3rd. build E50 72cc Airsal - Unstuffed Crank Clutch shim idea

Long time lurker here. Recently came out of the mOped closet! As the title says 3rd. build - E50 72cc Airsal - CM (treats) Unstuffed Crank, Mild porting tapering to avoid thin areas next to case joints, Mikuni VM18 (my personal fav at this build level), treats jammer clutch. Everything went together so smoothly that I thought I had overlooked something.

The clutch starter plate needed to be an extra .5mm proud. There was no additional shimming down possible, plus extremely thin shims next to a cir-clip worry me, the only other option was to mill the gear, (no thanks). So I created a .5mm that perfectly fit under the starter plate. Blamo, works so well and no ring a ding from the clutch bell. Treats should sell shims for under the starter plate for their jammer clutch. This works well and would not be possible for a stock clutch.

Next build is the Gila. I need an E50 case with bearings on each side of the drive gear for this one.

Peace. Max

20200425_173934.jpg
20200426_170831.jpg
20200429_145944.jpg

Re: 3rd. build E50 72cc Airsal - Unstuffed Crank Clutch shim idea

You did a spacer between the clutch hub and the jammer starter plate? Was the puch starter plate bottoming out in the clutch bell slots?

Max VonEmbs /

I made a shim from .5mm aluminum that fits under the jammer clutch starter plate, thus moving the starter plate .5mm closer to the pressure plate, it works very well. The shim perfectly matches the shape (and bolt pattern) of the jammer clutch starter plate.

Max VonEmbs /
20200426_170831.jpg

The shim matches the shape (all holes included) and fits perfectly over the highlighted area under the starter clutch plate. Because the jammer clutch actually has a removable clutch plate it was an easy solution.

Yeah but now the shoes have too much play.

Max VonEmbs /

They move out to engage and back it to dis-engage and that's it. I considered the in and out potential during fabrication and assembly. Even if the shoes could move "out" toward the back side of the starter plate it would be .5mm max. But the thing is, they don't, they stay in the channel. There is more play than .5mm in the stock three shoe.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account