and the deal has gone south. So the kid starts posting about it on a Montana moped site where they met for lack of a better place to vent her frustrations and the Sysop doesn't want the drama spilling all over the website. Deja Vu all over again for the third time. I just hope things get settled, nobody gets hurt, and Lina can get back to riding mopeds again.

> Trent Anderson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> An acquaintance of mine who won't post on here anymore, moved from

> Geneva, Ohio last year, elevation 670 feet, to Billings, Montana,

> elevation 3,123 feet, or around 2500 feet higher. He's wanting to rejet

> the Bing on his JCPENNY Pinto. Any thoughts how many sizes up or down

> he should go?

He's sick and sends you to the doctor's office so he can get better .

Amazing how very thoughtful he is and it almost makes perfect sense . LOL

Good you want to help , but , exactly which handicap has he been inflicted with ?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account