Add rechargeable batteries to Cats Eye

Rob Abbott /

Please pardon my ignorance of electrical systems, but... I have an older Cats Eye system that uses 4 "D" cell batteries. If I were to use rechargeable batteries, could I recharge them with current from the magneto and, if so, would I need to add a voltage regulator and/or a rectifier?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Add rechargeable batteries to Cats Eye

> Rob Abbott Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Please pardon my ignorance of electrical systems, but... I have an

> older Cats Eye system that uses 4 "D" cell batteries. If I were to use

> rechargeable batteries, could I recharge them with current from the

> magneto and, if so, would I need to add a voltage regulator and/or a

> rectifier?

>

> Thanks in advance.

Possibly, It depends on your mopeds electrical system. You could use a couple 18650 Lithium battery cells hooked up to a small over voltage and over current protection board, and either charge them up manually with a USB style charge port breakout board, or possibly with a rectifier bypass that and just run the generators current into the charge board. Either way seems like a lot of trouble for someone without much electronics knowledge or experience, but I’d be happy to help as best I can. Can you post some pictures of the signals, specifically where the batteries go?

I'm almost certain that my old cateyes were recharged off the lighting coil. Nicad or nihm batteries.

Probably Fred /

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I'm almost certain that my old cateyes were recharged off the lighting

> coil. Nicad or nihm batteries.

There are two styles on cateye signals: the chargeable metal handlebar mount ones that connect to lighting circuit and the cheeper plastic universal almost bicycle type that takes 4D cells flashlight batteries,

The one he is talking about I believe is the cheep universal type that takes 4 D batteries, if that is what he has if it was me I would can use any 6v chargeable battery and just charge it everyday (edited)

If it’s the rechargeable one it would use sub c batteries.

Rob Abbott /
roba OP

Thanks guys. It is the older system that Ken described, shown in these pics.

Cats eye box 1.jpg
Cats eye box 2.jpg

Rob Abbott /
roba OP

Thanks Guthrie. I'd take a whack at it if it were fairly simple (e.g., an in line voltage regulator) but if requires much more than that, I think I'd be better off just pulling the batteries out and recharging them on my work bench periodically. I appreciate your offer of assistance.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account