My sort of Puch Newport build

Luke Stroehlein /

Hi guys, I decided to make a build thread for my Newport, there's not much left of the original bike but here it goes. I started this in 2014 when my professor gave me a moped that had been sitting in his garage since the 80s. It was super messed up and the engine was seized. I decided I wanted to build a blaster. Here are a few pics to start out with many more to come and the build list.

Build list:

Random:

-kx80 fork with rebuilt rim, shortened front springs, New brake pads, line, and fluid

-welded and modified frame with fuel cap moved to the side of the tank

-extended and reinforced rear swing arm

-gas rear shocks

-fabricated polished aluminum bars

-tachometer

-x grip phone mount

-magura clutch lever

-custom rear brake pedal system with treats shoes

-grimeca snowflake rear rim with sealed bearing conversion

-motion pro long pull throttle

-custom welded seat pan with brown leather jacket seat pad

-custom kickstand brace

Engine:

-ported, polished case with vacuum nipple added to crankcase

-fresh bearings and seals all around, case sealed with yamabond

-dmp crank with 11mm needle bearing

-lightened clutch bell with welded gear, machined to replace bushing with needle bearing

-1977 mopeds super clutch

-all hardware replaced with ss Allen bolts

-polini kit ported and case matched

-4 pedal Reed block

-silicone intake boot

-uni filter

-mikuni 14lph fuel pump

-mikuni tm24

- o ring head

-ngk R spark plug

-hpi mini rotor cdi system with weight

-ngk racing plug wire

-msd blaster ignition coil

-mlm Cali side bleed with packing removed

FB_IMG_1586739514297.jpg
FB_IMG_1586739526541.jpg
FB_IMG_1586739547156.jpg

Re: My sort of Puch Newport build

question? whats the vacuum port in the crankcase for?

> pat splat Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> question? whats the vacuum port in the crankcase for?

I was wondering the same

Luke Stroehlein /

Running a 14lph mikuni diaphragm fuel pump so I don't suffer fuel starvation at high rpms

Luke Stroehlein /

I used soda blasting for the frame and case. It's amazingly effective and you can get all the equipment at harbor freight for dirt cheap if you have a large compressor to hook it up to. More pics to come

FB_IMG_1586739604435.jpg
FB_IMG_1586739614298.jpg

Luke Stroehlein /

A fabbed a top bar and gussets to beef up the frame. Here are some pictures of the mockup before they were welded.

FB_IMG_1586739647231.jpg
FB_IMG_1586739655081.jpg
FB_IMG_1586739660045.jpg

Luke Stroehlein /

Here is the kx80 fork. I shortened the springs. Had to weld on puch cones to get the head of the fork to sit right, put in fresh ball bearings and grease as well

FB_IMG_1586739620582.jpg
FB_IMG_1586739681830.jpg
FB_IMG_1586739689367.jpg

Jeremy Homser /

Why did you put the gas filler on the side?

What is happening with the seat?

Luke Stroehlein /

I chopped the seat off and welded in a plate, I also welded a frame to put a Cafe racer seat on. By the way the white stuff is filler so that the paint will be more smooth. I have a 175 Amp mig that everything is welded with. Here is the fre welded up. I put an initial layer of filler on but am still gonna use either filler primer or one more skim cost of bondo before paint. I also installed a steering damper with adjustable resistance.

FB_IMG_1586739700559.jpg
FB_IMG_1586739710076.jpg
FB_IMG_1586739725304.jpg

Luke Stroehlein /

Fuel filler was moved to the side because I liked the aesthetic and I'm building something unique

Luke Stroehlein /

I rebuilt the engine with all fresh seals and bearings. Lightened the clutch bell and starter plate myself using a church bit on my drill press and a machinists vice. I had a company with a cnc machine bore the gear on the clutch bell so I could fit a needle bearing. Gear is also welded.

FB_IMG_1586739774993.jpg
FB_IMG_1586739779681.jpg
FB_IMG_1586739794374.jpg

Yeah! Less fuel in the tank!

Luke Stroehlein /

I don't mind, it's gonna be much more of a rippin' ped than a cruiser

> Luke Stroehlein Wrote:

>I also installed a steering damper with adjustable resistance.

Last time I wished I had one installed I was doing 120 MPH and the bike went into a death wobble that didn't subside until I broke it down to about 80 .

Talk about brown streaks . LOL

That was a nice Newport.

Luke Stroehlein /

Oh Jesus lol. Fastest I've been is when I maxed out my gs500 at 105mph. This ped, I'm hoping, will break 70. Think it will be good to have the damper on there as some insurance. Port matched the case and enlarged intake and exhaust ports. Also installed the hpi mini internal rotor ignition and set 1.8mm BTDC as a starting point.

FB_IMG_1586739806089.jpg
20200413_112059.jpg
20200413_112051.jpg

Luke Stroehlein /

Got a grimeca snowflake on ebay with the brake and sprocket for only 50 bucks. Chemically stripped it, which took about 5 hours of chemical and wire brushing, then made a painting rig and went through 2 cans of poppy red satin paint.

20200409_101631.jpg
20200416_104407.jpg
20200417_173640.jpg

Luke Stroehlein /

I used Google translate and razze incrociate means "cross breed" in Italian, which is what I'm naming this bike

20200416_112411.jpg
20200416_112401.jpg

That doesn't look like a Puch snowflake but you should be able to get it to work minus a pedal chain.

Also it means "Cross Rays" in this instance, a physical description of the "spoke" pattern

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

I mean, you did technically "lighten" the starter plate, but probably by only 5 to 10 grams or so...should help slightly with oil getting in an out

You have not built a clutch assembly, you have built a grenade.

Especially with mini rotor HPI

Ask me how I know

Super clutch is gonna super bum you out.

todd amundson /

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> Super clutch is gonna super bum you out.

Shut up Daniel

Luke Stroehlein /

You're talking about the counterweight issue right? I actually have the bolt on weight for the rotor to avoid explosion. I read about that when I started this build.

I know the lightening isn't too extreme, honestly increased surface area matters more to me for heat dissipation.

Mike, thank you for the proper translation, though I feel like it means something considerably less cool than I thought.

I know people have had different feelings about the super clutch, if I don't like it, I'll just put in a different clutch. No harm no foul. I used loctite on the screws to keep them from backing out so with a little luck that'll be all it needs.(edited)

Luke Stroehlein /

I made a seat out of a leather jacket I got at a thrift store, some foam, some wood, and some hardware.

20200417_104441.jpg
20200417_211135.jpg
20200418_104954.jpg

Luke Stroehlein /

This is the counterweight I have

Screenshot_20200419-072839_Chrome.jpg

Pretty cool, ambitious for a first build, good luck!

Luke Stroehlein /

Thanks! I'll keep posting updates. I'm having a lot of fun with this. I popped a tube mounting my tire the other day so I made a mad dash to the local motorcycle store right before they closed to get another tube.

Luke Stroehlein /

Got the tires mounted, shinko sr714 16x2.25 on the snowflake, gazelle 17x2.25 on the rebuilt kx80 wheel. Popped two tubes but with elbow grease, swearing, dish soap, and punching myself in the nose when my hand slipped I got them mounted. I'm working on the sealed bearing axle kit for the snowflake, getting the spacers right. I'm rocking a stretched Moby rear fork carved out for a 14mm axle. More pics to come

20200421_135926.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account