Added proma to hobbit now it's worse?

Hi guys my stock paII hobbit was getting to 32mph but I fancied more top speed so i added a prima circuit . It is now much lumpier low end and only reaches 30mph. Before I start making things worse, is there anything blatenltly obvious i Should check first? It was running fantastic before I swapped the pipe . Cheers Luke

Re: Added proma to hobbit now it's worse?

Jetting .

Run that pipe with stock jetting and you will seize.

Thanks for the heads up. I did read a lot of reviews on here of the pipe and many people said the jetting would be fine. I guess that not the same for every moped though. I will try and upjet to an 80/82 and see what difference that makes

Justabunchoftrash 646260 /

Yea when I added an expansion on my stock pa I went up like 10 jet sizes

its somethin else, put your stock pipe back on to verify. order stiffer clutch springs and some lighter variator weights.

So I checked the variator today and at the front it's only moving up to about half way. The rear pulley loves fine and seems smooth . Any ideas?

^should be variating close to top. Is your choke getting stuck on the ignition wire?

Inspect the front pulley for wear, if the ramp guides are cracked or missing the ramp can gouge the posts and cause issues

No the choke is well out of the way. Inspecting the belt. It seems to be far to slack. to the point of no return. It meets in the middle with the wheel fully to the rear . It's too slack to even start it. Hence I ended up pedaling home. Does the tension play a big part in variation? I was under the impression that too tight would prevent full variation but not a slack one. Thanks guys I will have a look at the ramps etc... I recently replaced the weights with OEM ones and the ramps seemed ok on inspection but I will try anything at the minute.

Belt too slack won't let the rear pulley variate to its max. Belt too tight will do the same for the front pulley. You need it to be just right or you won't be taking full advantage of the system. If you don't think the front is variating all the way then you need to take it apart and inspect. The caps on the stock variator weights will wear out and keep the pulley from fully variating. The bushing on the moving face could also be sticking, you want to make sure it slides freely throughout the range with the belt off.

Thanks mate , the weights and caps are brand new and they move very smoothly when I pull them with my hand. I've ordered a new belt so hopefully it is to do with the belt tension. I'm still in two minds whether to notch or not.

> Luke W Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I'm still in two minds whether to notch or not.

Hmm , maybe you know what the no notch is like .

Quick update. Ive got a new thicker belt and it seems to be variating fully front and rear now and also I've upjetted so I'm getting up to 34-35mph, but it takes about a mile to get up to top speed. I've drilled out the weights and acceleration is great. Checked for air leaks and it's pretty tight. Any ideas to help get the top speed up? Im reluctant to notch as I've heard reports of non notched mopeds getting up to at least 40mph any help is much appreciated !

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account